Today: Mostly sunny and breezy. Highs in the low 80s with wind from the North 10-20 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows around 60.
Highs in the mid 80s the rest of the work week. A few showers ... More...
Reggie White to be Honored at Howard
Pro football legend Reggie White will be recognized by the Pro Football Hall of Fame and Allstate Insurance Company in Chattanooga on May 13 as part of “Hometown Hall of Famers™,” a national program honoring the hometown roots of the sport’s greatest coaches, players, and contributors with special ceremonies and plaque dedication events in local communities.
A legendary NFL defensive end and former standout athlete at Howard School of Academics & Technology, the legacy of Reggie White will be recognized with a “Hometown Hall of Famer™” plaque during a special ceremony at 10:00 a.m. ET on Monday, May 13, in the school’s auditorium, where the plaque will live permanently to serve as an inspiration for the school’s students and athletes. Sara White,
White passed away in December 2004 at the age of 43 and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006. Reggie White’s wife, will be on-hand to accept the plaque on behalf of the White family. The presentation will be made by Charles White, Reggie White’s father.
“To be part of a program that brings the prestige and tradition of the Pro Football Hall of Fame to communities like Chattanooga is an honor for Allstate, our agents and employees,” said Lisa Cochrane, Allstate’s senior vice president of marketing.
The ceremony will be attended by Howard School of Academics & Technology students, faculty, staff, alumni and White’s family members. Dr. Paul Smith, principal of Howard School of Academics & Technology, will serve as the Master of Ceremonies.
In addition to the plaque, a commemorative Reggie White “Hometown Hall of Famers™” road sign will be on display in Chattanooga.
A defensive end from the University of Tennessee, White was drafted in the first round by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 1985 NFL Supplemental Draft after playing two seasons in the United States Football League. That year, he was named the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year and tied for the team lead with 13 sacks.
After eight seasons in Philadelphia with a total 123 sacks, White, also known as “The Minister of Defense” after becoming an ordained minister at the age of 17, went to play for the Green Bay Packers. He helped the Packers steadily improve and led them to a victory in Super Bowl XXXI. White retired from the NFL in 1998, but made his return for one more year to play with the Carolina Panthers in 2000.
The three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year retired as the NFL’s all-time sack leader with 198. He was a 13-time Pro Bowl selection and voted first-team All-Pro 10 times in his 15-year career. White was named to the NFL’s All-Decade Teams of the 1980s and 1990s as well as the 75th Anniversary Team. His number 92 has been retired by the Tennessee Volunteers, Philadelphia Eagles and Greey Bay Packers.
Fans can visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame website for more information on the “Hometown Hall of Famers™” program, and can view event videos at www.youtube.com/allstate.
Reggie White to be Honored at Howard
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 4 Ga. kids hurt by rolling car, charges filed
- 4 children left in locked SUV, Ga. woman arrested
- Ga. woman sentenced in child abuse case
- GA police officer resigns after shooting man's dog
- Man dies in Ga. country club landscaping accident
- SC congressmen say SRS has money for fuel project
- Latvian fiber glass company announces Ga. project
- GA wildlife refuge managers move nuisance gators
- SC mom's arrest sparks child care debate
- UGA Pharmacy students plan tobacco cessation class
- Miller faces sales job on $17B VA health care bill
- Giant ketchup bottle draws tourists in Illinois
- With Israel at war, US lawmakers give full support
- $1,000 pill now hepatitis C treatment of choice
- Conn. man cleared in killing seeks compensation
- Hiker, 13, missing in California national park
- No verdict, no mistrial yet in Ventura libel case
- NYC uses food trucks to bring summer meals to kids
- Whale watching boat snagged by lobster trap rope
- Israel target symbols of Hamas control in Gaza
- UN presses for Mali peace talks starting Aug. 17
- Brazil's leader calls Gaza conflict 'a massacre'
- Dominican officials destroy 2,000 seized guns
- France offers asylum to Christians of north Iraq
- Malta oil worker kidnapped in Libya released
- Bolivian president seeks votes in the bedroom
- Iraq police find 17 bodies, some bound, in Baghdad
- Syrian army casualties surge, raising death toll
- UN rights chief: Flight 17 possible war crime
- Poland, Britain call for more sanctions on Russia
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!