Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
Sixth-graders at Eastbrook Middle School say they learned recently that Whitfield County has a problem with dogs.
The problems have solutions. Students feel they need to get the message out about shelter laws, spay and neuter programs, and how to care for pets’ health needs.
A team of sixth-grade students participated in a unit designed by their teachers as part of a local professional learning workshop. They designed the unit to integrate learning in all subjects while meeting the specific needs and interests of the students, as well as teaching the need to follow local ordinances regarding pets.
Students used reading, speaking and writing skills to debate and form educated opinions on the legal requirements of dog ownership and develop a pet care pamphlet that was distributed to the public.
Math skills helped students draft a blueprint for a scale model dog house. Students spoke with guests from the Whitfield Animal Control office and finished off the unit with a visit to the Wade Animal Adoption Center and the Animal Shelter. The final product of their work was to build a dog house from the scale models with materials generously donated by Ronnie Johns of Johns Lumber and Building Supply.
They presented the doghouse to fellow animal lovers at the Wade Adoption Center during a recent visit. The students hope the feelings of compassion, pride, and responsibility they developed will be shared by the community in which they live.
Pictured above from top left are: Leah Patterson, Valerie Cruz, Courtney Hall, Yaquelin Martinez, Ariel Mendez, Alexandra Chavez, Yuriko Duran, Maribel Fraire, Evelyn Fraire, and Maggie Pascual.Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Lockheed to pay $2M to settle allegations it overbilled govt
- Georgia House defeats bill preventing plastic bag bans
- Bill allowing third-party lending for solar panels to Deal
- Deal signs order requiring readiness for marijuana law
- Police: Hammer-wielding intruder shot dead inside Macon home
- Baseball kills Valdosta high school athlete hit during game
- Navy sub sailor waives hearing on charges he recorded women
- 2 charged with killing deer that mingled with farmer's cows
- Tybee Island weighs smoking ban for largest Ga. public beach
- UGA to offer music education online degree program
- Man who killed California officer dies in police shootout
- University of Oklahoma unveils racist chant probe findings
- Actress Drea de Matteo loses apartment in NYC blast
- Couple accused of locking teen in basement
- Medical examiner: 22-day-old baby girl starved to death
- Authorities: Woman who posed as lawyer almost became partner
- Pretty penny: Early 1-cent coin sells for more than $1M
- Mom to murderer: You're 'going straight to hell'
- Feds: Baltimore jail illegally keeping juveniles in solitary
- Retiring Reid wins praise from surprise caller -- Obama
- Report: Cluster bomb wounds 6 boys in southern Lebanon
- UN draft resolution would not lift Libya arms embargo
- Northern Chile works to recover after floods kill 9
- Judges deciding whether to uphold Amanda Knox murder conviction
- Iran says nuke talks focused despite Yemen crisis
- Poland seeks facts about leaders abducted by Soviet Union
- Kremlin dismisses Chechen threat to incite separatism in US
- French court OKs media access to Sarkozy's campaign files
- Official: 1,500 North Caucasus people fight in Iraq, Syria
- Ukraine rebels hand over bodies of 22 govt soldiers
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!