New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
A new guidebook aims to help local governments and community groups develop programs to protect wetlands.
"Local Wetland Programs: A Guide for Georgia Communities" contains information on wetlands and existing laws, programs and policies. It's published by the University of Georgia River Basin Center.
The guide also includes 25 regulatory and non-regulatory programs communities can use, funding and technical resources, and strategies to avoid legal challenges.
There are a wide variety of programs covered in the guidebook, including education and awareness initiatives, inventories, acquisition, restoration projects, tax and other incentives, permit programs, buffers, zoning standards, development practices, and special programs for climate change adaptation and management.
The guidebook was developed in collaboration with the Georgia Environmental Protection Division, with funding from a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Wetland Program Development Grant.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Rape charge dismissed against Ga pastor
- Boone Newspapers affiliates acquire 2 Georgia newspapers
- Hearse with Bobbi Kristina Brown's body arrives at cemetery
- Former President Jimmy Carter undergoes liver operation
- Whistle-blower lawsuit settled in Navy kickbacks case
- Bobbi Kristina Brown to be buried next to mother
- Police make arrest in killing of man in Hyatt Place hotel
- Woman dies after being found unresponsive in Lake Lanier
- 'Preacher Pimp' painting prompts protests in Middle Georgia
- Driver killed when car plunges from bridge in east Georgia
- Report: 2 dead, 22 hurt in New Hampshire tent collapse
- Alligator attacks worker at Forever Florida attraction
- Man faces federal charges in 2012 Molotov cocktail attack
- 10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- GOP hopefuls take on illegal immigration, other issues at New Hampshire forum
- Worker dies after bee attack at California construction site
- Libyan accused in Benghazi attacks seeks dismissal of case
- VA to review status of Marines affected by tainted water
- Florida: Amber Alert canceled in boy's disappearance
- The Latest: Authorities looking at retaliation as a motive
- 9 swept away by flash flood in China; 8 bodies recovered
- US, Philippines to raise territorial row in Malaysia meet
- Kerry talks trade in Singapore before regional security meet
- Hunters in Africa say they have a role in conservation
- Whale appears alongside yachts in luxury Argentine area
- Ethiopia jails 18 Muslims over alleged terror
- Lukoil managers charged for money $1.95 bln laundering
- Venezuela prevents opposition leader from running
- Burundi rights activist shot and wounded in the capital
- 2 Israelis hurt in Jerusalem fire bomb attack
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!