Tonight: A fair sky and chilly with an overnight low around 30.
Friday: Partly sunny and a little milder with a high in the low/mid 50s.
Increasing ... More...
HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ala. teacher linked to Ga. cheating scandal placed on leave
- Execution date set for man in killing of GA deputy
- Atlanta readies for protests over Ferguson case
- 5 guilty in kickback scheme at Kennesaw State
- Wife says she thought husband would only be beaten
- Atlanta Streetcar delayed over safety concerns
- Workers await word on job status after Rome fire
- Georgia's jobless rate declines to 7.7 percent
- Former health care executive sentenced in fraud scheme
- Grant awarded for Ga. motorcycle safety campaigns
- Virginia school admin on leave after racial tweet
- Tribes work to create sex offender registers
- Republicans warn that Obama will regret immigration moves
- US sends Guantanamo prisoners to Georgia, Slovakia
- Cuomo: `Impractical' for Bills to play Jets Sunday
- Does Obama have authority for immigration changes?
- Drug lab explosion kills 1, hurts 2; house gutted
- Obama has lunch with Native American youth
- Man found not guilty of abusing son locked in box
- FDA approves new, hard-to-abuse hydrocodone pill
- Mexico City braces for large demonstrations
- Argentina bill would oust foreign lawbreakers
- Swiss museum to decide future of Gurlitt art trove
- German court: e-cigarette liquids not medicines
- Slain beauty queen, sister buried in Honduras
- Iran's top leader pardons controversial blogger
- Poland opens probe into electoral hacking
- Kerry to join Iran nuclear talks in Vienna
- Surge of Russian aircraft seen over Baltic Sea
- Bomb derails train in SW Pakistan, wounding 8
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!