The NewsChannel 9 team tracks the return of colder air throughout the area
Temperatures dropped fast across our viewing area Friday. David Glenn has a chilly outlook for this weekend:
This is a look at snow and ice left on the roads in Monteagle Saturday morning.
The NewsChannel 9 team spread out across the viewing area Friday to keep you prepared for the incoming chill:
James Torrez was live on Signal Mountain Friday night.
Watch our team coverage in our Friday midday newscast below:
Depend on us for updates throughout the afternoon and evening.
While its been light rain/drizzle for many along the Plateau, and rain east of I-75, most of the rain will come to an end. Hopefully this will dry us out some as temps continue to drop. The cold front is now entering the Seq Valley as temps are falling quickly, despite still being 61 in Chattanooga.
Not much has changed for our forecast. The area of snow in NW AL & MS will still clip us this evening as temps fall into the 30s and 20s. I still can't rule out sleet and/or freezing drizzle for the next few hours from west to east. Everything should be all snow later this evening. Snow amounts are minor but a quick burst of snow could leave a good dusting for some. Still can't rule out up to 1" along the Plateau.
Lows in the 20s tonight, even a few teens. Need to watch refreeze on some area roads, especially onces that haven't had a chance to dry this PM.
This plume of moisture(pictured), albeit light, will move right in to cold air. Potential freezing rain mess setting up around Nashville/I-65 and some could move in to Plateau/Seq counties by lunch. ICY ROADS.
Most of the rain is ending, with scattered showers elsewhere. Temps in Chattanooga area /N GA hold steady till just after lunch, and plunge. Got to watch this afternoon.
6:30 AM Update:
Another round of rain moving in. Temps area wide still in the 50s/60s.
30s NOW in Nashville, snowing in Memphis.
ALL OF US IN THE 30s by 4-6pm. (Noon-3 along Plateau). (NOTE PICS)
The StormTrack 9 Team will keep you updated as much colder air returns. Also, the possibility of a wintry mix late day and evening. This could cause some travel concerns at higher elevations.
- Warm for the morning commute with rain and temperatures in the 50s to near 60.
- A quick temperature drop from west to east starting late morning through late afternoon
- The temperature drop could be from 20-25 degrees colder from sunrise to late afternoon
- Rain could transition to a light wintry mix of some sleet/light snow at higher elevations late afternoon
- Higher elevations could have some icy spots on roads due to freezing temperatures
- Some light accumulation possible of a wintry mix of freezing rain/sleet/light snow, especially higher elevations
- Temperatures should plummet to the 20s Friday Night through Saturday Morning
- A few flurries early Saturday, but then dry and cold with highs in the low/mid 30s.
Stay with the StormTrack 9 Team for updates!