Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Augusta aims to expand its herd of grass-gobbling goats
- Georgians to visit New York as part of crime-fighting plan
- TSU program exposes students to cutting-edge research
- Firefighters rescue puppy from 75-foot well north of Atlanta
- 2 men killed in pair of Fourth of July shootings in Columbus
- Man drowns in Chattahoochee River northwest of Atlanta
- Girl, 16, killed by stray bullet that enters her home
- Police: Vet steals Humvee from Ga. base, runs from SC cops
- Off-duty police officer, infant killed in 2-vehicle crash
- Drone supporters say ban around Georgia Capitol goes too far
- Flight returns to Denver after problem during takeoff
- Former AG Eric Holder returning to private law practice
- Documents reveal details of Chicago woman's killing in Bali
- 'Stunning' number of extreme drug doses by doc, expert says
- Police search for missing child of man who jumped off bridge
- Fraying family ties cut to heart of theater gunman's defense
- Maryland mom held on $500K after infant found on roadside
- Obama heads to Pentagon for meetings on Islamic State
- Florida man faces sentencing for having sex on the beach
- Treasures from sunken Spanish galleon set for auction
- The Latest: Special bathroom awaits pope in Ecuadorean city
- Russian bomber crashes in Pacific region, both pilots killed
- German court convicts Turkish man of terrorism charges
- The Latest: Thousands await pope in Ecuadorean port city
- Police charge man in bombing of law firms in Canadian city
- Mexican helicopter comes under fire, kills 6 near US border
- Service held in UK to remember Srebrenica massacre victims
- Facing record migrant flows, Hungary tightens asylum system
- Zimbabwean government exports elephants despite protest
- EU official: Terrorists could cross Mediterranean to Europe
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!