Tonight: A fair sky and comfortable with an overnight low near 60 (50s away from the city)
Friday: Partly to mostly sunny with ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Candidates for Ga. governor spar over jobless rate
- Police dog missing since manhunt is found alive
- Man found shot to death in driveway of home
- Georgia's jobless rate rises to 8.1 percent
- 3 Fantasy 5 players win $73,862.46 jackpots
- Florida Lotto jackpot rises to $27 million
- Jury won't consider deaths in Ga. salmonella trial
- Zoo Atlanta offering Pre-K discount
- Investigator: 28 forged docs in registration probe
- GA medical center giving free take-home drug tests
- Teacher hurt in crash blames rancher in standoff
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- White House orders plan for antibiotic resistance
- Funeral for Utah man shot by police
- Jury resumes deliberations in Ga. salmonella trial
- Jury hears arguments in terror finance trial
- Judge doubts Oklahoma ready for Nov. 13 execution
- Stabbing injures student, Texas school evacuated
- Bear killed near eastern Oregon school
- NOAA: Yet more global heat records fall in August
- Belgium arrests Liberian ex-rebel commander
- France dismisses accusations it pays ransoms
- Roadside bombs kills 4 UN peacekeepers in Mali
- Greece: March to honor slain rapper turns violent
- Israeli museum unveils ancient Jewish prayer book
- British hostage appears in new video
- Scots decide whether to declare independence
- Islamic State fighters capture 21 Kurdish villages in northern Syria near Turkish border
- Turkey says it plans to stop flow of IS fighters
- NATO to fast-track rapid-reaction force
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!