New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
A new guidebook aims to help local governments and community groups develop programs to protect wetlands.
"Local Wetland Programs: A Guide for Georgia Communities" contains information on wetlands and existing laws, programs and policies. It's published by the University of Georgia River Basin Center.
The guide also includes 25 regulatory and non-regulatory programs communities can use, funding and technical resources, and strategies to avoid legal challenges.
There are a wide variety of programs covered in the guidebook, including education and awareness initiatives, inventories, acquisition, restoration projects, tax and other incentives, permit programs, buffers, zoning standards, development practices, and special programs for climate change adaptation and management.
The guidebook was developed in collaboration with the Georgia Environmental Protection Division, with funding from a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Wetland Program Development Grant.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Woman sentenced to 4-plus years in credit card scheme
- Larger planes now allowed to land at Gainesville's airport
- Johns Creek police make 15 arrests in prostitution sting
- Wintry weather possible in northwest Georgia by mid-week
- 2 men wounded by gunfire on Atlanta's southwest side
- Concerns over drug prompt delay of Georgia woman's execution
- Agency to introduce online trip planner for metro Atlanta
- Atlanta council wants full name of airport used
- Ebola survivor leaves US after recovery to return to Africa
- Numbers show US women rarely executed
- NC prosecutor seeks death for suspect in killing 3 Muslims
- Ferguson officials to meet with Justice Department
- General: 8,500 Islamic State fighters killed in Iraq so far
- Defense seeks delay in man's trial over U.Va student's death
- Brown: Lab performed inaccurate date rape drug test
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- Man arrested in Islamic State plot due in Florida court
- GOP: House to vote on Homeland bill without conditions
- Obama holding video talk with European leaders on Ukraine
- Former Vice President Al Gore reports for jury duty in Tenn.
- UN says Libyan talks to be held in Morocco this week
- Greek prosecutors seek ultra-rightist's release from jail
- Church: Canadian pastor missing in North Korea
- Croatian president: We will help Bosnia get into the EU
- Turkish president fined for 'insulting' Armenia peace statue
- Police: Italian business leader arrested for taking payoff
- Pope names history scholar as new San Diego bishop
- Hunger-striking Ukrainian pilot's health stable, Russia says
- Portugal's PM says he's 'not perfect' amid tax controversy
- MH17 next of kin allowed to view wreckage of downed flight
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!