Firefighters battle freezing temps to contain house fire in McMinn County Wednesday night

Firefighters battled freezing temperatures to put out a house fire in McMinn County Wednesday night. (Image: WTVC)

Firefighters battled freezing temperatures to contain a house fire that broke out in McMinn County Wednesday night.

Our crews arrived on the scene of the fire at 150 County Road 714 in Riceville, Tennessee.

According to Virgil Bryant, a volunteer firefighter with the Riceville Volunteer Fire Department, a space heater was likely the cause of the fire.

Bryant says firefighters responded just about 6:00 p.m. He told News Channel 9 firefighters struggled to battle the flames at first because of the icy road conditions. Crews had to call the Tennessee Department of Transportation to add salt and dirt to the ground to make the roads passable.

Kevin Brock lives in the home with his wife and son. He says the family went out to run errands and came back to find it engulfed in flames.

Brock told News Channel 9 he kept several inside the home because it was so cold out. They perished in the fire.

"I can't put it into words," he said. "I'm just lost right now."

"You know everything was burning," said his wife, Sharee as she describes the hardest part of see her home burn down. "There's nothing you can do."

The family spent the night at their daughter's home, who lives down the street. She started a GoFundMe account to accept any donations to help the family get back on their feet. If you would like to donate to the family, you can visit their page here.

Depend on us to update this story as we learn more.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off