Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
After more than ten years of helping adults in Northwest Georgia learn the gift of reading, Georgia Northwestern Technical College GED staffer Gail Walker has received one of her program’s highest honors.
GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education Coleen Brooks awarded her long-time co-worker with the prestigious GEDD Award in a ceremony held Wednesday on the Gordon County Campus of Georgia Northwestern in Calhoun, Georgia. Walker, who was the student of the year in the GED program in 2001-2002, is the 2013 winner of the honor. “The GEDD award stands for Goals, Excellence, Determination, and Difference,” said Brooks.
The GEDD Award is given each year by the college’s GED program to an alumnus who has succeeded in the world after receiving a GED. Walker first began working at GNTC in 2002, shortly after earning her diploma, as a part-time instructional assistant. Four years later, the college made her a full-time employee and she has excelled at that position ever since.
Walker, the 11th of 12 children in her family, began working at fifteen years of age when she was a car hop at the Chow Time restaurant in Rome, Georgia. “Her desire to work hard for everything in life has been there since the beginning and simply has not changed,” said Brooks.
Never finishing her high school career as a teenager, she would end up at Outboard Marine Corporation in Calhoun, Georgia. She would work there until 2001. That’s when the nationwide company would close its doors for good. What started as a temporary lay-off of four weeks, ended up being permanent for 7,000 employees across the United States; 600 of which were employed at the Calhoun plant.
Without a high school diploma, Walker knew she’d have to earn one to be able to move forward and succeed. “It was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life,” said Walker. “Getting your GED is a second chance for so many people. I’m glad I realized what a great opportunity this was for me.” Walker’s student of the year award (EAGLE award) in 2002 allowed her to represent the college’s GED program on the state level. “So many opportunities have come my way as a result of me making that one decision to get my diploma,” said Walker.
The Georgia Northwestern GED program has graduated more than 2,000 students who have gone on to collegiate and professional careers as a result of their their educational achievements.
Photo: (l-r) Gail Walker, GNTC GEDD Award Winner, and Coleen Brooks, GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education.Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Dunwoody hosting citizenship ceremony on Independence Day
- GA day care faces repairs after vehicle slams into building
- 2 Ga. men plead guilty in militia plot against US government
- Dispute over MLK Bible, Nobel prize headed for mediation
- Civil War trench to be preserved in Marietta development
- 4 rescued after car veers into DeKalb County river
- GA daycare facing repairs after vehicle slams into building
- Former Darien police officer indicted on theft charge
- Police confirm body found off Miami coast is missing woman
- Man sentenced in death of metro Atlanta cab driver
- Eds: Reorders photos. With AP Photos.
- Doctor: Suspect in stabbing better off in juvenile court
- Police: Malnourished, abused 5-year-old Michigan girl dies
- Teacher to face trial on charges he ID'd pupil in sex case
- NYC judge hears arguments on the rights of 2 chimpanzees
- Ex-Madoff Trader sentenced to 10 months home confinement
- Latest on Wal-Mart shooting: Father of injured woman shocked
- The Latest on IS: Detainees killed at theater in Syria ruins
- Baby in respiratory distress found at Atlantic City casino
- Baby found at Atlantic City casino
- Germany wants UK in EU, but warns of limits on concessions
- Floods in northwest Romania leave 1 dead, dozens evacuated
- North Korean couple taken by Libyan Islamic State stronghold
- Holocaust meeting calls on nations to do more for survivors
- Outfits on wheels: In Zimbabwe, cars are used clothing shops
- Bomb blast kills senior police officer in Egypt's Sinai
- Moldova police find Molotov cocktails, detonators, masks
- Int'l court case against Ivory Coast ex-1st lady admissible
- Burundi urges citizens to donate money to pay for elections
- Falling museum visitor grabs at, smashes ancient Greek vase
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!