Tonight: Partly to mostly cloudy. Low in the upper 30s.
Cooler ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Crews work to assess storm damage, restore power
- Woman dies after being shot at MARTA bus stop
- Georgia court upholds private probation law
- Woman shot at MARTA bus stop outside Atlanta
- New streetcar involved in 2 crashes before debut
- Crews work to clear storm damage, restore power
- Power restored to most customers after storms
- Ga. authorities cracking down on driver safety for holidays
- Ga. lane closures halted for holiday travel period
- Tornado warning issued in central Georgia
- Japanese man gets back boat lost in 2011 tsunami
- U.Va. frat leader sickened by rape allegation
- US Steel to build new headquarters in Pittsburgh
- Ohio police probe shooting of boy with replica gun
- Police: Facebook posts of stolen guns spur arrest
- Hagel: US on stronger course toward security
- Buffalo residents prepare for floods
- Examiner rules NYC police shooting a homicide
- Cleveland's website hacked after police shoot boy
- Boston man still in hospital after naked fall
- Lawyers of al-Jazeera reporter urge his release
- Francis meets Egyptian president on European trip
- In Iran, Muslim clerics vow to combat extremists
- Forces backing elected Libyan government take town
- Morocco rights groups boycotting Marrakech meeting
- Floods kill at least 32 in southern Morocco
- Romania appoints diplomat as foreign minister
- Google settles with ex-banker over online abuse
- Fire damages 750-year-old oak tree in Poland
- Iraqi officials: Baghdad bombing kills 9 people
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!