Man charged with beating up Athens, Tenn. police officer

Jesse Moses (Images: McMinn Co. Sheriff Dept., MGN)

Police in Athens, Tennessee have charged a man with beating up a city police officer.

Police say the incident happened on May 15th at about 3:30 p.m. on Palos Street.

Police say Officers Jackie Holmes and Justin Weir were dispatched to the area in reference to a man, later identified as Jesse Moses, who was reportedly chasing his parents up the street in a vehicle.

As he arrived in the area, police say Officer Weir saw a car that fit the description given by dispatchers. As the patrol came within sight of the car, police say Moses left the area by driving the wrong way down a one-way street.

When Officer Weir was able to catch up to the car, he found that it had been abandoned.

A short time later, Officer Holmes had arrived in the area and spotted Moses hiding in some bushes.

When she tried to put him into custody, police say Moses attacked her. Witnesses later told officers that Mr. Moses smashed the officer’s head into the ground during the struggle. Despite this challenge, Officer Holmes managed to radio for help.

As Officer Weir approached the scene of the struggle, police say Moses ran away again - but not very far. Weir caught up with him and took him into custody.

During their investigation, police say officers discovered that Moses was violating an order of protection that prohibited him from being around his parents. Police say Moses was also with a 15-year-old girl at the time of the incident. She was later found to be a runaway from another county.

Officer Holmes suffered injuries to her face, but was released from the hospital later that day.

Chief Cliff Couch, of the Athens Police Department, said “Unfortunately it is not unusual for suspects to resist when officers take them into custody. This is a reality that officers live with. I commend these officers for the courage and restraint that they showed in this situation. We are all obviously glad that this man was taken into custody and we pray for Officer Holmes’ speedy recovery."

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off