Tonight: Evening t-showers, otherwise cloudy and muggy with a low near 70.
Wednesday: ... More...
Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
A new report shows Tennessee students are leading the nation in academic growth.
Commonly known as "The Nation's Report Card," the National Assessment of Educational Progress assesses students in fourth and eighth grade reading and math. The report released Thursday shows Tennessee students had the largest growth of any state from 2011-2013, with a 22-point growth across all subject areas. The next closest state in growth was Indiana with 15.
For fourth-grade students, Tennessee went from 46th to 37th in math and from 41st to 31st in reading.
State officials say the improvement is partially due to education reforms over the last few years including a tougher teacher evaluation process.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police: Resident fights robbery suspects; 1 shot
- Man accused in officer death to be tried in Athens
- Seaplane pilots want to land planes on Lake Lanier
- Authorities identify pregnant woman killed by car
- 2 Fantasy 5 players win $96,813.93 jackpots
- Tropical depression moving westward in Atlantic
- GOP voters in Ga. to decide Senate nominee
- Primary runoff for Ga. schools post, Congress
- 2 Ga. schools recognized for environmental work
- Tropical depression forms in central Atlantic
- Man charged in Oklahoma with child abuse in Kenya
- Boehner: No border money without policy changes
- Hospitalized Nazi guard suspect, 89, gets bail
- Cooler weather aids crews fighting Washington fire
- Man accused of enslaving woman to be sentenced
- Hunt on for large, exotic snake in New Jersey lake
- Man guilty of cliff push faces August sentencing
- Stocks open higher; Comcast, Lockheed gain
- Wild's Vanek helping federal probe in New York
- Fire burns in industrial part of North Dakota town
- Kerry: Cease-fire won't be enough
- Thailand's junta adopts interim constitution
- German court: chronically ill could grow marijuana
- Putin: Russia will facilitate plane investigation
- China's typhoon toll rises to 46 dead, 25 missing
- Turkey: police detained for 'spying' and wiretaps
- China ex-officials see reprisals for baring abuses
- Iraq Christians flee Mosul after militant threats
- Trains collide in South Korea; 1 dead, dozens hurt
- T-shirt typo turns heads at Mandela bicycle ride
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Health and Beauty
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!