Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
A new report shows Tennessee students are leading the nation in academic growth.
Commonly known as "The Nation's Report Card," the National Assessment of Educational Progress assesses students in fourth and eighth grade reading and math. The report released Thursday shows Tennessee students had the largest growth of any state from 2011-2013, with a 22-point growth across all subject areas. The next closest state in growth was Indiana with 15.
For fourth-grade students, Tennessee went from 46th to 37th in math and from 41st to 31st in reading.
State officials say the improvement is partially due to education reforms over the last few years including a tougher teacher evaluation process.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man faces murder charge in killing of taxi driver's son
- Sleet, freezing rain possible in north Georgia
- Fulton County police officer shot and killed in line of duty
- Georgia attorney general to launch food drive competition
- Man killed in confrontation with police detectives
- Lawyers: Georgia waffles on execution with cloudy drug
- Emory's Alzheimer's Disease Research Center to get $25M
- Columbus State University to open lab, lounge for military
- Mississippi Power notes new Kemper overrun amid uncertainty
- 5 St. Paul adults charged in multistate sex trafficking ring
- Court hears major fight over health law subsidies
- Mayor: NYC public schools to close on 2 Muslim holidays
- Sheriff calls for changes after 4th teen riot in 4 months
- Carter, Rice to honor Notre Dame's Hesburgh at funeral
SEATTLE (AP) -- It's a job that might make you flush: Find easily accessible restrooms for Seattle-area bus drivers and get paid nearly $100,000 a year.
- Police: Maryland shootings suspect arrested near 1st scene
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- `Guardians of the Galaxy' tops MTV Movie Awards nominations
- Latest on Boston bombing trial: Prosecutor gives openings
- Police: Officer shot and killed in 'ambush' outside Atlanta
- 2 in UK arrested in fraud case linked to Syria extremism
- Claim of 'dirty money' in politics provokes uproar in Iran
- Merkel warns Russia to live up to Ukraine peace deal
- UN envoy to Yemen disappointed by Shiites rebels' stance
- Greek police guidelines on migration control spark confusion
- Suspected German member of Islamic State group arrested
- Russian court keeps Ukrainian pilot behind bars
- Top French court approves extradition of Kazakh banker
- UN: World eating too much sugar; cut to 5-10 percent of diet
- Kenya: Businessmen, ex-officials charged for fraud
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!