SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- In Supreme Court loss, death penalty foes see an opening
- Smyrna police to begin wearing body cameras
- Largest Southern Co. subsidiary enters rooftop solar market
- Georgia gas, hotel taxes to increase starting Wednesday
- Finalist named for Georgia Regents University presidency
- Georgia gas taxes to increase starting Wednesday
- Embattled rebel flag reassessed at Georgia's Stone Mountain
- Man drowns in state park in south Georgia
- Teens storm Georgia Wal-Mart in wild rampage of destruction
- 2 Fantasy 5 players win jackpot worth $100,509.28
- Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerks who refuse licenses
- White House fence jumpers beware: Metal spikes being added
- Grenade-shaped perfume bottle leads to courthouse evacuation
- Endangered Mexican gray wolves born at suburban Chicago zoo
- Internal Veterans Affairs watchdog retires amid criticism
- Kansas Supreme Court stays lower court's order on school aid
- 3 indicted in brutal rape, killing of Baltimore teen
- Remains of schooner raised from Lake Champlain back to Navy
- Teen gets 25-to-life as accomplice in sledgehammer slayings
- Hawaii OKs traditional burials involving burned corpses
- Man accused in Boko Haram abduction of Chibok girls arrested
- French soldiers accused of sexual abuse of minors in Africa
- US senator on visit to Venezuela amid diplomatic detente
- Police replace soldiers on security duty in big Rio slum
- Yemen fighting allows 1,200 prisoners to flee
- Israel deports Gaza flotilla activists
- US opening market to Argentina, Brazil beef imports
- Rights group says airstrikes in Yemen killed many civilians
- Jobs program needed for Syrian refugees, UN official says
- The Latest: Thousands demonstrate in Athens for 'yes' vote
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!