Hamilton Co. school district releases guidance to principals about planned student walkout
The Hamilton County Department of Education (HCDE) has released a set of recommendations for principals ahead of a nationwide student walkout planned for next month.
HCDE spokesman Tim Hensley says that while the school district does not endorse the walkout planned for March 14th, they understand students want their voices heard in light of the deadly mass shooting in Parkland two weeks ago.
The HCDE shared the following suggestions with principals:
- Consider working with your student leadership groups to organize and plan for students who desire to take part in the walkout
- Make sure your faculty is informed and that you are prepared with adequate staff to oversee the time
- Encourage students to hold the walk-out indoors. Possibly the gym, cafeteria, auditorium, etc.
- Have student leaders plan an activity to remember students lost in the most recent incident in Florida
- Ensure plans are in place for students who do not wish to take part in the walkout
- Communicate with students and faculty after plans are in place
"Students that desire to participate in this walkout respectfully and responsibly will be allowed to participate," says Hensley.
The HCDE says the most important consideration for schools to take is to make sure students are safe during these events.
Depend on us to keep you posted.