IRONMAN 70.3 returns to Chattanooga, Walker County Sunday
A Chattanooga tradition continues this Sunday, with the swimming, biking and running of the IRONMAN 70.3 race.
Organizers say more than 3,100 athletes, both from all over the world and here at home will take part in the competition.
The event takes athletes south of downtown Chattanooga into North Georgia and Walker County.
Offering a total professional prize purse of $30,000, the race will award a total of 30 age-group qualifying slots for the 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship, which will take place in Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa.
Festivities get underway Friday, with an IRONMAN Village Expo that will showcase the latest products and trends in the industry.
Some local residents have been made aware of some road issues that come with the running of the race:
Swim: Athletes will enter the Tennessee River in a rolling start and head up stream for a short distance before making the turn and heading back down. Spectators will have a great opportunity to watch the swim from the Veterans and Market Street Bridges and the Tennessee Riverwalk. Athletes will exit the water at the beautiful Ross’s Landing Park.
Bike: The bike course takes riders south of town before beginning a 34-mile loop in north Georgia. Athletes can expect incredible views as they parallel Lookout Mountain on this rolling course with great road surfaces. As athletes near the end of the loop they will get the opportunity to ride through historic Chickamauga.
Run: Athletes will have a chance to see the Scenic City as they complete two loops through downtown Chattanooga, The Tennessee Riverwalk, Veterans Bridge, North Shore, Walnut Street Bridge and the beautiful Riverfront Parkway. The final stretch will bring down Riverfront Parkway to finish at Ross's Landing along the Tennessee River.
Swim Start: One Mile up from Transition in Tennessee River (see swim course map for location)
Finish Line: Ross’s Landing, 201 Riverfront Pkwy
IRONMAN organizers still need volunteers! Find out how here.
ROAD CLOSURE DETAILS
Wednesday, May 16 from 9:00 am until 5:00 am on Monday, May 21
- Riverside Drive/Riverfront Parkway between Aquarium Way and Molly Street, Chestnut Street between Aquarium Way and Riverfront Parkway, and the southbound Veterans Bridge ramp to Riverside Drive will be closed for the IRONMAN 70.3 setup and race.
Sunday, May 20:
- River Street and Heritage Landing Drive from Tampa Street to Heritage Landing will be closed from 4 am until 9 am for the IRONMAN 70.3 swim portion.
- The Tennessee River will be closed to pleasure crafts between Ross's Landing and the Chickamauga Dam from 5:00 am until 10:00 am. This includes the Rivermont Park and Tennessee Riverpark boat ramps.
- Market Street and Alton Park Blvd from E 20th Street to W 40th Street will be closed to all southbound traffic and Alton Park Blvd from W 40th Street to W 33rd Street will be closed to northbound traffic from 6:00 am until 9:30 am.
- The right southbound lane of Riverfront Parkway and W 20th Street from Molly Lane to Market Street, the right southbound lane of Market Street and Alton Park Blvd from W 20th Street to W 40th Street, W 40th Street between Tennessee Avenue and Alton Park Blvd, and the I-24 on-ramp and southbound off-ramp at Market Street will be closed from 5:00 am until 1:00 pm and all street crossings will be limited by CPD officers.
- The intersections of St Elmo Avenue at West 42nd Street and Tennessee Ave. and W. 45th Street will be all-way stop controlled from 7:00 am until 1:00 pm. Cyclists will be on Tennessee Avenue and St Elmo Avenue riding with traffic.
- The right eastbound lane of Frazier Avenue between Forest Avenue and the Veterans Bridge, the right northbound lane of Barton Avenue between Frazier avenue and Baker Street, the right northbound lane of the Veterans Bridge between East 3rd Street and Barton Avenue, the right westbound lane of Amnicola Highway between Old Curtain Pole Road and Lindsay Street, Riverside Drive between Lindsay Street and Molly Lane, the Battery Place off ramp from Riverside Drive, Aquarium Way between Riverside Drive and Walnut Street will be closed from 5:00 am until 7:00 pm and all streets crossing this route will be controlled by CPD officers to give right-of-way to the runners for the IRONMAN 70.3 run portion.
Depend on us to keep you posted on this event.