Today: Partly sunny and breezy. Highs in the middle 80s with wind from the Northwest 10-20 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows in the low to mid 60s.
Mostly clear skies for Tuesday through Wednesday with ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ports Authority reaches 3 million container mark
- Atlanta federal building reopens
- Man drowns at Lake Allatoona northwest of Atlanta
- Small plane crash on Fla. beach; 2 on ground hit
- 3 wounded by gunfire in Savannah shooting
- Pilot killed in NE Georgia plane crash identified
- 4 kids hurt when car rolls down driveway
- Trial in salmonella outbreak set to begin in Ga.
- Atlanta federal building to reopen Monday
- Six Flags hosting 'Fright Fest' recruitment event
- Porch shooter back in court as trial resumes
- NYC mayor moves into historic Gracie Mansion
- Report says surveillance hampering journalists
- 2 questioned in search for Philly carjackers
- Connecticut man accused of shooting pet turtle
- Georgia opens criminal case against ex-president
- Not in my backyard: US sending dirty coal abroad
- Hamas leader Meshaal demands end to occupation
- Government said to suppress evidence in Blackwater
- Father, stepmother of found boy due in court
- Female suicide bomber kills several in Nigeria
- Muslims mark end of Ramadan with Eid celebrations
- Teens: We were told to stay on sinking Korean ship
- Philippine leader: Not even a bomb can stop reform
- Iraqi officials: 14 bodies found in Baghdad
- Liberia president orders new anti-Ebola measures
- Italian tenor Bergonzi dies at age 90
- Japan to step up sanctions against Russia
- Syria's Assad prays as his troops suffer high toll
- UN rights chief: Flight 17 possible war crime
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!