Tonight: A partly cloudy, then fair sky with an overnight low in the low 60s.
Wednesday: ... More...
Women in War - The Roles Women Played
In conjunction with Women’s History Month, Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park invites the public to attend a special program at the Widow Glenn House Site, near Tour Stop #6, on Chickamauga Battlefield. Join a park ranger on Saturday, March 9, 2013, at 2:00 p.m. for a one hour program to learn about the roles local women played before, during and after the second bloodiest battle of the American Civil War.
Riding onto the battlefield during the early morning hours of September 19, 1863, Union Major General William Rosecrans took possession of a small house which sat on a commanding hill overlooking the Dry Valley and LaFayette Roads. He reportedly told the owner, Eliza Glenn, that “she was in great danger” and needed to “depart at once” since the battle was already raging heavily on the eastern side of the battlefield. Regrettably, Eliza’s fortune did not improve as the battle unfolded. Widowed in April 1863 when her husband, a Confederate soldier, died in Mobile, Alabama, her house would burn during the fighting on September 20. Learn more about the Widow Glenn and other stories associated with women in the midst of the Battle of Chickamauga.
The program will take place outdoors on Chickamauga Battlefield. Visitors are encouraged to bring chairs and to dress appropriately for the weather.
For more information about programs at Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, contact the Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center at (706) 866-9241, the Lookout Mountain Battlefield Visitor Center at (423) 821-7786, or visit the park’s website at www.nps.gov/chch.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Death certificate: Rapper Tim Dog died last year
- Obama: Ebola outbreak 'spiraling out of control'
- Boat manufacturing company expanding in south Ga.
- Bipartisan demilitarization bill introduced
- Self-help book has more teams riding 'Energy Bus'
- Ga. man sentenced in assault on sheriff's deputy
- President of Paine College announces resignation
- Judge changes but won't lift Ga. man's banishment
- David Perdue calls on former governor in ad
- Columbus-based payment firm to expand in McDonough
- Officials: Officer chases suspect who shot him
- Police: Man fed up with barking kills neighbor dog
- Parents of missing Virginia student still hopeful
- School bus driver killed during safety drill
- New Jersey loses 4th casino; Trump weighs in
- By The Associated Press
- AP Interview: Feds launch policing bias study
- FBI investigates Missouri officer's stun gun use
- Mom pleads not guilty in 5-year-old son's death
- More than 30 cattle die after Idaho big rig crash
- Doctor to provide medical update on Toronto mayor
- Brazil removed from UN World Hunger Map
- Ban: UN 'taking lead' on global fight of Ebola
- Russian billionaire placed under house arrest
- Tracing the rise of Ebola in West Africa
- Egypt minister projects 6% growth in 3 years
- Syrian aircraft crashes in city held by IS group
- Three international troops killed in car bomb attack in Afghanistan
- Egypt says restoration of oldest pyramid on track
- UN brokers agreement to start Gaza rebuilding
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!