SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 2 Georgia men sentenced for robbing postal workers
- Senate sends bill detailing school takeover to governor
- Police chief: Shooting investigation to be reviewed by GBI
- Man charged in noose left on integration statue at Ole Miss
- 3 arrested, charged in death of man who was decapitated
- Lockheed to pay $2M to settle allegations it overbilled govt
- Georgia House defeats bill preventing plastic bag bans
- Bill allowing third-party lending for solar panels to Deal
- Deal signs order requiring readiness for marijuana law
- Police: Hammer-wielding intruder shot dead inside Macon home
- Oregon's pink chicken mystery solved; owner explains
- Police report claims misconduct in officer body camera case
- Girl, 4, sneaks out, hops bus in search of 3 a.m. slushie
- Ex-police officer indicted in Kansas City-area stun gun case
- Gift returns: Sterling wife wants house, $1 million
- No pay for ex-inmate cleared in murder, but not other crimes
- Ole Miss chancellor and trustees: Job talks continue
- Southern Baptists discuss race, slavery and segregation
- Obama urges expansion of 'take child to work' day
- Gowdy: Clinton wiped email server clean, deleted all emails
- Venezuela to present anti-US petition at summit with Obama
- Guatemala arrests gang suspect in journalist's killing
- Mexico sets 25 pct pollution cut by 2030 for climate talks
- Hezbollah leader slams Saudi intervention in Yemen
- Greek ferry reaches island port after stranded for 2 days
- Snowden meets Swedish lawmakers in Moscow
- AP Interview: Ukraine PM: Russia could spark new offensive
- Report: Cluster bomb wounds 6 boys in southern Lebanon
- UN draft resolution would not lift Libya arms embargo
- Northern Chile works to recover after floods kill 9
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!