HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Wiz Khalifa, De La Soul, 2 Chainz headline A3C festival
- Clinton racks up elected Dems in Georgia
- Burke County football player dies 2 weeks after collapsing
- Macon 'Dirty Bird' rapper facing drug trafficking charges
- Second teenager in 2 days shot to death in Union City
- 2 men charged in 1999 Nashville theater shooting
- Effort to bring minor league baseball to Macon moves forward
- Atlanta man sentenced in homeless check cashing scheme
- Police probing deaths of 2 Savannah children
- Trial begins in death of man found in Georgia jail cell
- Kentucky man to be sentenced in wife's alleged mercy killing
- Fire forces evacuation of Delaware's Legislative Hall
- Federal effort to combat chronic absenteeism at schools
- Body camera video shows shot officer asking man to drop gun
- Jury being picked in teen's trial over math teacher's death
- House forming special panel to probe Planned Parenthood
- Police: Teacher ran over husband while daughters were in car
- Senate OKs massive defense bill under veto threat
- Obama apologizes to Doctors Without Borders, offers condolences over US attack in Afghanistan
- House conservatives oppose McCarthy, search for alternative
- AP INVESTIGATION: Nuclear black market seeks IS extremists
- Attack on UN convoy in C. African Republic kills peacekeeper
- Inmates end uprising at prison in southern Brazil; 12 hurt
- UN says Shiite rebels in Yemen have agreed to stop fighting
- Alleged mastermind of Nigeria bomb attempts suicide in court
- Guyana rushes water to indigenous area hit by dry spell
- Algeria kills 'dangerous terrorist' near Tunisian border
- Italy considering more active anti-Islamic State in Iraq
- Argentine government: ex-spy chief went to US in February
- Aid group seeks fact-finding mission over Kunduz strike
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!