Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Crews repair damage after Atlanta protests
- GA roads, airport to see 1.3 million travelers
- Man sent to prison for killing woman, wounding man
- Savannah police task force makes dozens of arrests
- Child protective services teams to work overtime
- 21 arrested during Ferguson protests in Atlanta
- Protesters in Atlanta oppose Ferguson decision
- Met Museum gets major gift of African-American art
- Clemency hearing set for Georgia death row inmate
- Dawson County man shot to death during fight
- Obama to hold talks with Jordan's King Abdullah
- Man who fell from ceiling naked faces arraignment
- Ferguson officer says he never wanted to kill
- Inclement weather affecting Thanksgiving travelers
- 2 FBI agents shot, wounded in St. Louis area
- Broken elevator traps disabled Connecticut residents
- Owner of destroyed Massachusetts strip club sues
- Cleveland to release video of boy shot by officer
- Prosecutor faces new criticism over Ferguson case
- Protesters clear out as Ferguson streets calm down
- Europeans debate common stand on Palestine
- AP Interview: Jordan prince calls for tolerance
- Impoverished Lebanese city is target for IS group
- Egypt opens crossing to Gaza for 1st time in month
- IMF says Egypt's economy starting to recover
- Putin's tiger kills 15 goats in northeast China
- 6 killed in rebel attack on house of Yemen leader
- Iran parliament approve science minister nominee
- Once maligned, Iran's Jews find greater acceptance
- Germany to require 30 pct women in top boardrooms
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!