MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Update: "70 percent" of dangerous chemicals removed from Wacker this weekend

Wacker.png

UPDATE:

Officials from Wacker met with local fire and EMA departments late Monday morning.

They told us Wacker now says 70 percent of all dangerous chemicals have been removed from the damaged building.

Watch Katherine Marchand's midday report below:

Wacker spokeswoman Lisa Mantooth told us on Monday, "Our commitment to safety remains our focus. As a precautionary step on Friday, structural engineers provided Wacker with instructions to reinforce a portion of the building. This work has been effectively completed. The building is stabilized. The damage to the building where the incident occurred was not as significant as we initially thought."

She also told us no Wacker employee is in any danger.

Depend on us to keep you posted.

PREVIOUSLY:

Cleanup is still underway at the Wacker Charleston plant according to Bradley County Officials.

Bradley County EMA Director Troy Spence says until this weekend, the room that was used to house the damaged piping with chemicals in them, was unsafe for workers to enter to clean-up.

Spence told us he now knows for a fact, that room was made safe to enter this weekend so the clean-up process to continue.

Spence says the explosion two weeks ago damaged the pipes and a small amount of chemicals continued to leak in what's called a burp reaction.

That's when moisture enters the open pipes, causing a small amount of chemicals to come from it.

Spence says those burps are not a threat to the public.

Last week's explosion briefly shut down a portion of the interstate, locked down nearby schools and put production temporarily at a halt

Wacker later published a full-page ad in Cleveland and Chattanooga newspapers apologizing to the community.

But that wasn't enough for some Charleston residents, who protested outside Wacker on Friday morning.

Depend on us to keep you posted with the latest developments of this story.

Trending