TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
The Hamilton County STEM High School, a platform school of the Tennessee STEM Innovation Network (TSIN), has received a contribution of $16,500 from the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) for the purposes of expanding STEM learning.
Five other STEM platform schools within the TSIN also benefitted from TVA’s statewide contribution, which totaled $100,000 and was announced today at an event in Knoxville. TVA’s support for public education emphasizes learning activities associated with science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), along with other skill areas that are vital to TVA’s workforce.
“TVA understands that excellence in education is the key to our future,” said TVA vice president Justin Maierhofer. “We support initiatives like the STEM schools that develop a talent pipeline for TVA and its customers. Our employees also support our partner schools by volunteering their time.”
The Hamilton County STEM High School opened this past August with an inaugural student body of 75 freshman students. A new class of freshman will be added each year until the school reaches its full enrollment of 300 students. Led by Principal Dr. Tony Donen, the STEM High School is focused on implementing innovative, hands-on learning models which advance the students’ problem-solving, collaboration and communication skills.
“Our STEM model focuses not only on the core STEM subject areas of science, technology, engineering and math, but also on the learning process itself,” said Dr. Donen. “The technology devices and flexible scheduling we use has allowed the teachers to customize instruction to meet student needs and has given students the opportunity to really take ownership of their own educational experiences.”
TVA’s partnership in the STEM High School will help develop strong teaching practices and expand STEM learning in schools throughout Southeast Tennessee. Over the years, the organization has continuously supported robotics, environmental science, college scholarships and other STEM programs in an effort to enhance workforce capabilities.TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Billy Dilworth --veteran Georgia, SC journalist -- dies at 80
- 2-year-old girl drowns in south Georgia river
- Atlanta DUI suspect jumps 30 feet from overpass
- Fleeing suspect runs to law enforcement training center
- Flash flood advisories issued in north Georgia
- Event set to honor Declaration of Independence signers
- Security heightened for Fourth of July events, travel
- Flash flood warnings issued in north Georgia
- Feds to retain oversight of Ga. behavioral health system
- Zoo Atlanta acquires bald eagle from Auburn Raptor Center
- 400-foot Ferris wheel stops: All 66 riders safely taken off
- Another 1700s Massachusetts home hit by vehicle
- Authorities: Ferris wheel in Orlando stops, stranding riders
- Washington motel closes after possible Legionnaires' report
- Coast Guard suspends Alaska search for overboard crew member
- NASCAR distances itself from Donald Trump after remarks
- 2 badly burned bodies found in a car in a remote ravine
- Florida bond hearing becomes reunion for childhood friends
- San Francisco: No 'legal basis' to hold shooting suspect
- AP National News Calendar
- Vietnam Communist Party chief to make first US visit
- UN says children being killed in Burundi's violence
- Mexico set to free founder of Michoacan vigilante movement
- El Salvador's 677 murders in June most since civil war
- France to assist Cameroon as it fights against Boko Haram
- Stolen border crossing cards recovered in Mexico
- Pope to Christians: Put aside divisions amid persecution
- Heavy fighting in Syria as Islamic militants, rebels announce new push for city of Aleppo
- Woman injured after bomb explodes at Canadian law firm
- UN leader offers assistance in Guyana-Venezuela dispute
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!