HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Rape charge dismissed against Ga pastor
- Boone Newspapers affiliates acquire 2 Georgia newspapers
- Hearse with Bobbi Kristina Brown's body arrives at cemetery
- Former President Jimmy Carter undergoes liver operation
- Whistle-blower lawsuit settled in Navy kickbacks case
- Bobbi Kristina Brown to be buried next to mother
- Police make arrest in killing of man in Hyatt Place hotel
- Woman dies after being found unresponsive in Lake Lanier
- 'Preacher Pimp' painting prompts protests in Middle Georgia
- Driver killed when car plunges from bridge in east Georgia
- Coroner: Ohio motorist shot by cop had bottle of fragrance
- Man pleads guilty to killing 10-year-old son found in river
- Woman accused of hiring hit man to kill ex gets probation
- Feds charge 3 men accused of prepping for martial law
- Former Pennsylvania Sen. Richard Schweiker dies at 89
- Officer's killing occurred near area with history of crime
- Pennsylvania resident guilty in Chinese test-taking plot
- The Latest: Victim wants death for Holmes but also closure
- US-China nuclear agreement passes congressional review
- Police: Tourist from Texas took loaded guns to 9/11 memorial
- Whale appears alongside yachts in luxury Argentine area
- Ethiopia jails 18 Muslims over alleged terror
- Lukoil managers charged for money $1.95 bln laundering
- Venezuela prevents opposition leader from running
- Burundi rights activist shot and wounded in the capital
- 2 Israelis hurt in Jerusalem fire bomb attack
- Hunters in Africa say they have a role in conservation
- Creators of destroyed hitchhiking robot mull rebuild
- UK state to start selling shares in nationalized bank RBS
- Cranes fall on houses in Netherlands, injuries reported
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!