Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the low to mid 90s. Light South wind.
Tonight: A fair to partly cloudy sky with an overnight low in the upper 60s.
Humidity levels continue to climb for Friday and into the Labor Day weekend. ... More...
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Woman gives birth inside Walmart near Atlanta
- Sheriff's captain accused of crimes involving teen
- Ga. lane closures to be lifted for holiday weekend
- Atlanta Audubon Society plans tour
- Police: Man shot by officer after stabbing another
- Ga. study committee examines medical marijuana
- Ala. man sentenced in illegal pesticide case
- Authorities say officer fired after being cut
- Education secretary plans visit to Georgia
- Pastor defies town's rules, puts up large sign
- Santa Fe City Council votes to decriminalize pot
- Revised estimate of Q2 growth likely to stay solid
- Omaha police bullet kills `Cops' film crew member
- University bets $10 million on poor city's kids
- Woman IDs dead, learns about Native beliefs
- Tripping seniors on purpose to stop future falls
- Survey: Americans' pessimism on economy has grown
- Deal reached to sell supermarket chain to ex-CEO
- Pediatric nurse charged with molesting 2-month-old
- Boston suspect's sister charged in NY bomb threat
- Strategic Ukraine town under rebel control
- Egypt raises new charge against ex-president Morsi
- China vows to respond to US surveillance flights
- Indonesia, Australia sign new security agreement
- Filipino bishops to counter Islamic State group
- France rules out Assad as partner in terror fight
- Poll: Israelis skeptical of PM Gaza victory claim
- Turkey's Erdogan to be sworn in as president
- Australia, Malaysia reach search cost-sharing deal
- 6 dead, 21 missing in landslide in southwest China
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!