Carbon dioxide leak temporarily shuts down Chickamauga Sonic restaurant

(Image: Mike Mozart, CC BY 2.0)

UPDATE (Thursday):

We reached out to Sonic for comment about this story, and received this statement in response:

"The SONIC franchisee who owns and operates this drive-in takes employee safety very seriously. Due to a carbon dioxide leak that occurred last night between the hours of 5:30 and 7:30 p.m. and was quickly repaired by 8 p.m., drive-in management closed the drive-in out of an abundance of caution to ensure a safe environment for the employees. The local fire marshal and an ambulance visited for a health check of the employees; there were no injuries.

This morning, a technician continued to conduct a wellness test on the air inside the drive-in and has found no additional issues. The franchisee is in the process of installing a carbon dioxide detector in the drive-in as a precautionary measure and will re-open the drive-in today."

PREVIOUSLY:

A carbon dioxide leak at a local restaurant caused them to close for the time being.

Walker County authorities confirms it happened at the Sonic on 11 Bushrod Johnson Ave.

Walker County dispatch says the leak came from one of the restaurant's fountain drink machines.

The store will be closed until a technician can inspect the machine.

A viewer reached out to us Wednesday night, saying his daughter is one of several employees being checked out at a nearby hospital.

Walker County dispatch says no one was seriously hurt.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending