Today: Partly sunny and breezy. Highs in the middle 80s with wind from the Northwest 10-20 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows in the low to mid 60s.
Mostly clear skies for Tuesday through Wednesday with ... More...
Women in War - The Roles Women Played
In conjunction with Women’s History Month, Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park invites the public to attend a special program at the Widow Glenn House Site, near Tour Stop #6, on Chickamauga Battlefield. Join a park ranger on Saturday, March 9, 2013, at 2:00 p.m. for a one hour program to learn about the roles local women played before, during and after the second bloodiest battle of the American Civil War.
Riding onto the battlefield during the early morning hours of September 19, 1863, Union Major General William Rosecrans took possession of a small house which sat on a commanding hill overlooking the Dry Valley and LaFayette Roads. He reportedly told the owner, Eliza Glenn, that “she was in great danger” and needed to “depart at once” since the battle was already raging heavily on the eastern side of the battlefield. Regrettably, Eliza’s fortune did not improve as the battle unfolded. Widowed in April 1863 when her husband, a Confederate soldier, died in Mobile, Alabama, her house would burn during the fighting on September 20. Learn more about the Widow Glenn and other stories associated with women in the midst of the Battle of Chickamauga.
The program will take place outdoors on Chickamauga Battlefield. Visitors are encouraged to bring chairs and to dress appropriately for the weather.
For more information about programs at Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, contact the Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center at (706) 866-9241, the Lookout Mountain Battlefield Visitor Center at (423) 821-7786, or visit the park’s website at www.nps.gov/chch.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 4 Ga. kids hurt by rolling car, charges filed
- 4 children left in locked SUV, Ga. woman arrested
- Ga. woman sentenced in child abuse case
- GA police officer resigns after shooting man's dog
- Man dies in Ga. country club landscaping accident
- SC congressmen say SRS has money for fuel project
- Latvian fiber glass company announces Ga. project
- GA wildlife refuge managers move nuisance gators
- SC mom's arrest sparks child care debate
- UGA Pharmacy students plan tobacco cessation class
- Rare storm at California beach hard to see coming
- 2 military satellites launched on Delta 4 rocket
- Judge tosses most serious charges in foiled plot
- All tickets claimed for LeBron's homecoming show
- Jury chosen in former Va. gov's corruption trial
- Alabama man accused of lighting ex on fire
- De Blasio vows to improve NYPD-community relations
- Palace of 'Queen of Mean' goes on block for $65M
- Suburban Boston tornado modest EF-2 on 0-5 scale
- FBI: Man sent hundreds of hoax letters with powder
- UN presses for Mali peace talks starting Aug. 17
- Brazil's leader calls Gaza conflict 'a massacre'
- Dominican officials destroy 2,000 seized guns
- France offers asylum to Christians of north Iraq
- Malta oil worker kidnapped in Libya released
- Bolivian president seeks votes in the bedroom
- Iraq police find 17 bodies, some bound, in Baghdad
- Syrian army casualties surge, raising death toll
- UN rights chief: Flight 17 possible war crime
- Poland, Britain call for more sanctions on Russia
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!