Tonight: Cloudy with some rain possible, especially over the southern & eastern part of the viewing area. An overnight low in the upper 40s. A northeast wind at 10mph.
Saturday: Cloudy and breezy at times. Still some light rain possible south ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Atlanta student arrested in grandmother's death
- Deal set to sign bill expanding gun rights in Ga.
- Savannah woman sentenced in death of newborn
- Georgia daycare ordered closed after child in van
- Man wanted in Georgia killing arrested in Alabama
- Georgia man pleads not guilty in Iowa man's death
- Girl critically injured after being struck by car
- Man sentenced after threat to eat judge's kids
- Pedestrian struck, killed by minivan in east Ga.
- Authorities seek to identify skeletal remains
- Senate to debate rideshare regulations
- Bryant U. cracks down on selfies at graduation
- Colorado deaths stoke worries about pot edibles
- Autopsy: Border Patrol agent shot man twice
- Obama signs bill aimed at blocking Iran's UN envoy
- Woman finds body while hunting for Easter eggs
- Pipeline supporters denounce latest delay
- Year after blast, Texas town ponders new plant
- Court declines to block drug ruling in patent case
- White House makes economics focus of Asia trip
MEXICO CITY (AP) -- Roman Catholics throughout Latin America and the Caribbean are paying tribute to Jesus Christ in Holy Week traditions that go back centuries and range from religious processions to self-flagellation.
- Blast in busy Cairo square kills 1 police officer
- Blast in busy Cairo square kills 1 officer
- Officials: 24 more abducted Nigerian students free
- Pope leads torch-lit Good Friday procession
- N. Korea criticizes 'human rights racket' of US
- Belfast IRA figure killed in splinter-group feud
- 57-nation OSCE plays key Ukraine monitoring role
- UN says 58 killed in attack on UN base in SSudan
- Christians mark Good Friday in the Holy Land
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!