Tonight: A partly cloudy sky and comfortable with an overnight low near 60 (50s away from the city)
Friday: Partly to mostly sunny with an afternoon high in the low/mid 80s. A slight chance for an afternoon shower, especially east over the Blue Ridge Mtns ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Maduro says foreign media behind fears of epidemic
- Ex-DFCS counselor sentenced in rape, molestation
- GBI probing fatal police shooting in Savannah
- Ga. woman acquitted of voter irregularity charges
- Deal calls for more help to high-demand students
- Ex-Ala. officer resentenced for abuse of power
- Wig designer's suit against Nicki Minaj dismissed
- Candidates for Ga. governor spar over jobless rate
- Police dog missing since manhunt is found alive
- Man found shot to death in driveway of home
- Congress OKs bill to cut rape evidence backlog
- Senate blocks effort to stop Obama on immigration
- Driver freed in Stratosphere crash commits suicide
- UC system plan calls for anti-sex abuse effort
- California woman doubts brother's role in wildfire
- Detectives comforted suspect in missing boy case
- Lawyer asks for reasonable award in plane crash
- Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate
- Busch Gardens removes some Halloween props
- Final tally: 143 homes burned in California fire
- UN fears food shortages for Syrians
- Boyfriend jeans a hit on the Milan runway
- Yemen's Shiite rebels attack state TV building
- UN calls Ebola a threat to international peace
- UN chief calls for about $1 billion to fight Ebola
- Mexico boosts Los Cabos security after looting
- New center-left Slovenian govt voted into office
- Nigeria's ruling party wants Jonathan as president
- Sierra Leone to shut down for 3 days to slow Ebola
- Belgium arrests Liberian ex-rebel commander
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!