Today: Sunny with below average temperatures for mid April. An afternoon high from the around 63 degrees. ESE wind at 10-15 mph.
Tonight: A clear sky and still chilly. But, most areas locally should be above freezing. An overnight ... More...
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Up to 100 students hit by blast of pepper spray
- Moniz raised MOX alternatives with Russia
- SC seeks ruling in nuclear fuel funding lawsuit
- Pedestrian struck by car, killed in Cobb County
- Man sentenced to hard labor for indecent exposure
- Heavy rain leads to sewage problems in Valdosta
- Thieves steal House clerk's car outside Capitol
- Public memorial for Herb Emory set for Saturday
- Labor officials form Georgia safety partnership
- US energy secretary to tour Georgia Tech
- Judge stays most of Ohio gay marriage ruling
- Death toll in Washington mudslide rises to 39
- Man charged with marathon hoax due in court
- Driver killed in 1 car accident near Erwinville
- Cargo ship grounded in windy Chesapeake Bay
- Ford to offer 50th anniversary Mustang
- 3 rescued from ship taking on water in New Orleans
- Jill Biden promotes Post-9/11 GI Bill website
- Obama, Biden to announce $600M for job grants
- Marathon suspect seeks dismissal of some charges
- UN deploys Ugandan guard unit in Somali capital
- 20 killed as Islamic extremists rampage in Nigeria
- NKorea complains over barber's Kim Jong Un poster
- Venezuelan crisis talks show signs of progress
- Tanzanian president warns Congo rebels to disarm
- Ex-editor admits hearing hacked voicemails in 2004
- Army: Jordan air force strikes cars near Syria
- Parliament to elect Lebanon president on April 23
- UK lawmakers slam lax security in Taliban attack
- Gunmen kill 9 on bus in Ethiopia near dam project
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!