Tonight: Clouds returning and not as cold with an overnight low in the mid to upper 40s. An east to northeast wind at 10mph.
Friday: Mostly cloudy with a slight chance for showers south, especially late day. A cooler afternoon high in the low/mid ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- US Chamber endorses Kingston in Ga. Senate race
- More than $1M in fake soccer gear seized in Ga.
- Atlanta airport officials mulling terminal hotel
- Geico planning middle Ga. expansion
- Acting Cumberland Island chief to stay permanently
- Old meat processing site now island research lab
- Water main break floods Atlanta street
- Atlanta Braves change policy on guns in stadium
- Man killed, woman wounded in Union City shooting
- Georgia jobless rate drops to 7 percent
- Condition upgraded for victim of firetruck crash
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Oregon ruling spurs halt on immigration detainers
- Woman convicted in hammer beating speaks to jury
- 2 boaters found dead in Lake Erie ID'd; 2 missing
- 911 calls capture chaos after truck-on-bus crash
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- IRS audits less than 1 percent of big partnerships
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Korean Air A380 hits 2 light poles at LA airport
- Gulf Arab states strike new deal to heal rifts
- Dutch man's case may be linked to Amanda Todd
- Argentina considers crackdown on street protests
- Was captain among first to leave?
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
LIMA, Peru (AP) -- Peruvian authorities have ordered the preventative evacuation of 4,000 people living near the Ubinas volcano, which has been spouting ash clouds up to 2 miles (nearly 4 kilometers) high.
- Thugs with machetes attack Nigerian party congress
- Hail wreaks Easter travel havoc in Mexico City
- Croatia extradites ex-spy to Germany
- Ex-Senegalese president's son to face graft trial
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!