SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
MARIETTA, Ga. (AP) -- A federal audit says Cobb County must repay about $558,000 it received from the Federal Emergency Management Agency after a severe storm in 2009.
- College Football Hall of Fame opens in Atlanta
- UGA to tear down aging structures around the state
- Barrow, Allen both target Obama in early TV ads
- Report: Costs for ethics agency suit to increase
- Valdosta speed limit to increase to 70mph on I-75
- Moody AFB to train Afghan pilots on light plane
- Former Ala. band director arrested on sex charges
- FBI director: Counterterrorism is top mission
- Weather service confirms tornado in Gilmer County
- Residents say assault case erodes trust in police
- Mom of boys with Lyme disease fights for chickens
- National Zoo celebrating panda's first birthday
- Thousands turn out for rally over chokehold death
- Crutches might have caused Ferris wheel cab to tip
- Trial gets juicier with ex-Va governor's testimony
- Sharpton urges peaceful rally over chokehold death
- Mayor: Jackie Robinson West 'pride of Chicago'
- Texas marijuana farm a rare find near border
- Chicago's Pullman site could become national park
- Kurds protest in Paris against Islamic State group
- China says 8 convicted terrorists executed in west
- Sweden: Protesters injured by mounted police
- Quakes surge around Iceland volcano; no eruption
- Migrant boat carrying 250 capsizes off Libya
- Sierra Leone makes hiding Ebola patients illegal
- Egypt calls for open-ended Gaza cease-fire
- Iraq investigating Sunni mosque attack
- Philippines to pull out of Golan Heights, Liberia
- India police re-arrest fasting activist
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!