Scholarship for Area Pharmacy Students
Marie Chisholm-Burns, PharmD, MPH, FCCP, FASHP, dean of the College of Pharmacy at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC), has announced a new endowed scholarship through a $25,000 donation from the Chattanooga Area Pharmacists Society (CAPS). The society presented the gift in memory of Reichle B. Chandler, a 1971 UT College of Pharmacy graduate, and a 1985 MBA graduate from UT Chattanooga. The endowment will be used to fund a scholarship for newly admitted or already enrolled students in the UT College of Pharmacy who hail from Hamilton or Bradley counties in Tennessee.
CAPS is an association of some 75 pharmacists and pharmacy technicians from Hamilton and Bradley counties. In August, 35 guests, including members of the society and other health care professionals, joined Dean Chisholm-Burns for a Chattanooga reception.
“Endowed scholarships play a significant role in supporting our students,” the dean stated. “We appreciate the society’s willingness to honor their colleague and our alumnus with this perpetual gift. Deserving pharmacy students will be forever grateful for your generous gesture.” Endowed scholarships are invested in order to generate annual interest payments. The interest helps to fund a student’s education every year but the principal of the gift is never touched.
The Chattanooga Area Pharmacists Society is a professional organization composed of pharmacists and pharmacy technicians from diverse practice settings and representative of all sectors of pharmacy. The group is dedicated to strengthening the profession by providing quality continuing education in a social environment, and by helping deserving pharmacy students with educational scholarships.
As the flagship statewide academic health system, the mission of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center is to bring the benefits of the health sciences to the achievement and maintenance of human health, with a focus on the citizens of Tennessee and the region, by pursuing an integrated program of education, research, clinical care, and public service. In 2011, UT Health Science Center celebrated its centennial: 100 years advancing the future of health care. Offering a broad range of postgraduate training opportunities, the main UTHSC campus is located in Memphis and includes six colleges: Allied Health Sciences, Dentistry, Graduate Health Sciences, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy. The UTHSC campus in Knoxville includes a College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, and an Allied Health Sciences unit. In addition, the UTHSC Chattanooga campus includes a College of Medicine and an Allied Health Sciences unit. Since its founding in 1911, UTHSC has educated and trained more than 53,000 health care professionals on campuses and in health care facilities across the state. For more information, visit www.uthsc.edu.
Scholarship for Area Pharmacy Students
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Tennessee man pleads guilty to defrauding northwest Ga. bank
- Retrial of suspended DeKalb County CEO set for Monday
- Officer in fatal Smyrna shooting returns to work
- Anime, videogame fans gather for Atlanta convention
- Ala. federal judge arrested last year to resign from bench
- Ga. state patrol: Teen dancing in road caused serious crash
- Ga. deputy accidentally shot during training exercise
- Officials vote to fire Ga. teacher accused of allowing sex
- Teen charged as an adult in school bus shooting
- Ga. man sentenced for unemployment fraud
- Bus crash blocks northbound lanes of Interstate 5 in Oregon
- Oklahoma man shot, killed by police after fight over rescue
- Latest on flooding: Dallas police report 2nd flooding death
- Former quadriplegic runs, walks to show others they can
- Toddler drowns in Ohio pond on same day her brother is born
- AP source: Hastert paid to keep old sex abuse claims secret
- Ala judge: Death row inmate got 'raw deal' in murder trial
- Latest on flooding: More heavy rain falls in Dallas area
- Study sees benefit from more extensive breast cancer surgery
- Sharpton tells Cleveland to stay peaceful, keep fighting
- EU protests Russian blacklist of European politicians
- Czechs remember ethnic Germans who died in postwar expulsion
- Gay-rights activists clash with foes in Moscow, 15 detained
- Report: Ex-Georgian leader named governor of Ukraine region
- Heat wave eases in India after killing nearly 2,000 people
- Italy: 4,200 more migrants saved off Libya's coasts, 17 die
- Activists say Syrian army strikes kill 45 people in Aleppo
- US, Iran accelerate nuclear talks a month before deadline
- Pashtuns refuse to bury dead from Pakistan bus hijackings
- 15 wounded in 2 explosions in restive southern Philippines
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!