Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Woman sent to prison for setting fire to homeless camp
- Woman added to Tennessee Top Ten Most Wanted list caught
- Witnesses say boy, 3, killed when he accidentally fires gun
- Day 8 of deliberations in Atlanta schools cheating trial
- Public input sought on plan for Fort Yargo State Park
- Atlanta streetcar to continue offering free rides
- Woman added to Tennessee Top Ten Most Wanted list
- Ga. officials beginning water safety campaign
- Fireworks bill resurrected, passes Georgia Senate
- Some key facts about Georgia lawmakers' budget plan
- Former FBI agent pleads guilty in drug tampering case
- Police: Fight over $500 lottery win led to murder-suicide
- 2 NYC Jewish cultural institutions to form partnership
- Obama congratulates President-elect Buhari of Nigeria
- Man killed by NSA police had lengthy record
- Drought-stricken California set to measure snowpack
- Silicon Valley trial over cause of teen's suicide to start
- Gary Dahl, creator of the Pet Rock, dies at 78
- In Etan Patz case, defense focuses on the other suspect
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Morocco: Militant cell recruiting IS fighters is dismantled
- Nigerian civic groups suggest rigging in election
- Francis recalls John Paul II's suffering decade after death
- Ukraine refuses to extradite Georgia's ex-president
- African envoy expresses concern over EU migrant center plans
- Super typhoon expected to weaken before reaching Philippines
- Nepal doctors stay away from work to support colleague
- German policeman guilty of murder in cannibalism killing
- Egypt president welcomes return of US military aid
- Israeli leader says world needs "better deal" with Iran
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!