Tonight: Evening t-showers, otherwise cloudy and muggy with a low near 70.
Wednesday: ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- GOP voters in Ga. to decide Senate nominee
- Primary runoff for Ga. schools post, Congress
- 2 Ga. schools recognized for environmental work
- Tropical depression forms in central Atlantic
- Georgia university launching new MBA program
- US nuclear regulator looks to reposition staff
- No charges for sheriff's deputy in Taser accident
- SIAC championship game moving to Montgomery
- Georgia AG wants same-sex marriage suit dismissed
- AG Olens refuses Carter's call for ethics probe
- Hopkins pays $190M in pelvis exam pix settlement
- Ward scheduled for court on assault charge
- Lawmakers face long to-do list, uncertain success
- Cooler weather aids crews fighting Washington fire
- Evangelical group sets sights on secular Portland
- Theater shooting lawyers in court to discuss video
- VA nominee McDonald goes before Congress
- HIV pills show more promise to prevent infection
- Obama heads off to raise money on the West Coast
- American Jews, other 'lone soldiers' serve Israel
- Berlin bans anti-Semitic slogan at Gaza protests
- 66 reported hurt in Turkish tanker truck explosion
- EU meets as some countries seek tougher sanctions
- Egypt calls for Israeli, Palestinian peace talks
- Cambodian political rivals say agreement reached
- Turkey: police involved in graft probe detained
- Moscow subway chief fired after 22 killed in crash
- Widodo leads as Indonesia set to declare president
- Shakhtar midfielder says players' lives at risk
- Protesters at Russian embassy in KL seek justice
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Golf Card2014 Golf Card
FORE! Get your Golf Card now to enjoy 10 rounds of golf at great local courses for one low price! CHECK OUT THE DEAL.
Health and Beauty
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!