Today: Rain ending and clearing skies. An afternoon high in the upper 50s to near 60.
Tonight: A fair sky and seasonably cold with a low in the mid/upper 30s.
Saturday: Sunny early, then a mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon ... More...
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- After remains found, ID of person still a mystery
- Cafe owner wants to rebuild after devastating fire
- KSU in talks with artist after removing her work
- Ga. airport concessions overhaul making progress
- Eastern European ambassadors to meet in Atlanta
- Ga. Department of Labor hosting job fair
- Taxis, limos upset over rules for tech competition
- Federal storm aid being offered to 39 GA counties
- Gay hiring fears hurt Baptist agency fundraising
- Ga. members of Congress sign letter on harbor snub
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago
- Abbas: No recognition of Israel as Jewish state
- Colorado launches campaign to stop stoned driving
- Opening statements to begin in general's sex trial
- Obama to promote education agenda at Miami school
- A snapshot of US job market on eve of Feb. data
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Putin
- Kansas high court to rule in school funding suit
- Experts: Case of burned Texas boy problematic
- Obama, Japanese PM discuss Ukraine in phone call
- AP Interview: Karzai's brother on Afghan vote
- German survives on flies while lost in Outback
- Syria's Assad hails Russia's takeover of Crimea
- Kerry meets with Jordan's king over peace plan
- Activists: 17 rebels die in battle for Syrian town
- German president to visit massacre site in Greece
- Turkish PM threatens to ban Facebook, YouTube
- Saudi Arabia reports 1 more death from new virus
- Malaysian couple to hang for murder of maid
- 2 people shot, wounded near Thai protest site
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Stories of HonorCelebrate black history all February long with Stories of Honor, sponsored by the Tennessee Lottery.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!