Today: Mostly sunny and breezy. Highs in the low 80s with wind from the North 10-20 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows around 60.
Highs in the mid 80s the rest of the work week. A few showers ... More...
UTC Chancellor Retire
Roger Brown, the Chancellor for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga says he is retiring.
Chancellor Brown e-mailed a letter to the entire campus Friday afternoon.
He said he would remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in, or until March 31, 2013.
Chancellor Roger Brown's e-mail to the University:
Dear Campus Colleagues,
As all of you know, this has been a tremendously difficult year for me personally, and yet, throughout all of the ups and downs, Carolyn and I received so much love and support from our campus and community families. You will never know how important this has been for me.
And that is why I wanted to make sure you received this announcement from me personally as soon as I was able to let you know that I have decided to retire from the position of Chancellor of this wonderful campus.
It has truly been a privilege to work at UTC and to be welcomed in the hearts of so many. From the beginning, Carolyn and I felt the friendship and warmth from both the campus and the community. As many of you know, we had already begun to make arrangements to retire and make Chattanooga our home, and I certainly plan to still do so.
With the search for a new provost already in the hatching stage, this year already promised to be a busy one. After talking to President DiPietro, we have agreed that the search for a new chancellor should take precedence so that the new leader can have input into the selection of a new provost. With that idea in mind, I anticipate that President DiPietro will name a chancellor search committee soon with the hope of having a new chancellor in place in spring 2013. I have agreed to remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in or until March 31, 2013.
Given this timetable, I suspect that a provost search for this campus will begin a little later than earlier reported, perhaps mid-fall semester, with the thought being that final provost candidates could be identified soon after a new chancellor is selected. This would allow for President DiPietro's wish that the new chancellor be involved in the provost selection.
I realize that this announcement comes while many of you are away for the summer, and I wish I could tell each of you individually, but that is just not possible.
In closing, there is still much to be done this year. All indications point to another record enrollment this fall. Construction projects are spread across campus. Our retention rates are improving. New academic programs have launched and others are in the works.
I appreciate all you do for our students and I pledge to do everything in my power to keep the Chattanooga spirit of achievement strong as I prepare to relinquish the reins to a new leader in the spring.
We shall achieve!
Roger BrownUTC Chancellor Retire
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Unaccompanied youths enroll in Dalton schools
- In GOP South, pushback against Obama climate rules
- Latest Georgia news, sports, business and entertainment
- Parents sue Georgia school system in gym mat death
- Man killed in plane crash on beach was stationed at Georgia base
- Soil type could impede industry on Georgia's coast
- Train collides with high school teacher's SUV
- Ga. woman to make court appearance in hot car case
- Sheriff, pastors to discuss church burglaries
- Ga. health officials seek public input on spending
- Parents sue Georgia school system in gym mat death
- Man charged with car dealer's murder over bad sale
- Cleveland brothers charged in death of 17-year-old who stole dirt bike from their garage
- NYC woman finds wedding dress lost after Sandy
- New Hampshire man arraigned in teen's kidnapping
- Mother of slain Mexican teen sues US Border Patrol
- Half of Yosemite fire evacuees allowed to return
- Tax challenge to Obamacare rejected
- Hawaii health care faces federal threat
- Oak Ridge cancels class to reduce Southern accents
- Canada: Chinese hackers infiltrated government org
- Officials blame Colombia power outage on rebels
- Official: Venezuela tried to pressure Aruba
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested with rats
- Anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Rome amid turmoil
- Nigerian militants bomb bridge, killing 8 people
- Lavrov and Kerry talk about Cold war-era arms deal
- Myanmar information and health ministers step down
- Elegant Louvre Garden infested with rats
- Hamas spokesman denies group is proposing cease-fire
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!