Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
A new report shows Tennessee students are leading the nation in academic growth.
Commonly known as "The Nation's Report Card," the National Assessment of Educational Progress assesses students in fourth and eighth grade reading and math. The report released Thursday shows Tennessee students had the largest growth of any state from 2011-2013, with a 22-point growth across all subject areas. The next closest state in growth was Indiana with 15.
For fourth-grade students, Tennessee went from 46th to 37th in math and from 41st to 31st in reading.
State officials say the improvement is partially due to education reforms over the last few years including a tougher teacher evaluation process.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Fireworks bill resurrected, passes Georgia Senate
- Some key facts about Georgia lawmakers' budget plan
- Georgia House, Senate rapidly pass state budget agreement
- Ga. House, Senate reach compromise on transportation bill
- Enticing collegiate athletes would be a crime under GA bill
- Man fleeing Ga. police hits pedestrian before crashing car
- Ga. Speaker says transportation funding bill close to vote
- Fireworks bill tabled without discussion by Ga. Senate
- Teen accomplice to killer of Georgia toddler makes plea deal
- State House backs charge on strip clubs to fight trafficking
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Husband, wife found dead in home, had been cut by chain saw
- Texas measure cuts HIV funds, boost abstinence education
- Tuskegee Airman Leslie A. Williams dies in California at 95
- Prosecutor: Chain saw located in home where 2 found dead
- Texas bill cuts HIV funding, boosts abstinence education
- Bullet prompts partial evacuation, delays at Alaska airport
- Christie spars with teacher at New Jersey town hall
- Airplane strikes car during emergency landing in Minnesota
- Nurse imprisoned in Ohio malnutrition death has new charges
- Leftist Colombian jurist Gaviria dies at 77
- Report: Egypt, Nigeria led world in death sentences in 2014
- Buhari wins in Nigeria, defeating Goodluck Jonathan
- Niger: Troops prevent Boko Haram attack, destroy base
- Danish-born former SS officer Kam dies in Germany at 93
- Cuba delegate reports 'civilized' talks on rights with US
- Talks on Iran's nuclear program will continue into tomorrow
- White House: Talks could be extended
- Congo military leaders sign pledge to combat rape in war
- Vatican hopes to avoid financial scandal during Jubilee year
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!