WTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
WTCI is proud to announce the winners for the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest. All first place winners from the Tennessee Valley will be entered into the national PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest, where they will compete against area winners from across the country.
The contest encourages children in grades K-3 in the Tennessee Valley and in communities across the country to celebrate the power of language and creativity by creating and submitting original stories and illustrations. WTCI was one of sixty-three (63) public television stations across the country that participated in this year’s contest.
“Congratulations to the winners and thank you to the more than 800 children who sent their stories to WTCI,” said Paul Grove, WTCI president and CEO. “We at WTCI were pleased to bring this opportunity to celebrate young writers in the Tennessee Valley. The many incredible entries we received during the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest demonstrates the impact of WTCI and PBS KIDS’ shared commitment to opening up worlds of words for all young children in our community and across the country.”
The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest is produced annually by PBS KIDS and managed and created by WNED-TV Buffalo/Toronto, and is a part of PBS KIDS Raising Readers, a national initiative that uses the power of public media to build the reading skills of children ages two to eight. More information on PBS KIDS Raising Readers and the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest can be found at pbskids.org/read.
An award ceremony was held at WTCI’s production studios to honor the winners for this year’s contest.
First Place: “The Elephant Ballerina” by Hannah Grace Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “The Sleepover” by Morgan Miller, Chattanooga, TN
Third Place: “The Bear and the Fox” by Andrew Figlestahler, Cleveland, TN
Honorable Mention: “My Family Vacation” by Gracie Tallent, Chattanooga, TN
First Grade Winners:
First Place: “Coco the Pig” by Caleb Johnson, Ringgold, GA
Second Place: “The Carnival Adventure” by Delaney Tallent, Apison, TN
Third Place: “Science the Super Kid” by Logan Thomas, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Liv and Viv” by Olivia Divel, Cleveland, TN
Second Grade Winners:
First Place: “The Cow That Would Not Moo” by Melanie Marcus, Dayton, TN
Second Place: “The Ducky Family of Pond Quack” by Will Paxton, Benton, TN
Third Place: “I See Sea and Sky” by Eli Ingram, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Cat Fight” by Mary Scott, Rossville, GA
Third Grade Winners:
First Place: “Candice Looks Inside” by Harmony Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “Philip’s Doggie Adventures” by Grace Barber, Hixson, TN
Third Place: “The Coolest Vacation Ever” by Emmy Hubbard, Wildwood, GA
Honorable Mention: “Two Months Early” by Madeline Bruce, Signal Mountain, TNWTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police release photos of movie theater gunman's car
- Funeral held in Georgia for Navy officer slain in Tennessee
- Georgia sues over distribution of state law annotations
- Ex-Georgia deputy sheriff pleads not guilty in botched raid
- GA sues nonprofit over distribution of state law annotations
- Ex-Ga. deputy sheriff pleads not guilty in botched raid
- `I am an American' says man who tried to join Islamic state
- Ex-prison guard accused of forcing inmates to have sex
- Fire crews find body while dousing blaze at mobile home
- Residents say sweltering heat persists at Atlanta apartments
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Surgeon who helped pioneer key CPR technique dies at 87
- 6, including children, hurt by falling tree near kids museum
- Police release photos of movie theater gunman's car
- Diner en Blanc: NYC leads world's biggest popup picnic
- Prosecutor: Boy acknowledges starting California wildfire
- Police: Driver in deadly bus crash had suspended license
- September target to fully reopen Interstate 10 in California
- The Latest: Colorado shooter's father noticed changes in son
- Fallin: Daughter's trailer at governor's mansion must go
- Mexico to clean seaweed from coast, monitor floating masses
- UN says it could reach 3 million in Yemen if a pause holds
- US official says Puerto Rico should get access to bankruptcy
- Mexican villagers bulldoze 18th century chapel
- Shooting in Lebanon refugee camp leaves 2 dead, 3 wounded
- Last wild horse dies on Bahamas' Great Abaco island
- The Latest: UN official voices concern about Syria safe zone
- Chile dictatorship burning attack victim: justice arrived
- Mexico national soccer coach fired after journalist's claim
- Canadian military commander facing 10 sex-related charges
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!