Thursday: Mostly cloudy with a period or two of showers and storms. Ending as the afternoon goes on. High in the mid/upper 80s. A west, then northwest wind ... More...
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Family of Georgia man shot in park gets $1.5M
- Covington police say officer shot man with sword
- Sandy Springs police find car taken in carjacking
- Body found in 18-wheeler on I-20 in Warren County
- Atlanta Cyclorama painting to move across town
- Head of troubled CDC anthrax lab has resigned
- Tropical depression weakens to tropical wave
- Fund set up for injured firefighters
- Crews clearing out Savannah homeless camps
- Daycare won't appeal revocation of license
- Some lethal injection problems in US executions
- Midazolam is common thread in 3 lengthy executions
- Eds: With AP Photos.
- Conviction upheld for chef in boiled-body case
- GOP senators demand say on Iran nuclear deal
- Cruise passengers recount horror stories to Senate
- Funeral held for man who died in NY police custody
- 10 Things to See in Sports: AP's top sports photos
- Man with medieval-type sword shot by police
- Navajo Nation head to meet with mayor on violence
- UN aid chief says Gaza ceasefire is vital
- Australia vows help to secure Ukraine crash site
- Venezuelan network Telesur expands into English
- Patriotic parade at big Peru psychiatric hospital
- Iraq: al-Maliki rejects Iran's urging to step down
- Puerto Rico to pay for chikungunya virus testing
- Jamaica police arrest 41 suspected scammers
- Jailed Venezuelan opposition leader goes on trial
- Quebec police try to prevent auction of locomotive
- UN chief 'alarmed' at rockets put at UN Gaza site
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!