Tonight: Mostly cloudy with an overnight low in the low 30s.
Friday: Cloudy, the a mix of clouds and sun with an afternoon high in the upper 40s to near 50. A light north wind.
Friday Night: Cloudy with some rain possible late. ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. man arrested in insurance fraud scheme
- Ga. official picked for president's task force
- Ga. Guard troops home from Afghanistan in time for holidays
- Ga. audit highlights questionable state spending
- UGA paid more than $40,000 for Gurley's legal help
- Ga. entrepreneur convicted of hiding income abroad
- Logistics company building plant in west Ga.
- Savannah Philharmonic director takes position in California
- FDA official warns of dangers of caffeine powder
- Gwinnett County school board to vote on new attendance zones
- Arson caused $30 million downtown Los Angeles fire
- Police: Man hid gun parts in luggage at NY airport
- Day care owner pleads in boy's death in murky pool
- Police sketch of meteorologist shooting suspect released
- Phoenix police chief fired after union strife
- Family wants officer prosecuted for scuffle with man, 76
- Veteran AP trial reporter Linda Deutsch to retire
- NYPD: Brooklyn man arrested in assault on officers
- Dog injures Wyoming man in accidental shooting
- Woman sues over elevator shaft fall at Fenway Park
- SKorea court orders dissolution of leftist party
- Report: Australian lawmaker's adviser detained
- UN Experts: Taliban radicals against peace gain prominence
- World War II bomb defused in German city
- Suspected Islamic extremists kidnap 185 in Nigeria
- Video claims responsibility for Tunisia killings
- Pope Benedict got ball rolling with Cuba on Gross
- Canada woman stops for ducks; sentenced in 2 deaths
- Ireland repays $11 billion to IMF years early
- India's Sonia Gandhi hospitalized for infection
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!