Tonight: Partly to mostly cloudy. Low in the upper 30s.
Cooler ... More...
Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Woman shot at MARTA bus stop outside Atlanta
- New streetcar involved in 2 crashes before debut
- Crews work to clear storm damage, restore power
- Power restored to most customers after storms
- Ga. authorities cracking down on driver safety for holidays
- Ga. lane closures halted for holiday travel period
- Tornado warning issued in central Georgia
- Boy dies after being hit by car in Alabama
- 12-year-old boy fatally shot in Savannah
- Forecasters warn of heavy rain, damaging wind in Georgia
- Boston man still in hospital after naked fall
- Pit bull owners, dogs show support for ban's end
- Thousands raised for men exonerated in '75 murder
- Iowa woman locked up after locked out of home
- Murder charges added in KC shootings that killed 5
- Indiana high school honors Hill for cancer fight
- Uncertainty fuels speculation on Ferguson decision
- Judge to rule on 1979 missing boy case confession
- US judge to sentence reputed drug-lord lieutenant
- First lady attends Princeton women's hoops game
- Filipino troops kill 5 Abu Sayyaf gunmen in clash
- Congo: Amnesty says Belgian firm evicted hundreds
- Pope to take on hot EU topics in Strasbourg visit
- Israel leader vows to pass nationality law
- Floods kill at least 32 in southern Morocco
- Official says 6 killed in Afghan market blast
- Erdogan: women are not equal to men
- Deal gives Russia greater control over Abkhazia
- Floods kill at least 17 in southern Morocco
- Hong Kong to clear more protest barricades
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!