Today: Mostly sunny and less humid. Hot, with an afternoon high in the upper 80s to near 90. A Northwest wind at 5 mph.
Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid/upper 60s.
Saturday: Sunny ... More...
Reggie White to be Honored at Howard
Pro football legend Reggie White will be recognized by the Pro Football Hall of Fame and Allstate Insurance Company in Chattanooga on May 13 as part of “Hometown Hall of Famers™,” a national program honoring the hometown roots of the sport’s greatest coaches, players, and contributors with special ceremonies and plaque dedication events in local communities.
A legendary NFL defensive end and former standout athlete at Howard School of Academics & Technology, the legacy of Reggie White will be recognized with a “Hometown Hall of Famer™” plaque during a special ceremony at 10:00 a.m. ET on Monday, May 13, in the school’s auditorium, where the plaque will live permanently to serve as an inspiration for the school’s students and athletes. Sara White,
White passed away in December 2004 at the age of 43 and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006. Reggie White’s wife, will be on-hand to accept the plaque on behalf of the White family. The presentation will be made by Charles White, Reggie White’s father.
“To be part of a program that brings the prestige and tradition of the Pro Football Hall of Fame to communities like Chattanooga is an honor for Allstate, our agents and employees,” said Lisa Cochrane, Allstate’s senior vice president of marketing.
The ceremony will be attended by Howard School of Academics & Technology students, faculty, staff, alumni and White’s family members. Dr. Paul Smith, principal of Howard School of Academics & Technology, will serve as the Master of Ceremonies.
In addition to the plaque, a commemorative Reggie White “Hometown Hall of Famers™” road sign will be on display in Chattanooga.
A defensive end from the University of Tennessee, White was drafted in the first round by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 1985 NFL Supplemental Draft after playing two seasons in the United States Football League. That year, he was named the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year and tied for the team lead with 13 sacks.
After eight seasons in Philadelphia with a total 123 sacks, White, also known as “The Minister of Defense” after becoming an ordained minister at the age of 17, went to play for the Green Bay Packers. He helped the Packers steadily improve and led them to a victory in Super Bowl XXXI. White retired from the NFL in 1998, but made his return for one more year to play with the Carolina Panthers in 2000.
The three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year retired as the NFL’s all-time sack leader with 198. He was a 13-time Pro Bowl selection and voted first-team All-Pro 10 times in his 15-year career. White was named to the NFL’s All-Decade Teams of the 1980s and 1990s as well as the 75th Anniversary Team. His number 92 has been retired by the Tennessee Volunteers, Philadelphia Eagles and Greey Bay Packers.
Fans can visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame website for more information on the “Hometown Hall of Famers™” program, and can view event videos at www.youtube.com/allstate.
Reggie White to be Honored at Howard
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ex-secretary in Douglas Co. DA's office indicted
- Hundreds see James Brown film premiere in Augusta
- Gunman robs Athens sex shop, assaults customer
- Airport plan prompts pollution, noise concerns
- Ethics complaint filed over New York fundraiser
- Jury convicts man of killing pregnant girlfriend
- Woman shot, killed by police south of Atlanta
- Man shot in Sandy Springs dies at hospital
- UGA seeking vice president for instruction
- Atlanta federal offices to reopen after outage
- US says China tested anti-satellite missile
- Radar captures mayfly swarm on Mississippi River
- Woman gets 4 years for stealing $5M from nonprofit
- After teen pilot's crash, how young is too young?
- Marathon bomb suspect's lawyers seek leaks hearing
- Fired Ohio State band director vows to clear name
- Obama's UN envoy takes lead role in plane response
- Deterrence a goal and challenge at Texas border
- Hearing set in Bourbon Street fatal shooting
- New photos show wandering wolf OR-7 has 3 pups
- Russia: McDonald's food has 'too many calories'
- Nigeria confirms first Ebola death
- French investigators head to Mali crash site
- Venezuela official seeks immunity in Aruba ruling
- Afghan Taliban leader warns against pact with US
- US fighter jets escort plane back to Toronto
- Hezbollah leader vows to support Gazans
- Oil company worker from Malta is abducted in Libya
- Top German court rejects suit on Eichmann files
- Four Palestinians killed during West Bank protests
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!