Today: Increasing clouds with some scattered light rain late this afternoon. High in the low to mid 80s. East wind around 5 mph.
Tonight: Mostly cloudy with some light rain at times. The low in the mid 60s.
Friday: ... More...
Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
Sixth-graders at Eastbrook Middle School say they learned recently that Whitfield County has a problem with dogs.
The problems have solutions. Students feel they need to get the message out about shelter laws, spay and neuter programs, and how to care for pets’ health needs.
A team of sixth-grade students participated in a unit designed by their teachers as part of a local professional learning workshop. They designed the unit to integrate learning in all subjects while meeting the specific needs and interests of the students, as well as teaching the need to follow local ordinances regarding pets.
Students used reading, speaking and writing skills to debate and form educated opinions on the legal requirements of dog ownership and develop a pet care pamphlet that was distributed to the public.
Math skills helped students draft a blueprint for a scale model dog house. Students spoke with guests from the Whitfield Animal Control office and finished off the unit with a visit to the Wade Animal Adoption Center and the Animal Shelter. The final product of their work was to build a dog house from the scale models with materials generously donated by Ronnie Johns of Johns Lumber and Building Supply.
They presented the doghouse to fellow animal lovers at the Wade Adoption Center during a recent visit. The students hope the feelings of compassion, pride, and responsibility they developed will be shared by the community in which they live.
Pictured above from top left are: Leah Patterson, Valerie Cruz, Courtney Hall, Yaquelin Martinez, Ariel Mendez, Alexandra Chavez, Yuriko Duran, Maribel Fraire, Evelyn Fraire, and Maggie Pascual.Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. included in human trafficking training program
- GDOT suspending construction during GA tax holiday
- Nearly 1,400 eligible for UGA summer commencement
- New editor chosen to lead Valdosta Daily Times
- GA woman dies after car sinks in retention pond
- Emory-Adventist Hospital to close in October
- Bibb Co. deputy facing child molestation charges
- NTSB releases report in fatal east Ga. plane crash
- Braves announce mixed-used site development team
- Jurors told salmonella trial may exceed 2 months
- Philanthropist calls for saving Corcoran in court
- Ceremony to mark return of saint to Hawaii
- AP Exclusive: Study finds panthers kill livestock
- GOP: Lerner emails show bias against conservatives
- Plane crashes in San Diego parking lot; 1 dead
- Congress races to finish veterans, highway bills
- Archbishop says he didn't mismanage abuse scandal
- FBI brings key witness in Oklahoma bombing trial
- Jury deliberations to begin in kidnapped-baby case
- Man on FBI's Most Wanted list in custody
- Expat Turks begin voting in presidential elections
- Panasonic, Tesla to build big US battery plant
- Ukraine parliament to vote on PM
- UN official: Vietnam violates religious freedom
- China allows foreign reporters at news conference
- Asian markets drift after US Fed stays course
- Eds: Links new photo. With AP Photos
- Eds: With AP Photos
- Australians leaders differ on Russian role in war
- 32 nations back Judaism's Yom Kippur as UN holiday
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!