Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
A new report shows Tennessee students are leading the nation in academic growth.
Commonly known as "The Nation's Report Card," the National Assessment of Educational Progress assesses students in fourth and eighth grade reading and math. The report released Thursday shows Tennessee students had the largest growth of any state from 2011-2013, with a 22-point growth across all subject areas. The next closest state in growth was Indiana with 15.
For fourth-grade students, Tennessee went from 46th to 37th in math and from 41st to 31st in reading.
State officials say the improvement is partially due to education reforms over the last few years including a tougher teacher evaluation process.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man shot and killed in Atlanta suburb of Lithonia
- Police identify man shot near Underground Atlanta
- Man stabbed after opening door to his hotel room in Augusta
- Man working on car along road struck, killed by vehicle
- Man faces murder charges after gun fires, striking toddler
- Legislators dub 2015 General Assembly 'year of the child'
- Hall County graduates record number of female firefighters
- Final service for Presbyterian church in Lexington
- Marietta schools superintendent proposes teacher raises
- Man shot in downtown Atlanta parking deck
- Arizona girl dies after swing set breaks suddenly
- Ex-US Rep. Inglis gets JFK courage award for climate stance
- Woman, toddler killed when car hits apartment complex
- Kayaker rescues man who jumped off bridge in suicide attempt
- SC Police stations act as havens for online buyers, sellers
- Touching, funny, messages in obits getting wide audience
- Joyful noise or unholy din? New church 'bells' mean discord
- Troubled forecasters seek way to improve tornado warnings
- Rare all-female team perseveres in Volvo Ocean Race
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US opener of all time
- Rebels kill 8 Indian paramilitary soldiers
- Freed Nigerian captives tell of harrowing experiences
- Small group of nationalist Russian bikers enters Germany
- Spain premier makes visit to 2 west African countries
- Egypt charges 40 over allegedly being Islamic State members
- Memorial to slain French Jewish man vandalized
- John Kerry tries to pacify Israeli worries over Iran deal
- Togo court declares president re-elected from final results
- British leaders in final push before May 7 election
- Congressmen to reconsider separate funding for Iraq factions
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!