Tuesday: Sunny with an afternoon high in the mid/upper 70s. A northeast wind at 10mph.
Tuesday Night: Clear and cool with an overnight ... More...
New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
A new guidebook aims to help local governments and community groups develop programs to protect wetlands.
"Local Wetland Programs: A Guide for Georgia Communities" contains information on wetlands and existing laws, programs and policies. It's published by the University of Georgia River Basin Center.
The guide also includes 25 regulatory and non-regulatory programs communities can use, funding and technical resources, and strategies to avoid legal challenges.
There are a wide variety of programs covered in the guidebook, including education and awareness initiatives, inventories, acquisition, restoration projects, tax and other incentives, permit programs, buffers, zoning standards, development practices, and special programs for climate change adaptation and management.
The guidebook was developed in collaboration with the Georgia Environmental Protection Division, with funding from a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Wetland Program Development Grant.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Suspect in Atlanta-area shooting arrested in Miami
- Teen stabbed to death in downtown Atlanta park
- Senator: Drop nomination of controversial judge
- Body of man who fell from lake dock found
- Lawyer: Mom in hot car death case passed polygraph
- Man gets 5 years for restroom recordings in Cobb
- Districts in Orlando, Atlanta split school prize
- Police investigating Ga. shooting arrest Wisc. man
- Here is the latest Georgia news from The Associated Press
- Developer seeks rezoning for Norcross move studio
- Abbas: Will demand UN resolution to end occupation
- FAA: Airplane makes emergency landing in Omaha
- Louisiana judge: Gay marriage ban unconstitutional
- 10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Turkey indicates Islamic State prisoners swap
- Turkish indicates Islamic state prisoners swap
- Biden to Hispanics: Obama will act on immigration
- Trial opens for sheriff accused of 'road rage'
- Porsche driver dies in high-speed Nevada race
- Portland man hides in church to avoid deportation
- Guatemala emergency measures after deadly clash
- Islamist group kidnaps Frenchman in Algeria
- Lights still out in Los Cabos; death toll now 5
- UN members endorse Indigenous Peoples rights
- Syrian opposition chief urges airstrikes in Syria
- Kidnappers say they'll kill Frenchman unless France ends airstrikes
- Israel court condemns African migrant detentions
- Argentina tries doctors for Dirty War baby thefts
- High-profile Israeli spy Mike Harari dead at 87
- Dozens flock to new Liberia Ebola treatment center
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!