Scholarship for Area Pharmacy Students
Marie Chisholm-Burns, PharmD, MPH, FCCP, FASHP, dean of the College of Pharmacy at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC), has announced a new endowed scholarship through a $25,000 donation from the Chattanooga Area Pharmacists Society (CAPS). The society presented the gift in memory of Reichle B. Chandler, a 1971 UT College of Pharmacy graduate, and a 1985 MBA graduate from UT Chattanooga. The endowment will be used to fund a scholarship for newly admitted or already enrolled students in the UT College of Pharmacy who hail from Hamilton or Bradley counties in Tennessee.
CAPS is an association of some 75 pharmacists and pharmacy technicians from Hamilton and Bradley counties. In August, 35 guests, including members of the society and other health care professionals, joined Dean Chisholm-Burns for a Chattanooga reception.
“Endowed scholarships play a significant role in supporting our students,” the dean stated. “We appreciate the society’s willingness to honor their colleague and our alumnus with this perpetual gift. Deserving pharmacy students will be forever grateful for your generous gesture.” Endowed scholarships are invested in order to generate annual interest payments. The interest helps to fund a student’s education every year but the principal of the gift is never touched.
The Chattanooga Area Pharmacists Society is a professional organization composed of pharmacists and pharmacy technicians from diverse practice settings and representative of all sectors of pharmacy. The group is dedicated to strengthening the profession by providing quality continuing education in a social environment, and by helping deserving pharmacy students with educational scholarships.
As the flagship statewide academic health system, the mission of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center is to bring the benefits of the health sciences to the achievement and maintenance of human health, with a focus on the citizens of Tennessee and the region, by pursuing an integrated program of education, research, clinical care, and public service. In 2011, UT Health Science Center celebrated its centennial: 100 years advancing the future of health care. Offering a broad range of postgraduate training opportunities, the main UTHSC campus is located in Memphis and includes six colleges: Allied Health Sciences, Dentistry, Graduate Health Sciences, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy. The UTHSC campus in Knoxville includes a College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, and an Allied Health Sciences unit. In addition, the UTHSC Chattanooga campus includes a College of Medicine and an Allied Health Sciences unit. Since its founding in 1911, UTHSC has educated and trained more than 53,000 health care professionals on campuses and in health care facilities across the state. For more information, visit www.uthsc.edu.
Scholarship for Area Pharmacy Students
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Pilot killed in Pickens County plane crash identified
- Father, sons sentenced for roles in a shooting at motel
- Former Georgia doctor guilty of distributing painkillers
- Macon suspect says she shot her boyfriend in self-defense
- Flames engulf motorcyclist and his bike at gas station
- Shooter opens fire on taxicab in Atlanta, wounding passenger
- MARTA police offer safety service to protect fearful patrons
- Pilot killed in Pickens County plane crash
- Autopsy: Football player's death due to heart disease
- Man charged with raping fiancTe's 12-year-old daughter
- The Latest on the Million Man March anniversary: The return
- Michigan man fatally shot after he hit officer with crossbow
- Black men gathering for Million Man March 20th anniversary
- John Boehner's here to stay, for now, with nothing to lose
- Eds: With AP Photos.
- Judge invalidates rule against mountain protests
- Records fall as high heat envelopes Southern California
- First lady to christen Navy submarine named after Illinois
- The Latest: Callers frantic in reports on Arizona shooting
- US weighing Russian response on flight safety guildlines
- The Latest: North Korea shows off missiles, drones in parade
- Suspected jihadists attack central Mali, kill official
- The Dalai Lama says Buddhist culture most important to him
- Danish zoo plans to publicly dissect lion
- Pakistani PM says he wants to revive Afghan-Taliban talks
- 30 killed, 126 injured in Ankara bomb attacks
- Gas container explodes in restaurant in China, killing 17
- The Latest: Kim Jong Un appears at N. Korea military parade
- China starts operating lighthouses on South China Sea reef
- Cuba submits latest draft UN resolution against US embargo
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!