SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man shot to death while visiting friends in Atlanta
- Authorities say man's body found after fire at Canton home
- Ludacris kicks off 10th annual LudaDay with celebrities
- Atlanta Ballet's artistic director ending tenure at company
- 2 Georgia men charged in North Dakota in bad checks scam
- 4 men arrested in meth bust at apartment
- Mental health counselor, workers indicted in Medicaid fraud
- New project at Atlanta museum focuses on LGBT civil rights
- Police seek emails from DeKalb CEO in fraud investigation
- Medical examiner: Man shot himself in police confrontation
- Father denies using drain cleaner to try and kill daughter
- The Latest: Greece sees 230,000 migrants arrive this year
- Former Austin police officer charged in girlfriend's death
- The Latest: France holds emergency meeting on migrants
- The Latest: Turkey detains 4 suspected human smugglers
- The Latest: Serbia sees 'huge problems' with Hungary's plan
- The Latest: Czechs release 230 detained migrants
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- Officials: King cobra on the loose, escaped home in Orlando
- The Latest: Hungarian PM says migrant crisis is German issue
- Iran's top leader: No nuclear deal unless sanctions lifted
- Iran says Assad has 'pivotal' role in any Syria solution
- Ebola transmissions over in Liberia, enters 90-day watch
- Pope eyes unity, not division in talks with Israel's Rivlin
- Death toll from IS attack on Yemeni mosque rises to 28
- Israel unveils 1,800-year-old sarcophagus
- NATO opens military center in Lithuania amid Ukraine crisis
- Hungary announces migrant crackdown on the Serbia border
- Report: 2,000 fleeing Syrians drowned in Mediterranean
- City hall in Ukraine's Kiev cancels school amid heat wave
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!