Saturday: A mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon high in the upper 60s and even near 70 in spots. A southwest wind at 10mph.
Saturday Night: Cloudy and dry during the evening. Some light rain possible late in the night and toward daybreak. Expect ... More...
Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Woman doubted man was threat before Ga. shooting
- Audra McDonald to perform at 4th symphony gala
- Audra McDonald performs at 4th symphony gala
- Candidates qualifying for top Ga. primary races
- Candidate fields set for GA May primary elections
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- NJ's Christie raises money with Georgia Gov. Deal
- Morris Brown gets court's OK to sell some property
- SC expects no delay between study and harbor work
- After remains found, ID of person still a mystery
- Sheriff: Snowmobiler dies in avalanche in Utah
- Child sex abuse suspect dies at Boston hospital
- Head of white supremacist gang admits guilt
- Obama, Germany's Merkel discuss Ukraine
- LA police officer killed in crash identified
- Border Patrol releases use-of-force guidelines
- Fla. family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Miss. lawmakers feel pressure over religion bill
- Police: 2 teens dead in Phoenix murder-suicide
- Documents released in teen sex assault case
- Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- Letter bombs found at N Ireland post offices
- Russia, Ukraine feud over sniper carnage
- Russians demonstration in support of Crimea move
- Ukraine may turn to UN General Assembly
- Hillary Clinton urges equality for women and girls
- Small group of protesters urge other nations to stop Crimea vote
- Statue of Egypt pharoanic princess found in Luxor
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Stories of HonorCelebrate black history all February long with Stories of Honor, sponsored by the Tennessee Lottery.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!