Chattanooga police arrest deadly gas station shooting suspect

The suspect connected with a deadly gas station shooting on Hixson Pike has been arrested by Chattanooga Police.


Emily Brooks made her first appearance in court on Wednesday.

After making a brief appearance, the judge moved the hearing to August 29th.

Depend on us to keep you posted.


The suspect connected with a deadly gas station shooting on Hixson Pike has been arrested by Chattanooga Police.

Police arrested Ember Lee Cash Elm, also known as Emily Brooks, for homicide and possession of a weapon early Saturday morning.

Police say the victim, 28-year-old Eric Burchfield, was shot in his back and died early Friday morning.

According to court records, Burchfield's mother told police her son and the suspect argued earlier that evening. Police say she told them, "Ember killed him." Police say Burch's cell phone showed text messages that showed arguments between Elm and Burchfield.

Police went to Elm's home and arrested her.

Elm escaped from handcuffs and ran away, but officers quickly captured her. While she tried to run away, court records say she tried to get something from an unzipped pouch on a backpack.

An officer kicked the bag away and saw a gun in the pouch.

Elm is charged with criminal homicide and unlawful possession of a weapon.

See previous story below for additional details:

Chattanooga Police say a person was shot and killed early Friday morning on Hixson Pike, and police confirm they have located a person of interest in the case.

You can watch NewChannel 9 reporter Katherine Marchand's update below.

Police say the shooting happened at 3:25 a.m. Officers patrolling in the area noticed the body lying near the BP gas station sign. Police say no one had called 911 to report it before that.

This happened at the BP gas station on Hixson Pike.

Police say they don't believe the incident is gang-related.

Police say they have several leads, and are asking the public to call the tipline at 423-698-2525 if they know of anything else about this case.

Police have not identified the victim, pending family notification.

Police later confirmed there were no other victims.

Authorities cleared the crime scene at about 7 a.m.

Depend on us to bring you the latest details.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off