Steve Angle Named as New UTC Chancellor
An “accomplished scholar” and “proven team builder” has been named the 17th leader of The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, recommended by UT President Joseph DiPietro and approved by the UT Board of Trustees on Friday, March 1, 2013.
Dr. Steve Angle, senior vice president at Wright State University, will officially become the new chancellor of UTC on July 1, 2013.
“Steve is an ideal fit for UTC. He knows what it takes to run a metropolitan campus, and I am confident he and his family will be embraced by the community. He has been a successful faculty member and researcher, and that adds value to his ability to be a leader,” DiPietro said. “Our priority is to make UTC the best institution it can be and to continue the progress that has been made in Chattanooga. I believe Steve will help UTC accomplish its goals and introduce new aspirations.”
Angle believes filling vacant leadership positions is critical and those searches need to begin immediately. He also expects to get to know the campus and its culture during his first months on the job.
Angle said he was drawn to UTC because of the opportunity to make a difference at a metropolitan university that’s “right downtown. It’s not a university off isolated, it’s part of the community. It will have a huge impact on the future of the region and Chattanooga. To see them grow together with excellence is an exciting opportunity.”
He is most concerned that students who decide to come to UTC have the chance to thrive in their new environment. He wants to talk with students so that they can tell him not what he wants to hear, but what they really feel.
“How do we treat freshmen in that very critical first semester? How do we help them if they are floundering? There are many different sides to it, not just in the classroom, but being on their own for the first time in the dorm. How do we help support them? Do we provide the right structure?” he asked.
Angle hopes to meet with student leaders on a regular basis, so that he can stay connected. Bradley Bell, President of the UTC Student Government Association, served on the search committee for UTC Chancellor.
“Students are excited about Dr. Angle’s appointment because he has an open and charismatic personality,” said Bell. “Dr. Angle will be able to connect well with UTC students.”
Before his tenure began at Wright State in 2007, Angle served as dean of the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences and director of the Agricultural and Natural Resources Program at the University of California, Riverside.
The new chancellor will replace Roger Brown, who retired September 30, 2012. Dr. Grady Bogue, retired professor of leadership and policy studies at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, has served as interim chancellor.
Angle earned a bachelor’s degree in chemistry at the University of California, Irvine; a master’s degree in organic chemistry at the University of California, Los Angeles, and a Ph.D. in organic chemistry at the University of California, Irvine.
Angle is married to Dr. Dominique Belanger. He is the father of Zoe, Ian, and Brad.
Steve Angle Named as New UTC Chancellor
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Fire in Jones County scorches 3 acres
- Emory, CDC team up to train hospitals in Ebola treatment
- GBI seizes guns while investigating slaying of Cobb couple
- Atlanta mayor explores Civic Center sale outside of auction
- Sheriff's association opposes medical marijuana bill in Ga.
- 1 Fantasy 5 player wins jackpot for $238,690.08
- GBI investigates shooting of man by Sandy Springs police
- Beverly Hall lawyers say she's still too sick to stand trial
- Gwinnett man gets 5 years for stealing insurance premiums
- Cobb County jury convicts man for helping girlfriend steal
- CrossFit gym closed after complaints of slamming barbells
- Cops save beaten puppy buried alive in snow; owner arrested
- Navy abandons 'Global force for good' to broaden appeal
- Ala judges weighing whether to perform same-sex weddings
- Pile of daunting challenges ahead for next defense secretary
- After historic balloon journey, crew plans landing Saturday
- NYC to pay $5M to kin of man killed in 'Mafia cops' case
- San Francisco police detain man in human remains case
- Bill Cosby's show in Ohio draws a few protesters
- Prison for NYC duo accused of abusing partly paralyzed woman
- Fire at Bangladesh plastics factory kills at least 13
- Bahrain revokes citizenship of IS group ideologue
- Ex-spy chief wanted in Colombia for wiretaps surrenders
- Morocco, France mend long spat, restore legal collaboration
- Fire devastates major Russian library
- Iraqi libraries ransacked by Islamic State group in Mosul
- Officials say bombings kill 9 people around Iraq's capital
- German World War II panzer ace Otto Carius dies at 92
- Test of gun finds only DNA of deceased Argentine prosecutor
- Venezuela allows security forces to use firearms in protests
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!