Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Macon woman's index finger bitten off during fight
- Arrest made in 2012 slaying of Augusta security guard
- Atlanta man dies after being shot in leg during argument
- Prosecutor to seek indictment in jail death of Savannah man
- Senior invites soldier who rescued family to graduation
- Dog found dead, hanging on a chain off bridge in Atlanta
- TSA urging holiday weekend travelers to plan ahead
- Ga. police to carry portable defibrillators, Naloxone
- Correction: Slaying Plot-Sentence story
- Alabama to join 'SEC primary' in 2016 presidential race
- Ex-con who worked for rich family arrested in their deaths
- Grand jury indicts 6 officers in death of Freddie Gray
- Suspect in killings of wealthy DC family arrested
- The Latest on Rohingya: US envoy says address root causes
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- Obama to address anti-Semitism at Jewish congregation
- Senate expected to act on NSA collection of phone records
- Oil shouldn't spoil vacations for California beach tourists
- Obama's Senate allies hope to endorse his trade bill Friday
- Fla. mom jailed in son's circumcision case due before judge
- Kremlin spokesman: Russia wants to free 2 held in Ukraine
- Polish brown bear crosses borders, highway, seeking mate
- Balkan countries in talks to help each other join the EU
- Endangered antelope dying off in vast numbers in Kazakhstan
- 18 rebels said killed in Colombian raid on guerrilla camp
- Iraq deputy PM appeals for more help
- Guinea reports 27 new Ebola cases after previous lull
- London homes near Wembley evacuated after WWII bomb is found
- Suicide bomber targets Shiite worshippers in Saudi Arabia
- Egypt's president: Lack of 'justice' fueling extremism
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!