Tonight: Clear and cool with an overnight low in the mid 40s.
Thursday: Mostly sunny and warmer with an afternoon high ... More...
UTC Chancellor Retire
Roger Brown, the Chancellor for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga says he is retiring.
Chancellor Brown e-mailed a letter to the entire campus Friday afternoon.
He said he would remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in, or until March 31, 2013.
Chancellor Roger Brown's e-mail to the University:
Dear Campus Colleagues,
As all of you know, this has been a tremendously difficult year for me personally, and yet, throughout all of the ups and downs, Carolyn and I received so much love and support from our campus and community families. You will never know how important this has been for me.
And that is why I wanted to make sure you received this announcement from me personally as soon as I was able to let you know that I have decided to retire from the position of Chancellor of this wonderful campus.
It has truly been a privilege to work at UTC and to be welcomed in the hearts of so many. From the beginning, Carolyn and I felt the friendship and warmth from both the campus and the community. As many of you know, we had already begun to make arrangements to retire and make Chattanooga our home, and I certainly plan to still do so.
With the search for a new provost already in the hatching stage, this year already promised to be a busy one. After talking to President DiPietro, we have agreed that the search for a new chancellor should take precedence so that the new leader can have input into the selection of a new provost. With that idea in mind, I anticipate that President DiPietro will name a chancellor search committee soon with the hope of having a new chancellor in place in spring 2013. I have agreed to remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in or until March 31, 2013.
Given this timetable, I suspect that a provost search for this campus will begin a little later than earlier reported, perhaps mid-fall semester, with the thought being that final provost candidates could be identified soon after a new chancellor is selected. This would allow for President DiPietro's wish that the new chancellor be involved in the provost selection.
I realize that this announcement comes while many of you are away for the summer, and I wish I could tell each of you individually, but that is just not possible.
In closing, there is still much to be done this year. All indications point to another record enrollment this fall. Construction projects are spread across campus. Our retention rates are improving. New academic programs have launched and others are in the works.
I appreciate all you do for our students and I pledge to do everything in my power to keep the Chattanooga spirit of achievement strong as I prepare to relinquish the reins to a new leader in the spring.
We shall achieve!
Roger BrownUTC Chancellor Retire
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Savannah beekeeper rescues swarm at restaurant
- Georgia man pleads not guilty in deadly ND crash
- Deal set to sign bill expanding gun rights in Ga.
- Atlanta Public Schools approves record budget
- Grand jury: Deadly use of force unauthorized
- Delay sought in loud music killing trial
- Georgians urged to turn in unused medications
- 2 Ga. schools recognized for green initiatives
- Drug dog bites Ga. deputy during attempted selfie
- Regions announced for GA foster care pilot program
- Soldier convicted in WikiLeaks case gets new name
- Pop star Chris Brown's DC trial delayed for months
- Ex-CEO admits stealing from prominent NYC charity
- 3 charged with sending chemical equipment to Syria
- Sinkhole in Florida seems to be opening again
- Labor Dept. cuts levels of allowable coal dust
- Court won't overturn death sentence for Ky. man
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay
- Washington school bus driver accused of bullying
- APNewsBreak: Clemency after 10 years in prison
- Bahrain moves to deport Shiite cleric
- Ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
- Colombia president reinstates ousted Bogota mayor
- Guyana residents seek improvements to 911 system
- Official: Debris is not likely to be from plane
- Indonesian general says his flashy watch is a fake
- Poland holds security exercise, 1st in decades
- Yemen examines DNA of slain al-Qaida militants
- Sri Lanka to deport UK tourist with Buddha tattoo
- Ferry toll hits 150 as search gets tougher
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!