Tonight: A clearing sky and more comfortable with a low in the mid/upper 60s. A light north wind.
Friday: Sunny and a little less humid. Hot, with an afternoon high in the upper 80s to near 90. A west wind at 5-10mph. An isolated ... More...
Scholarship for Area Pharmacy Students
Marie Chisholm-Burns, PharmD, MPH, FCCP, FASHP, dean of the College of Pharmacy at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC), has announced a new endowed scholarship through a $25,000 donation from the Chattanooga Area Pharmacists Society (CAPS). The society presented the gift in memory of Reichle B. Chandler, a 1971 UT College of Pharmacy graduate, and a 1985 MBA graduate from UT Chattanooga. The endowment will be used to fund a scholarship for newly admitted or already enrolled students in the UT College of Pharmacy who hail from Hamilton or Bradley counties in Tennessee.
CAPS is an association of some 75 pharmacists and pharmacy technicians from Hamilton and Bradley counties. In August, 35 guests, including members of the society and other health care professionals, joined Dean Chisholm-Burns for a Chattanooga reception.
“Endowed scholarships play a significant role in supporting our students,” the dean stated. “We appreciate the society’s willingness to honor their colleague and our alumnus with this perpetual gift. Deserving pharmacy students will be forever grateful for your generous gesture.” Endowed scholarships are invested in order to generate annual interest payments. The interest helps to fund a student’s education every year but the principal of the gift is never touched.
The Chattanooga Area Pharmacists Society is a professional organization composed of pharmacists and pharmacy technicians from diverse practice settings and representative of all sectors of pharmacy. The group is dedicated to strengthening the profession by providing quality continuing education in a social environment, and by helping deserving pharmacy students with educational scholarships.
As the flagship statewide academic health system, the mission of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center is to bring the benefits of the health sciences to the achievement and maintenance of human health, with a focus on the citizens of Tennessee and the region, by pursuing an integrated program of education, research, clinical care, and public service. In 2011, UT Health Science Center celebrated its centennial: 100 years advancing the future of health care. Offering a broad range of postgraduate training opportunities, the main UTHSC campus is located in Memphis and includes six colleges: Allied Health Sciences, Dentistry, Graduate Health Sciences, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy. The UTHSC campus in Knoxville includes a College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, and an Allied Health Sciences unit. In addition, the UTHSC Chattanooga campus includes a College of Medicine and an Allied Health Sciences unit. Since its founding in 1911, UTHSC has educated and trained more than 53,000 health care professionals on campuses and in health care facilities across the state. For more information, visit www.uthsc.edu.
Scholarship for Area Pharmacy Students
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man injured in Sandy Springs apartment shooting
- Ga. governor chides president over young migrants
- Teen's complaint seeks schooling during pregnancy
- Ga. investigated complaint against Dalton plant
- Ga. teen sues for in-home classes during pregnancy
- Casino company offers apology after boat got stuck
- Construction worker dies after falling from tower
- Georgia releases student growth tool
- Witnesses to plane crash give differing accounts
- Bus stranded after mechanical woes, driver illness
- Deliberations in Ventura trial to enter Day 4
- Doctor describes Pennsylvania hospital shooting
- Navy secretary says combat ship costs will decline
- Talks may lead to pause in Gaza fighting, UN school in Gaza attacked
- White House: Obama offers Netherlands condolences
- Cuban hijacker appeals 20-year US prison sentence
- 2 women convicted of deadly OC nightclub beating
- Alaska train to resume service after cars derail
- Man says he shot burglar who said she was pregnant
- Phoenix breaks temperature with record high of 116
- Black boxes from Taiwan air crash investigated
- Chicken off McDonald's HK menu after food scandal
- S.Korea lab fails to find out how ferry owner died
- Australian reporter imprisoned in Egypt to appeal
- Witness: Teen's plane didn't show obvious distress
- UN urges quick implementation of CAR cease-fire
- 6 to stand trial in group home case in Mexico
- Trinidad pair cleared of caging protected animals
- 3 charged in Nicaragua bus attacks that killed 5
- Uruguay leader thirsty for Paraguay's yerba mate
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!