Tennessee man shot, home invasion suspect held by friends until police arrive

Calvin Carter is charged with 1st degree attempted murder, aggravated assault, felony reckless endangerment, and especially aggravated burglary. (Images: Hamilton Co. Jail / MGN)

(WTVC) -- A group of Tennessee teens fight back against a home invasion suspect by pinning him to the ground and keeping him there until police arrive.

Police say the incident happened at 11:30 p.m. Sunday in the 700 block of Mansion Circle.

Police say the man the group was holding down, was Calvin Carter III.

"As soon as he turned around, that's whenever I just decided to grab him because he didn't have the gun out yet and I didn't want the gun up and pointing at people," said Feeney.

Police say investigators were able to determine that the suspect, Calvin Carter III, was trying to break into the apartment.

"He had bitten me, it originally happened after I got shot. One of my friends came him and we took him down to the ground and while that was going on, my arm was just too close, he bit down," said Finney.

That's when Finney's friend, Tucker Williams got involved.

"I got on top of his chest, I had my knee on his neck and I was telling him like, please quit moving . The police are on the way. It's over already, there's no need to struggle anymore," said Williams.

But Williams said Carter continued to fight, despite several attempts to get him to calm down.

"He kept struggling, swinging at me, he kept grabbing my shirt and I told him, you have one more chance, please stop and he didn't so I hit him twice on the right side of his face," said Williams.

Williams, Feeney and a group of friends held Carter down until police got there.

Recounting what happened hours later, Feeney says, he'd fight back again.

"I really don't regret my decision. I'd do it all over again because if that gun could have left his waistband then who knows, it would have been pointing it at everybody in places that really could hurt them," said Feeney.

Police arrested Carter and charged him with first-degree attempted murder, aggravated assault, felony reckless endangerment and especially aggravated burglary.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off