Tonight: Cloudy with some brief light rain possible. Mixing with some flurries & light snow at higher elevations. An overnight low in the mid 30s. Any resulting accumulation in the mountains should be light.
Thanksgiving Day: Cloudy, ... More...
Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
Sixth-graders at Eastbrook Middle School say they learned recently that Whitfield County has a problem with dogs.
The problems have solutions. Students feel they need to get the message out about shelter laws, spay and neuter programs, and how to care for pets’ health needs.
A team of sixth-grade students participated in a unit designed by their teachers as part of a local professional learning workshop. They designed the unit to integrate learning in all subjects while meeting the specific needs and interests of the students, as well as teaching the need to follow local ordinances regarding pets.
Students used reading, speaking and writing skills to debate and form educated opinions on the legal requirements of dog ownership and develop a pet care pamphlet that was distributed to the public.
Math skills helped students draft a blueprint for a scale model dog house. Students spoke with guests from the Whitfield Animal Control office and finished off the unit with a visit to the Wade Animal Adoption Center and the Animal Shelter. The final product of their work was to build a dog house from the scale models with materials generously donated by Ronnie Johns of Johns Lumber and Building Supply.
They presented the doghouse to fellow animal lovers at the Wade Adoption Center during a recent visit. The students hope the feelings of compassion, pride, and responsibility they developed will be shared by the community in which they live.
Pictured above from top left are: Leah Patterson, Valerie Cruz, Courtney Hall, Yaquelin Martinez, Ariel Mendez, Alexandra Chavez, Yuriko Duran, Maribel Fraire, Evelyn Fraire, and Maggie Pascual.Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- US adult smoking rate dips just under 18 percent
- Dispute between Ga youth coaches ends in stabbing
- Budget could force Coast Guard changes at Eufaula
- Crews repair damage after Atlanta protests
- GA roads, airport to see 1.3 million travelers
- Man sent to prison for killing woman, wounding man
- Savannah police task force makes dozens of arrests
- Child protective services teams to work overtime
- 21 arrested during Ferguson protests in Atlanta
- Protesters in Atlanta oppose Ferguson decision
- Police identify man found after Ferguson car fire
- Affidavit: Minn. man kept Syria travel plot secret
- 4 people shot at Pennsylvania mall barbershop
- Researchers discover 'pre-cancers' in blood
- Boy's family: Cleveland officers reacted quickly
- Christie tells what goes into his mashed potatoes
- Grand jury documents rife with inconsistencies
- Judge frees alleged Islamic State recruit
- 2 FBI agents, police officer shot; suspect dead
- Ebola vaccine seems safe in first-stage testing
- Group reports uptick in Haiti cholera patients
- Venezuela charges Maduro foe in alleged plot
- Congo detains 6 UN peacekeepers
- American among hostages targeted in Yemen raid
- Gangster 'Mad' Frankie Fraser dies at 90
- Bulgaria imam charged with terrorism incitement
- Spy balloons give police new view of Jerusalem
- Israeli leader seeks to revoke rights of inciters
- AP's Euler wins French presidential photo prize
- Boko Haram kills 20 villagers in near Chibok
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!