Scholarship for Area Pharmacy Students
Marie Chisholm-Burns, PharmD, MPH, FCCP, FASHP, dean of the College of Pharmacy at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC), has announced a new endowed scholarship through a $25,000 donation from the Chattanooga Area Pharmacists Society (CAPS). The society presented the gift in memory of Reichle B. Chandler, a 1971 UT College of Pharmacy graduate, and a 1985 MBA graduate from UT Chattanooga. The endowment will be used to fund a scholarship for newly admitted or already enrolled students in the UT College of Pharmacy who hail from Hamilton or Bradley counties in Tennessee.
CAPS is an association of some 75 pharmacists and pharmacy technicians from Hamilton and Bradley counties. In August, 35 guests, including members of the society and other health care professionals, joined Dean Chisholm-Burns for a Chattanooga reception.
“Endowed scholarships play a significant role in supporting our students,” the dean stated. “We appreciate the society’s willingness to honor their colleague and our alumnus with this perpetual gift. Deserving pharmacy students will be forever grateful for your generous gesture.” Endowed scholarships are invested in order to generate annual interest payments. The interest helps to fund a student’s education every year but the principal of the gift is never touched.
The Chattanooga Area Pharmacists Society is a professional organization composed of pharmacists and pharmacy technicians from diverse practice settings and representative of all sectors of pharmacy. The group is dedicated to strengthening the profession by providing quality continuing education in a social environment, and by helping deserving pharmacy students with educational scholarships.
As the flagship statewide academic health system, the mission of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center is to bring the benefits of the health sciences to the achievement and maintenance of human health, with a focus on the citizens of Tennessee and the region, by pursuing an integrated program of education, research, clinical care, and public service. In 2011, UT Health Science Center celebrated its centennial: 100 years advancing the future of health care. Offering a broad range of postgraduate training opportunities, the main UTHSC campus is located in Memphis and includes six colleges: Allied Health Sciences, Dentistry, Graduate Health Sciences, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy. The UTHSC campus in Knoxville includes a College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, and an Allied Health Sciences unit. In addition, the UTHSC Chattanooga campus includes a College of Medicine and an Allied Health Sciences unit. Since its founding in 1911, UTHSC has educated and trained more than 53,000 health care professionals on campuses and in health care facilities across the state. For more information, visit www.uthsc.edu.
Scholarship for Area Pharmacy Students
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Rascal Flatts to headline Rock 'n' Roll Savannah Marathon
- Police suspend search of wells for teen missing since 2007
- Police investigate killing of man south of Atlanta
- Water park set to open in North Augusta next year
- Soldier charged in the death of fellow soldier in home
- Police's mobile app hopes to assist during holiday weekend
- New president chosen for Southeastern Technical College
- Georgia releases first results of new standardized test
- Man shot to death while visiting friends in Atlanta
- Authorities say man's body found after fire at Canton home
- The Latest on a Marine helicopter accident that killed 1
- Court calls man's prison term of up to 216 years 'excessive'
- The Latest: Jailed clerk's husband says she won't resign
- AM Prep-Kickers
- Tropical Storm Fred expected to degenerate in Atlantic
- AM Prep-Cooler Copy
- Near LA's Koreatown, pastor tries to lift veil on drug abuse
- Fired regulator: Brown pushed to waive oil safeguards.
- Review cites problems at Texas hospital during Ebola crisis
- Hunt for police officer's assailants could bring subdued holiday in Illinois recreation area
- 4 men plead guilty in major London jewel heist over Easter
- Sinai peacekeeping official says force attacked in white car
- The Latest: More migrants rescued from sea off Greece
- Spanish train drivers go on strike but impact appears muted
- Denmark: ex-PM candidates for UN refugee agency top job
- The Latest: British leader pledges more help for migrants
- South Africa's Nobel laureate Desmond Tutu leaves hospital
- Official: Islamic militants destroy ancient tombs in Syria
- Ukraine's right-wing party leader questioned in Kiev
- Pakistan renews commitment to facilitate Afghan peace talks
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!