Tonight: Remaining cloudy this eventing with sprinkles and light rain showers slowly coming to an end. Overnight, expect decreasing clouds as lows drop to around 52. East winds at 5-10mph, becoming light.
Easter Sunday: Sunny, and BEAUTIFUL from sunrise service to ... More...
Unum invests $50,000 in Hamilton County Classrooms
Unum will present 58 Hamilton County school teachers with more than $50,000 in mini-grants at its annual Strong Schools Grant teacher luncheon tomorrow, Jan. 8.
The grants — up to $1,000 each — will help the teachers pay for education materials and programs that engage students and improve their achievement levels.
“There’s great work being done in Hamilton County schools, but we’re recognizing the best of the best,” said Tom White, senior vice president of investor relations for Unum. “Selected out of 144 applicants, these educators will receive grants to help fund worthwhile classroom projects that will provide an even better education for their students.”
The Strong Schools Grants program is part of a multi-year partnership between Unum and the Hamilton County Department of Education. Since 2008, Unum has awarded 271 Strong Schools Grants as part of its commitment of more than $950,000 to Chattanooga public schools. In addition to the Strong Schools Grants program, other initiatives include:
-- Elementary School Technology Grant: In the first phase of the partnership, Unum awarded seven well-performing elementary schools with two state-of-the-art Promethean Collaborative Teaching Systems each. These systems are interactive whiteboards that engage students with vivid images, video and audio.
-- Technology Challenge Grant: To encourage other businesses, organizations and individuals to give, Unum used this grant to match donations to schools specifically for Promethean technology. Fifty-nine Technology Challenge Grants were awarded in the first phase of the partnership.
-- Mentor Program: Through a partnership with Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Unum employees are trained and matched with sixth-grade students at two middle schools.
-- Principal Leadership Academy: The company has given $300,000 to fund a program to train prospective principals in the county school system on how to be strong leaders and effectively manage their schools.
-- STEM High School: Unum provided $100,000 to help fund the build out.
The Strong Schools Grant luncheon will be held in room 151 at Unum from 11:45 am to 1 pm Tuesday, Jan. 8. For more information about the program, please contact Unum employee Cathy Barrett at (423) 240-6741.
Unum invests $50,000 in Hamilton County Classrooms
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. GOP Senate hopefuls try to separate themselves
- Repairs to broken water main to take more time
- Sewage plant sparks smell concerns at garden
- Police probe drowning death in Lake Lanier
- Police probe Saturday slaying of Kennesaw man
- Police recover stolen House clerk's car in Atlanta
- Crews plan repairs for water main break in Atlanta
- Registration deadline to vote in primary near
- Zoo Atlanta has warthog births for spring
- Search launched for dean of UGA Graduate School
- Body found by highway is missing Massachusetts boy
- US weighing military exercises in Eastern Europe
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- Tenn. ammunition plant explosion ruled accidental
- Woman says beau stole her dog, TV on 1st date
- California man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- Creeping landslide devouring part of Wyoming town
- 4 dead, 2 hospitalized after car hits taxi near Houston
- Texas search group, FAA, at odds over drone use
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Attacks kill 16 across Iraq
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter
- Colombia hopes to share Garcia Marquez remains
- Bombs targeting soldiers, shoppers kill 11 in Iraq
- Ministry: 2 killed in apparent Bahrain car bombing
- Confirmed death toll climbs to 33; about 270 missing
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa; three still missing
- Man arrested over murder of ex-IRA leader
- Al-Qaida chief blesses attacks on Egypt security
- Iran general urges Tehran to make new UN pick
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!