Watch out: Chattanooga PD warns community after two ATM skimmers found Tuesday
Before you swipe, give that ATM a closer look - Chattanooga Police say it could have a skimmer.
On Tuesday morning, CPD investigators found card skimming devices on two ATMs, both inside and outside the machines.
The Chattanooga Police Department is asking the community to inspect the machine's card reader and also its paneling. CPD says in this morning's cases, criminals had added a piece of cladding to hide the devices behind it.
Here's some tips from investigators to help keep your money and information safe:
- Check the ATM for tampering
- Shake/wiggle any protruding parts of the machine
- Cover the keypad when entering your PIN
- Check the keypad to make sure there isn’t anything placed over it that moves
- Look for an ATM that’s inside a bank or within sight of a security camera
- Be wary of anyone loitering by machines
- Check bank & credit card statements often
A Chattanooga Police spokesperson says a federal agency is now involved in the investigation, and so they aren't able to specify where the devices were found Tuesday.
If you think the machine has a skimming device, DON'T touch the devices. Instead, investigators say you should tell someone at the location and/or call Chattanooga Police at 423-698-2525.