Tonight: Partly cloudy and seasonably cold with a low in the low/mid 30s.
Sunday: A mix of clouds and sun, then cloudy through the afternoon with a high in the low 50s.
A rather unsettled pattern of off and on showers possible Monday night into ... More...
Scholarship for Area Pharmacy Students
Marie Chisholm-Burns, PharmD, MPH, FCCP, FASHP, dean of the College of Pharmacy at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC), has announced a new endowed scholarship through a $25,000 donation from the Chattanooga Area Pharmacists Society (CAPS). The society presented the gift in memory of Reichle B. Chandler, a 1971 UT College of Pharmacy graduate, and a 1985 MBA graduate from UT Chattanooga. The endowment will be used to fund a scholarship for newly admitted or already enrolled students in the UT College of Pharmacy who hail from Hamilton or Bradley counties in Tennessee.
CAPS is an association of some 75 pharmacists and pharmacy technicians from Hamilton and Bradley counties. In August, 35 guests, including members of the society and other health care professionals, joined Dean Chisholm-Burns for a Chattanooga reception.
“Endowed scholarships play a significant role in supporting our students,” the dean stated. “We appreciate the society’s willingness to honor their colleague and our alumnus with this perpetual gift. Deserving pharmacy students will be forever grateful for your generous gesture.” Endowed scholarships are invested in order to generate annual interest payments. The interest helps to fund a student’s education every year but the principal of the gift is never touched.
The Chattanooga Area Pharmacists Society is a professional organization composed of pharmacists and pharmacy technicians from diverse practice settings and representative of all sectors of pharmacy. The group is dedicated to strengthening the profession by providing quality continuing education in a social environment, and by helping deserving pharmacy students with educational scholarships.
As the flagship statewide academic health system, the mission of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center is to bring the benefits of the health sciences to the achievement and maintenance of human health, with a focus on the citizens of Tennessee and the region, by pursuing an integrated program of education, research, clinical care, and public service. In 2011, UT Health Science Center celebrated its centennial: 100 years advancing the future of health care. Offering a broad range of postgraduate training opportunities, the main UTHSC campus is located in Memphis and includes six colleges: Allied Health Sciences, Dentistry, Graduate Health Sciences, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy. The UTHSC campus in Knoxville includes a College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, and an Allied Health Sciences unit. In addition, the UTHSC Chattanooga campus includes a College of Medicine and an Allied Health Sciences unit. Since its founding in 1911, UTHSC has educated and trained more than 53,000 health care professionals on campuses and in health care facilities across the state. For more information, visit www.uthsc.edu.
Scholarship for Area Pharmacy Students
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Coach won't be sidelined by Lou Gehrig's disease
- Usher seeks restraining order against woman
- 2 bodies found in northwest Atlanta house
- Name stories: Tum Tum, God's Wonder, Shady Eden
- No struggling Ga. hospitals create stand-alone ERs
- TVA backs off controversial tree-cutting policy
- UGA vet school to host shelter medicine conference
- Hearings delayed in officials' suits against Columbus
- Savannah city employees donate 25,204 cans of food
- Former Atlanta officer sentenced to prison
- Police brutality protesters rally at Mall of America
- Fort Worth firefighters use oxygen to save cat
- Police: Man in elf costume charged with DWI
- US dismisses North Korean denial, proposal for joint probe
- Officer kills teen who attacked him with machete
- President Obama's Hawaii vacation: Day 1
- Man kills self in police chase, injuring couple
- 4 teens die in fiery head-on crash in Pennsylvania
- 3 killed in car crash on way to Mexico funeral
- Protesters against Cuba-US plan gather in Miami
- French police shoot dead knife-wielding assailant
- Kenya to US: Our terror laws are better than yours
- Cubans imprisoned in US appear before parliament
- Kidnapped Mozambican businessman released
- Robbers strike at Berlin's famed KaDeWe store
- Extremists in Nigeria lining up elderly and shooting them
- Bahrain 'terror blast' wounds 3 police
- Russia dismisses new US sanctions as useless
- Liberia holds Senate vote amid Ebola fears
- Pakistan officials: US drone strike in northwestern tribal area kills 5 militants
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!