UTC Chancellor Retire
Roger Brown, the Chancellor for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga says he is retiring.
Chancellor Brown e-mailed a letter to the entire campus Friday afternoon.
He said he would remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in, or until March 31, 2013.
Chancellor Roger Brown's e-mail to the University:
Dear Campus Colleagues,
As all of you know, this has been a tremendously difficult year for me personally, and yet, throughout all of the ups and downs, Carolyn and I received so much love and support from our campus and community families. You will never know how important this has been for me.
And that is why I wanted to make sure you received this announcement from me personally as soon as I was able to let you know that I have decided to retire from the position of Chancellor of this wonderful campus.
It has truly been a privilege to work at UTC and to be welcomed in the hearts of so many. From the beginning, Carolyn and I felt the friendship and warmth from both the campus and the community. As many of you know, we had already begun to make arrangements to retire and make Chattanooga our home, and I certainly plan to still do so.
With the search for a new provost already in the hatching stage, this year already promised to be a busy one. After talking to President DiPietro, we have agreed that the search for a new chancellor should take precedence so that the new leader can have input into the selection of a new provost. With that idea in mind, I anticipate that President DiPietro will name a chancellor search committee soon with the hope of having a new chancellor in place in spring 2013. I have agreed to remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in or until March 31, 2013.
Given this timetable, I suspect that a provost search for this campus will begin a little later than earlier reported, perhaps mid-fall semester, with the thought being that final provost candidates could be identified soon after a new chancellor is selected. This would allow for President DiPietro's wish that the new chancellor be involved in the provost selection.
I realize that this announcement comes while many of you are away for the summer, and I wish I could tell each of you individually, but that is just not possible.
In closing, there is still much to be done this year. All indications point to another record enrollment this fall. Construction projects are spread across campus. Our retention rates are improving. New academic programs have launched and others are in the works.
I appreciate all you do for our students and I pledge to do everything in my power to keep the Chattanooga spirit of achievement strong as I prepare to relinquish the reins to a new leader in the spring.
We shall achieve!
Roger BrownUTC Chancellor Retire
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Funeral set for Naval officer slain in Tennessee attack
- Police: 2 dead bodies found inside Norcross home
- Precautionary boil water advisory lifted in DeKalb County
- Police: Landlord finds 2 dead bodies in Norcross home
- Woman's body found in creek at Ga. campsite
- 'Megaload' to slow traffic along Ga. interstates, highways
- Man arrested in shooting aboard Atlanta commuter train
- Experts: Time is an enemy in solving Bobbi Kristina's death
- Bobby Brown feels 'completely numb' after death of daughter
- Mother and her 2 sons perish in central Georgia house fire
- Dozens of brilliant bronze works on display at Getty Museum
- Cabinet secretaries on Capitol Hill again to sell Iran deal
- Short-term highway extension may be way out for Congress
- Man killed by escort possibly linked to missing women
- Police: Body believed to be missing California girl found
- Cleared narcotics officers sue city officials for defamation
- Prison employee accused of helping 2 killers escape in court
- Principal's suicide, forged tests rock promising NY school
- Oil leak caused Marine jet crash in Southern California
- Documents related to unrest after Gray death released
- House of Lords member resigns after tabloid exposure
- Israeli military takes over contested West Bank complex
- Obama to wrap Africa trip with speech to African Union
- Volkswagen sold more vehicles than Toyota in first half
- North Korea official says not interested in Iran-style deal
- Mexico struggles to clean seaweed surge from Cancun beaches
- South Korean PM says MERS threat is over
- Australian charged after police say he planned to fight IS
- Peru decrees warrantless geolocation tracking of cellphones
- Mexico finds cocaine diluted in fruit shipment from Colombia
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!