Tonight: Cloudy with some brief light rain possible. Mixing with some flurries & light snow at higher elevations. An overnight low in the mid 30s. Any resulting accumulation in the mountains should be light.
Thanksgiving Day: Cloudy, ... More...
Reggie White to be Honored at Howard
Pro football legend Reggie White will be recognized by the Pro Football Hall of Fame and Allstate Insurance Company in Chattanooga on May 13 as part of “Hometown Hall of Famers™,” a national program honoring the hometown roots of the sport’s greatest coaches, players, and contributors with special ceremonies and plaque dedication events in local communities.
A legendary NFL defensive end and former standout athlete at Howard School of Academics & Technology, the legacy of Reggie White will be recognized with a “Hometown Hall of Famer™” plaque during a special ceremony at 10:00 a.m. ET on Monday, May 13, in the school’s auditorium, where the plaque will live permanently to serve as an inspiration for the school’s students and athletes. Sara White,
White passed away in December 2004 at the age of 43 and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006. Reggie White’s wife, will be on-hand to accept the plaque on behalf of the White family. The presentation will be made by Charles White, Reggie White’s father.
“To be part of a program that brings the prestige and tradition of the Pro Football Hall of Fame to communities like Chattanooga is an honor for Allstate, our agents and employees,” said Lisa Cochrane, Allstate’s senior vice president of marketing.
The ceremony will be attended by Howard School of Academics & Technology students, faculty, staff, alumni and White’s family members. Dr. Paul Smith, principal of Howard School of Academics & Technology, will serve as the Master of Ceremonies.
In addition to the plaque, a commemorative Reggie White “Hometown Hall of Famers™” road sign will be on display in Chattanooga.
A defensive end from the University of Tennessee, White was drafted in the first round by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 1985 NFL Supplemental Draft after playing two seasons in the United States Football League. That year, he was named the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year and tied for the team lead with 13 sacks.
After eight seasons in Philadelphia with a total 123 sacks, White, also known as “The Minister of Defense” after becoming an ordained minister at the age of 17, went to play for the Green Bay Packers. He helped the Packers steadily improve and led them to a victory in Super Bowl XXXI. White retired from the NFL in 1998, but made his return for one more year to play with the Carolina Panthers in 2000.
The three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year retired as the NFL’s all-time sack leader with 198. He was a 13-time Pro Bowl selection and voted first-team All-Pro 10 times in his 15-year career. White was named to the NFL’s All-Decade Teams of the 1980s and 1990s as well as the 75th Anniversary Team. His number 92 has been retired by the Tennessee Volunteers, Philadelphia Eagles and Greey Bay Packers.
Fans can visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame website for more information on the “Hometown Hall of Famers™” program, and can view event videos at www.youtube.com/allstate.
Reggie White to be Honored at Howard
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- US adult smoking rate dips just under 18 percent
- Dispute between Ga youth coaches ends in stabbing
- Budget could force Coast Guard changes at Eufaula
- Crews repair damage after Atlanta protests
- GA roads, airport to see 1.3 million travelers
- Man sent to prison for killing woman, wounding man
- Savannah police task force makes dozens of arrests
- Child protective services teams to work overtime
- 21 arrested during Ferguson protests in Atlanta
- Protesters in Atlanta oppose Ferguson decision
- 4 people shot at Pennsylvania mall barbershop
- Ferguson grand jury papers full of inconsistencies
- Homeless man beaten to death in San Francisco
- Police identify man found after Ferguson car fire
- Affidavit: Minn. man kept Syria travel plot secret
- Researchers discover 'pre-cancers' in blood
- Boy's family: Cleveland officers reacted quickly
- Christie tells what goes into his mashed potatoes
- Grand jury documents rife with inconsistencies
- Judge frees alleged Islamic State recruit
- Group reports uptick in Haiti cholera patients
- Venezuela charges Maduro foe in alleged plot
- Congo detains 6 UN peacekeepers
- American among hostages targeted in Yemen raid
- Gangster 'Mad' Frankie Fraser dies at 90
- Bulgaria imam charged with terrorism incitement
- Spy balloons give police new view of Jerusalem
- Israeli leader seeks to revoke rights of inciters
- AP's Euler wins French presidential photo prize
- Boko Haram kills 20 villagers in near Chibok
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!