Tonight: Clear and chilly with an overnight low in the city near 40. 30s away from the city.
Thursday: Sunny and ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Rome leaders consider trail to link area colleges
- Georgia man gets 7 years in Texas weapons case
- Man charged with assault when online romance sours
- Woman, 61, killed in Kennesaw house fire
- Hallway brawls prompt new security at Ga. school
- Atlanta unveiling new customer service program
- Drone operation course to be offered at GA school
- Elections official to participate in Emory event
- Body of eastern Georgia teen found in wooded area
- Furniture retailer building west Georgia facility
- Beaten Giants fan says he wants to walk normally
- Ohio mother held dead baby while talking to police
- Bobcat that escaped from New Jersey home captured
- Attorney: North Korean detainee was treated well
- Doctors differ on preteen suspect's mental state
- New Ebola 'czar' to meet with Obama, top aides
- Survey: Harassment a common part of online life
- Ed loosens eligibility for parent loan program
- 3rd spacewalk in 3 weeks at space station
- Central Pennsylvania fire kills scores of snakes
- Albania PM seeks to ease tensions with Serbia
- Police: Soldier shot at war memorial in Ottawa
- Police arrest 2 people on terror charges
- 10 men acquitted in Kurdish terror finance trial
- Police: soldier shot at war memorial in Ottawa
- Police: Man shot at war memorial in Ottawa
- Bomb explodes outside university in Egypt capital
- Iraqi Kurds authorize sending fighters to Kobani
- Iranians protest acid attacks in central city
- 9 migrants injured in Spain border fence rush
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!