Notre Dame Among Top 50, Again
Notre Dame High School was named one of America's top 50 Catholic secondary schools by the Cardinal Newman Society’s National Catholic High School Honor Roll for the second time. The award is conferred on a two year award cycle, and Notre Dame was named to the top 50 for the first time in 2010 and now again in 2012. The purpose of the Honor Roll is to recognize and encourage excellence in Catholic secondary education. It is a critical resource for parents and educators that distinguish those schools that excel in three categories: academic excellence, Catholic identity, and civic education.
There are currently over 1200 Catholic High Schools in the nation serving over 590,000 students. The best schools demonstrate a balanced excellence, which includes an active Catholic culture, sound college preparation, and integration of Church teaching in all departments. These schools also display sound moral, catechetical, and civic formation that prepares students for vocations in the world as political, religious, scientific, and business leaders.
"Notre Dame High School continues to be recognized for their outstanding faith-based education,” said Most Reverend Richard Stika, Bishop of Knoxville Diocese. “I congratulate Notre Dame for once again being recognized as one of the top 50 Catholic High Schools in the United States for the second consecutive time. The good work being done at Notre Dame is a clear example of how the Church’s vital ministry of Catholic education is being implemented in the Chattanooga area.”
Perry Storey who has served as Principal of the school since 1996 stated that,“It is with great pride that we announce this accomplishment. I am blessed to have the opportunity lead a school community that has been such a great part of Chattanooga’s history for 136 years.Notre Dame continues her mission nurturing young adults and encouraging them to make good life decisions and care passionately about their futures as community leaders. “
One hundred percent of the Notre Dame Class of 2012 chose college as their post high school path. Those 104students were accepted to 99 different colleges and universities in 30 states and the District of Columbia, and they were awarded over $5.5 million in scholarships to pursue education at the college level.The 2012 graduates exceeded local, state, and national ACT composite and Benchmark College Readiness scores. In addition, Notre Dame Students performed over 10,000 hours of community service hours during theschool year and many alumni continue to give back in their everyday lives.
Mr. Storey alsostressed that “students at Notre Dame are engaged in a curriculum that provides them with the preparation needed for successful transitions.” With over 53 hours of Advance Placement and Dual Enrollment College Credit classes being offered, students can choose from classes that give them a head start by earning college credit while in high school.
For more information about Notre Dame and the National Catholic High School Honor Roll program visit www.myndhs.com
Notre Dame Among Top 50, Again
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 5 bystanders shot as dispute turns to gunfire in Savannah
- HERO worker critically injured in Atlanta freeway crash
- Boy, 3, found in lake after boat-watching trip with dad
- Marchers cross Alabama on Day 2 of 'Journey for Justice'
- Man shot to death in Hyatt Place hotel outside Atlanta
- Bobby Brown's sister vows family feud is just beginning
- William S. Morris IV named CEO of Morris Communications Co.
- Confederate flag support rally held at Stone Mountain Park
- The Latest: Memorial service for Bobbi Kristina Brown ends
- The Latest: Controversy erupts at service for Bobbi Kristina
- 10 Things to Know for Monday
- 2 women dead from suspected drug overdoses at music fest
- Police ID suspect in killing of officer; manhunt underway
- Police say person of interest in custody in officer killing
- Autopsy this week on firefighter killed in Calif. blaze
- 1 dead, several injured in tent collapse in suburban Chicago
- Obama to unveil final power plant emissions limits on Monday
- Police: Officer fatally shoots suspect who fired at him
- Chicago's Lollapalooza resumes after storm evacuation
- Limousine, 2 other vehicles crash near LA; 11 people injured
- Monsoon rains kill more than 100 people in India
- Kerry in Qatar to ease Arab concerns about Iran nuke deal
- Monsoon rains kill more than 90 people in India
- Journalist slain in Mexico City had signs of torture
- Iran's president says nuclear deal achieves goals
- Nuns' tipoff leads Spanish police to arrest 212 for fraud
- Gypsies' plight emphasized on Roma Holocaust Day
- Mali: 2 soldiers killed in convoy ambush
- Italy honors Australian aviator killed in '33 Tuscany crash
- Nigeria: Review of soldiers condemned in Boko Haram war
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!