Tonight: An isolated evening t-shower possible. Otherwise partly cloudy and muggy ... More...
Women in War - The Roles Women Played
In conjunction with Women’s History Month, Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park invites the public to attend a special program at the Widow Glenn House Site, near Tour Stop #6, on Chickamauga Battlefield. Join a park ranger on Saturday, March 9, 2013, at 2:00 p.m. for a one hour program to learn about the roles local women played before, during and after the second bloodiest battle of the American Civil War.
Riding onto the battlefield during the early morning hours of September 19, 1863, Union Major General William Rosecrans took possession of a small house which sat on a commanding hill overlooking the Dry Valley and LaFayette Roads. He reportedly told the owner, Eliza Glenn, that “she was in great danger” and needed to “depart at once” since the battle was already raging heavily on the eastern side of the battlefield. Regrettably, Eliza’s fortune did not improve as the battle unfolded. Widowed in April 1863 when her husband, a Confederate soldier, died in Mobile, Alabama, her house would burn during the fighting on September 20. Learn more about the Widow Glenn and other stories associated with women in the midst of the Battle of Chickamauga.
The program will take place outdoors on Chickamauga Battlefield. Visitors are encouraged to bring chairs and to dress appropriately for the weather.
For more information about programs at Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, contact the Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center at (706) 866-9241, the Lookout Mountain Battlefield Visitor Center at (423) 821-7786, or visit the park’s website at www.nps.gov/chch.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Fiery crash shuts down westbound lanes of I-20
- Rocks tossed from bridge strike vehicles on I-985
- Authorities ID 2 people killed in helicopter crash
- SWAT team called to standoff in Powder Springs
- Southwestern Ga. university president to retire
- GA communities get $39.7 million in federal grants
- Gucci Mane to be sentenced on federal gun charge
- Ex-Atlanta court clerk sentenced in theft
- Helicopter crash kills Alabama Power worker, pilot
- 2 dead in Alabama helicopter crash
- Virginia prepares for possibility of gay marriage
- Latest Ferguson protests are smaller, more subdued
- Age no opponent for some of NFL's veteran stars
- Another American hostage at risk by Islamic State
- Former Va. governor's finances examined at trial
- Official: 4 of 6 child hostages freed in Harvey
- Volunteers a buffer between police, protesters
- Texas' Perry smiles for mug shot, gets ice cream
- American journalist killed in Syria aware of risks
- In 3 deadly NYC jail beatings, no criminal charges
- Iran's parliament dismisses moderate minister
- Jackie Chan expressed shame over son's drug arrest
- UK: man in beheading video appears to be British
- India's Iyengar, who helped popularize yoga, dies
- Protesters plant Ukraine flag on Moscow skyscraper
- Iran's parliament votes out moderate minister
- Pope: Thanks for prayers for my family's grief
- Fighting outside key Ukrainian city kills 9 troops
- Liberian security forces seal slum to halt Ebola
- French ex-prime minister seeks nod for '17 vote
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!