Friday: Becoming sunny. Still chilly with a high in the mid/upper 40s. A light wind shifting from ... More...
Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition
Two students currently in the Volkswagen Academy’s Automation Mechatronics Program (AMP) won first place in the Skills USA state competition in the Mechatronics category.
Ian Gwaltney and Ryan Womble paired up as a two-person team to solve a simulated production process problem in the Robotic and Automation Technology competition. Teams were given a problem solving exercise to create a flow chart and sequence of operations involving the functions of a robotic workcell. They were judged on efficiency, speed and teamwork.
“We are proud of these students and what they have accomplished. This shows that Volkswagen Academy has the right training programs, the right instructors and that our students can compete nationwide,” said Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager in Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy.
Volkswagen Chattanooga’s Automation and Mechatronic Program is designed to teach and give hands-on training to students in machining, electricity, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, robotics, fault analysis and automation. For more information about the program, please go to www.ChattanoogaState.edu and then click on the Volkswagen Academy button on the main page.
Gwaltney and Womble will go to Kansas City in June to compete nationally in the National Leadership and Skills Conference for Skills USA.
Photo: From left: Ian Gwaltney, AMP Student; Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager of Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy; Ralph Gwaltney, AMP Coordinator, Chattanooga State; Ryan Womble, AMP Student.Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition Friday, May 3 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police fear gunman may be targeting homeless
- Deputy wounded by shotgun expected to recover
- Gwinnett County police: Pedestrian deaths on rise
- Flying tire kills woman as she walks along road
- Metro Atlanta jobless rate falls to 7 percent
- State parks open Thanksgiving, Christmas, Jan. 1
- Legislative panel to discuss DeKalb cityhood
- Sheriff: Teen staged shooting for attention
- Park continues with Snow Mountain, Christmas event
- US adult smoking rate dips just under 18 percent
- Central Florida family rescued from state forest
- Giant balloons draw oohs, ahhs at Macy's parade
- For some, location of Brown's hands irrelevant
- Ferguson gives thanks for community, dressing up plywood on windows and saying a prayer
- Obama calls deployed troops to express Thanksgiving gratitude
- LAPD updates arrests to 145 in Ferguson fallout
- Expectant mom struck by car dies; baby born alive
- Against odds, Chicago school aims for championship
- Hawaii road re-opens amid stalled lava flow
- City's ugly Christmas tree getting single red bulb
- Sinn Fein figure arrested over widow's '72 killing
- Hong Kong protest student leader banned from site
- Peres criticizes Israel's 'Jewish state' bill
- Pope condemns Islamic State violence
- Ebola aid dogged by coordination lags in Guinea
- France returns 250 smuggled Egyptian antiquities
- Explosions and gunfire as Taliban stages attack in upscale Kabul district
- Egypt braces for new Islamist protest
- 11 burned bodies found in southern Mexico
- Judge: British minister did call policemen 'plebs'
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!