Tonight: Increasing clouds with a low near 43.
Friday (Halloween): Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. Scattered light showers as well. An afternoon ... More...
Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Body found wrapped in bloody sheet outside hotel
- State rests case in Florida A&M hazing trial
- Georgia governor candidates release final ads
- In final Ga. Senate ad, Perdue zeroes in on trust
- Police seek 'very pregnant,' caped robbery suspect
- Defense case may begin case in FAMU hazing trial
- Defense expected to rest case in FAMU hazing trial
- Chilly weather expected across Georgia
- 4 Kansas education commissioner candidates named
- Atlanta to unveil new civil rights markers
- Maine nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride
- Man charged with murder in SWAT officer shooting
- Halloween canceled as police continue manhunt
- Alabama pastor: College official touched me, too
- Pa. coroner auctioning off guns used in suicides
- 2 Louisiana children killed walking to school
- Some neighbors 'fearful,' but nurse hopes for solution on quarantine
- Justice Dept. watchdog faults agency grenade probe
- Funerals set for Washington school shooter, victim
- Harold Gary Morse, developer of The Villages, dies
- Israel recalls ambassador to Sweden
- Israel to reopen Jerusalem holy site
- Central Europe, Britain oppose Ukraine rebel vote
- Family of held Egypt activists on hunger strike
- Bodies of 5 men found inside car in Brazil slum
- EU holds largest-ever cyber security exercise
- US condemns renewed violence in South Sudan
- New UN envoy on Syria briefs Security Council
- Bodies of 48 Sunni tribal fighters found in Iraq
- Zambia: President's body to return Saturday
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!