Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- New director named for Atlanta's High Museum of Art
- The Latest: Coast Guard: Search for missing boaters ongoing
- Police: Murder-suicide led to deaths of 2 people in Norcross
- Atlanta police chief to head state police chiefs association
- Coast Guard continues search for missing Florida boys
- Man, 71, shot to death outside Family Dollar store
- Coast Guard plane's crew spends long days searching for boys
- Georgia back-to-school tax holiday begins Friday
- Officials: Thieves targeting Atlanta firefighters' vehicles
- Police release photos of movie theater gunman's car
- 160-pound python killed in rural Missouri neighborhood
- The Latest: Colorado theater shooter's mother takes stand
- The Latest: Sister says police video vindicates Ohio driver
- Feds: Western New York man attempted to support IS group
- Attorneys for accused church shooter want out of other cases
- Chicago man cleared after 17 years in prison shot dead
- Judge rejects claim that bourbon was falsely advertised
- The Latest: Indicted congressman rebuts corruption charges
- South Carolina mom charged with burying newborn in yard
- Panicked 911 caller: Dispatcher had no reason to hang up
- Russia vetoes Security Council proposal on MH17 tribunal
- French, German tank makers sign tie-up agreement
- Hunters in court amid growing outrage over lion's death
- Jordan court sentences 8 in alleged Hezbollah attack plot
- Security checkpoint extortion costs Ivory Coast millions
- Outrage grows in Africa and U.S. over killing of protected lion
- Hungary speeding up fence to stop migrants, done by Aug. 31
- Russia formally declares US foundation 'undesirable'
- Turkish deputy PM in new sexist gaffe
- UK man found guilty of attempt to buy deadly ricin online
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!