Today: Cloudy and cooler with periods of rain. Diminishing rain chances this afternoon. High in the low to mid 60s but falling into the upper 40s lower 50s by late afternoon. Very windy with a NW wind in the afternoon, 20-30 mph.
Tonight: Any remaining ... More...
Randy Tucker, GPS Headmaster Retiring
GPS Board Chairman Nini Davenport announced GPS Headmaster Randy Tucker’s retirement effective June 30, 2013. GPS leaders said that an Interim Head of School will be in place by July 1, 2013, with a permanent leader in place as scheduled by July 1, 2014.
Given Mr. Tucker’s long and successful tenure, the Board of Trustees and Mr. Tucker have taken a specific focus on ensuring a seamless transition. Because it is often very difficult to fill the shoes of a successful, long-serving Head, the decision was made to put an Interim Head of School in place for the 2013-14 academic year. This will provide a buffer and will allow GPS to attract exceptional candidates for the permanent Head of School position.
“Our Board has been working on a plan that encourages us to think strategically, ask questions and act boldly. Because of this, we are well positioned for the future and look forward to all that it holds,” said Davenport. “We are grateful for the strong team Randy built during his tenure with us, and we will build on those strengths as we search for a new leader. Clearly, GPS is in a much better place today than it was when Randy first joined us. We will miss him and will always consider him a valuable part of the family.”
“GPS has made great strides over the past 26 years,” said Tucker. “I am thankful to have had the opportunity to lead such a wonderful educational institution and am excited about what the future holds for both of us.”
Randy Tucker, GPS Headmaster Retiring
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Century-old lamp posts at UGA undergo restoration
- Fire claims life of man, 58, northwest of Atlanta
- Wind gusts of 40-45 mph possible in Georgia
- Suspect in Ga convenience store slaying in custody
- Vietnam veterans to be honored at Georgia Capitol
- Job fair to be held in DeKalb for people over 50
- Atlanta to host construction career expo
- Suspect in GA convenience store slaying in custody
- Teen seeks juvenile trial in Ga. baby killing
- Ga. man fatally shot in target practice accident
- Lawyer: Dad doesn't deny tossing toddler in creek
- Existing Afghan deal would cover US post-2014
- Carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- Evacuations remain after big San Francisco fire
- NYC building explodes, 11 minor injuries reported
- Zimmerman says he's trying to be a good person
- US: China blocking Filipino boats 'provocative'
- Minnesota snowmobiler dies in Montana avalanche
- NYC fire dept. responds to report of explosion
- Police track driver who took SUV with child inside
- Visiting British PM offers support to Israel
- Canada ends military operations in Afghanistan
- Airlines lower forecast for record 2014 profit
- Iran hard-liners protest at Austrian Embassy
- Cricket bat, toilet door in court
- Rights group: 5 seized at Crimea checkpoint freed
- Afghan group says it killed Swedish reporter
- Nigeria military claim success in Islamic uprising
- Thousands gather for Turkish teen's funeral
- Inventor of Web calls for digital bill of rights
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Stories of HonorCelebrate black history all February long with Stories of Honor, sponsored by the Tennessee Lottery.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!