Friday (Halloween): Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. Scattered light showers as well. An afternoon high in the upper 50s to low 60s. An increasing North wind at 10-20mph.
Friday ... More...
TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
The Hamilton County STEM High School, a platform school of the Tennessee STEM Innovation Network (TSIN), has received a contribution of $16,500 from the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) for the purposes of expanding STEM learning.
Five other STEM platform schools within the TSIN also benefitted from TVA’s statewide contribution, which totaled $100,000 and was announced today at an event in Knoxville. TVA’s support for public education emphasizes learning activities associated with science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), along with other skill areas that are vital to TVA’s workforce.
“TVA understands that excellence in education is the key to our future,” said TVA vice president Justin Maierhofer. “We support initiatives like the STEM schools that develop a talent pipeline for TVA and its customers. Our employees also support our partner schools by volunteering their time.”
The Hamilton County STEM High School opened this past August with an inaugural student body of 75 freshman students. A new class of freshman will be added each year until the school reaches its full enrollment of 300 students. Led by Principal Dr. Tony Donen, the STEM High School is focused on implementing innovative, hands-on learning models which advance the students’ problem-solving, collaboration and communication skills.
“Our STEM model focuses not only on the core STEM subject areas of science, technology, engineering and math, but also on the learning process itself,” said Dr. Donen. “The technology devices and flexible scheduling we use has allowed the teachers to customize instruction to meet student needs and has given students the opportunity to really take ownership of their own educational experiences.”
TVA’s partnership in the STEM High School will help develop strong teaching practices and expand STEM learning in schools throughout Southeast Tennessee. Over the years, the organization has continuously supported robotics, environmental science, college scholarships and other STEM programs in an effort to enhance workforce capabilities.TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia officials halt guardrail installation
- Lawsuits: Misconduct at fraternity led to rapes
- Ga. voters cast more than 709,900 early ballots
- 2 Atlanta firefighters recovering from burns, fall
- Deal, Carter, Nunn, Perdue make closing pitches
- Former Ga. ethics commission attorney sues agency
- DeKalb Co. crime stats questioned in federal audit
- Fatal Walker Co. fire linked to wood burning stove
- Allman dropped from Georgia lawsuit in train crash
- Perdue, Nunn talk trust, solutions in final ads
- Dallas nurse who survived Ebola to get dog back
- Town official: Halloween back on as manhunt ends
- Town hopes to hold Halloween as manhunt ends
- Grand Canyon receives reports of roaming wolf
- Nevada court says Strip club dancers are employees
- Obama speaks to Myanmar's political leaders
- Official: Man wanted in ambush armed when captured
- 2 Louisiana children killed walking to school
- Sleuths have new hope in search for Earhart plane
- Suspect arrested in taunting of California officer
- Myanmar's president, army chief meet Suu Kyi
- US and Australia drop sanctions against Fiji
- Nations in Americas join in battle against Ebola
- Cali cartel boss' daughter charged with extortion
- French town bans clown disguises after assaults
- Clothing with bodies matches missing Texans'
- Costa Rica volcano spews ash, prompts evacuations
- Senior US diplomat seeks end to impasse in Haiti
- Relatives suspected poison in Utah family deaths
- Burkina Faso president declares state of emergency
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!