Update: Man charged after running over fire hose during Shooter's Depot fire Wednesday

Police have charged Joel Dawson with reckless endangerment and crossing a fire hose. (Images: WTVC, CPD)

UPDATE (Thursday):

Firefighters say a man drove an 18-wheeler over a fire hose while they were working to put out the fire at Shooter's Depot on Shallowford Road Wednesday.

A Chattanooga officer charged 47-year-old Joel Dawson with reckless endangerment and crossing a fire hose.

"These fire hoses are lifelines for our firefighters," said Operations Chief Rick Boatwright. "If you bust a fire hose while driving over it, you've taken away the protection the firefighters must have while fighting a fire."

The Chattanooga Fire Department says the fire caused roughly $400,000 in damage to the building, and $30,000 to the contents of the store.

Department spokesman Bruce Garner says the loss would be more, but firefighters were able to protect the showroom and office area, where the ammunition and firearms were located.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

PREVIOUSLY (Wednesday):

Fire crews responded to a fire at Shooters Depot in Chattanooga Wednesday.

Fire officials say everyone was safely evacuated from the building.

Chattanooga fire department spokesman Bruce Garner says the fire spread from the warehouse to an attic space, making it harder for firefighters to fight the flames.

Garner says no one was injured in the incident.

Authorities have closed off Shallowford Road from the 5900 block to Hwy 153 as firefighters work the scene.

Drivers are being told to use Jersey Pike as an alternate route.

NewsChannel 9 has a crew on the scene gathering information.

Chattanooga fire department spokesman Bruce Garner released the following statement after the fire:

"Shortly after noon today, a fire broke out at the Shooter's Depot at 5958 Shallowford Road. John Martin, co-owner of the business, said two customers in the shooting range came to him saying there was a fire. Mr. Martin said he grabbed a fire extinguisher and went to put out the fire, but the smoke was so intense he couldn't see or breathe, so he got everyone out of the building and called 911.

The Chattanooga Fire Department responded initially with six fire companies, but when the first fire companies confirmed they had a working fire, Battalion Chief Brandon Schroyer called for a second alarm response. The fire was located in the attic space above the indoor shooting lanes and was very difficult to get to. The firefighters initially tried an interior attack, but when a portion of the roof caved in, Chief Schroyer ordered all of the firefighters out of the building for their own safety. The firefighters then fought the blaze from the outside, using hand-held hoselines and master streams from several aerials above.

There were some safety concerns about the fire getting to the ammunition, but that is kept in in the showroom and office area, which the firefighters were able to protect. It took more than 50 firefighters with 13 fire companies more than an hour to get the blaze under control. Though the showroom and office area was saved, the area with the shooting lanes and classroom suffered extensive damage. No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

The Shooter's Depot has 15 full and part-time employees."

Viewers have shared pictures with us of smoke rising from the business.

Depend on us to update this story as we learn more.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off