Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
A new report shows Tennessee students are leading the nation in academic growth.
Commonly known as "The Nation's Report Card," the National Assessment of Educational Progress assesses students in fourth and eighth grade reading and math. The report released Thursday shows Tennessee students had the largest growth of any state from 2011-2013, with a 22-point growth across all subject areas. The next closest state in growth was Indiana with 15.
For fourth-grade students, Tennessee went from 46th to 37th in math and from 41st to 31st in reading.
State officials say the improvement is partially due to education reforms over the last few years including a tougher teacher evaluation process.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police seek emails from DeKalb CEO in fraud investigation
- Medical examiner: Man shot himself in police confrontation
- Atlanta sale features items seized by feds from bridal shop
- Police investigate double shooting in DeKalb County
- Police address mix-up leaves man, officer wounded, dog dead
- District investigates mass baptism at Carroll County school
- Expo planned for military veterans, others looking for work
- Police: Tip leads to new search for teen missing since 2007
- Georgia parole board releases transgender inmate who sued
- The Latest: Names released in Atlanta police shootings
- Oklahoma man handed life sentence in machete killing
- Ex-corporal: Tulsa sheriff failed to act on deputy criticism
- Zoo still closed, about 3,000 powerless after Phoenix storm
- South Carolina officer fired, accused in off-duty shooting
- Iran nuclear deal now assured of survival
- Officials investigate mass baptism on school football field
- The Latest: Lawyer cites 'Angola Three' inmate's age, health
- Canadian pleads not guilty at 4th trial to killing 2 in 1988
- Ohio reviewing high school team's use of tiger cub mascot
- The Latest: Hearing for 6 officers starts in Baltimore
- Czechs to stop detaining Syrian migrants heading for Germany
- Norwegian convicts get new home in Dutch prison
- Boko Haram extremists in Nigeria kill 26, including children
- The Latest on Bangkok: Police say suspect was in blast area
- 2 cases of polio found in Ukraine, caused by mutated virus
- Syrian state TV: Car bomb in port city of Latakia kills 10
- UN rapporteur raps Egypt over Al Jazeera English case
- Russia's Putin commemorates victory over Japan in WWII
- 3 migrants or refugees missing off Greek island found safe
- Gunmen kill 2 Yemeni Red Cross workers
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!