Today: Sunny with below average temperatures for mid April. An afternoon high from the around 63 degrees. ESE wind at 10-15 mph.
Tonight: A clear sky and still chilly. But, most areas locally should be above freezing. An overnight ... More...
HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Public memorial for Herb Emory set for Saturday
- Labor officials form Georgia safety partnership
- US energy secretary to tour Georgia Tech
- Live fire exercise scheduled at Fort Knox
- US transportation secretary to visit Atlanta
- Delta evacuates jet in Atlanta due to cabin smoke
- Smoke reported in plane's cabin at Atlanta airport
- Burned body of missing DeKalb County man recovered
- Ex-GA radiology tech filed false mammogram results
- Ga. judge won't stop new Vidalia onion rule
- Marathon suspect seeks dismissal of some charges
- At Boston Marathon, a chance to finally finish
- Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- Obama seeks inmates worthy of commutation power
- A year after background check defeat, modest goals
- Dress codes: Where should schools set limits?
- End of NYPD Muslim surveillance program applauded
- 2 ships reportedly collide in
- 2 ships collide in Va. shipping channel
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- UK lawmakers slam lax security in Taliban attack
- South Korea says nearly 300 missing in ferry disaster
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes kill 4 in rebel town
- Israeli police enter holy site to disperse riot
- Russian FM: Russia still to meet with Ukraine
- Official: Iran will not discuss missile program
- Royal couple arrive in Sydney for Down Under tour
- Uruguay's leader declares $322,883 in wealth
- Australian state leader quits over $2,800 wine
- State TV: 48 die in bus and truck accident in Togo
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!