Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition
Two students currently in the Volkswagen Academy’s Automation Mechatronics Program (AMP) won first place in the Skills USA state competition in the Mechatronics category.
Ian Gwaltney and Ryan Womble paired up as a two-person team to solve a simulated production process problem in the Robotic and Automation Technology competition. Teams were given a problem solving exercise to create a flow chart and sequence of operations involving the functions of a robotic workcell. They were judged on efficiency, speed and teamwork.
“We are proud of these students and what they have accomplished. This shows that Volkswagen Academy has the right training programs, the right instructors and that our students can compete nationwide,” said Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager in Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy.
Volkswagen Chattanooga’s Automation and Mechatronic Program is designed to teach and give hands-on training to students in machining, electricity, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, robotics, fault analysis and automation. For more information about the program, please go to www.ChattanoogaState.edu and then click on the Volkswagen Academy button on the main page.
Gwaltney and Womble will go to Kansas City in June to compete nationally in the National Leadership and Skills Conference for Skills USA.
Photo: From left: Ian Gwaltney, AMP Student; Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager of Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy; Ralph Gwaltney, AMP Coordinator, Chattanooga State; Ryan Womble, AMP Student.Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition Friday, May 3 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Anheuser-Busch producing canned water for flood victims
- GBI probing deadly police shooting in Carrollton
- Ga mom charged with letting son hit student on school bus
- 15 go to hospital after church bus crash in north Ga
- Georgia Hooters waitress donates kidney to longtime regular
- New lab can create hurricane conditions on demand
- Ga man gets life in slaying linked to embezzlement
- Atlanta police chief named to association board
- Ga. man sentenced to 17 1/2 years on child porn charges
- Henry County family of 8 undergoing rabies treatments
- Correction: Plane Crash-Drinking story
- Latest on Dennis Hastert: Statue to honor ex-speaker on hold
- Teen charged with taking $25K, giving classmates $100 bills
- Latest on Oklahoma officer shooting: Suspect found in closet
- 3rd Navy sailor guilty in case of women recorded in showers
- For O'Malley, a lot riding on Iowa in 2016 campaign
- Trial date set for Indiana man charged with 2 women's deaths
- Latest on flooding: Flooding blocks Dallas-area highway
- Washington Monument reopens after power failure
- The Latest: Shot officer's injuries not life-threatening
- THE LATEST: Prince Ali withdraws from FIFA leadership race
- Syrian militants advance after seizing government stronghold
- Tunisia PM: Destroying migrant boats won't stop Europe flow
- Top Canadian minister to announces he's leaving politics
- THE LATEST: Voting begins to choose next FIFA president
- Croatia passes law compensating rape victims from 1990s war
- Former Tajik commander claims to have joined IS group
- Burundi opposition leader declares election boycott
- Belfast parties to meet in bid to save power-sharing
- EU-skeptic Finnish party joins Cabinet for 1st time
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearCheck here to see who was voted Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!