Wednesday: Morning clouds, then a mix of sun and clouds along with occasional showers and t-showers with a high in the mid/upper 80s. A west-southwest wind at 5-10mph.
Wednesday ... More...
Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 3 Ga. firefighters hurt during training accident
- Tow truck driver killed on Atlanta interstate
- Historically black colleges face uncertain future
- GA man guilty of faking allergy test results
- 29 officers graduating from Atlanta Police Academy
- GBI: Officer dragged by vehicle, kills driver
- Carter: Immediate ceasefire needed in Gaza Strip
- Police: Resident fights robbery suspects; 1 shot
- Man accused in officer death to be tried in Athens
- Seaplane pilots want to land planes on Lake Lanier
- Board puts soda tax before San Francisco voters
- New York police eye retraining after custody death
- Trial date set in Colorado theater shooting case
- Seeking the limelight, Biden courts key Dem groups
- Bomb talk suspect to plead to immigration charge
- Beretta: Gun law forcing move out of Maryland
- Maryland church built in 1773 ravaged by fire
- Cause of fire at Williston company unknown
- Georgia man pleads guilty to faking allergy tests
- Jury selected after 2 days in porch shooting trial
- Qatar, Saudi rulers meet on Gaza cease-fire talks
- Puerto Rico police probe deaths of 16 cats, dogs
- Mexico's circuses caught up in animal rights spat
- Israel tells airlines not to cancel flights
- Nigerian president meets with parents of abducted girls
- Crash scene still not secure
- Canada deports members of human trafficking ring
- Egypt: 20 'terrorists' carried out border attack
- Infighting as split emerges among Syrian rebels
- Italy arrests smugglers accused of killing dozens
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Health and Beauty
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!