Today: Partly cloudy and warm. Highs in the low to middle 80s. North wind 5-10 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with a low in the lower 60s.
Highs in the mid 80s the rest of the work week. Rain chances increase ... More...
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Braves announce mixed-used site development team
- Jurors told salmonella trial may exceed 2 months
- Woman found badly beaten on Silver Comet Trail
- Minnesota robbery suspect arrested in Georgia
- Car plunges into pond; divers search for person
- Mayor: Atlanta should welcome immigrant children
- Theater apologizes after kids see 'Sex Tape' clips
- More than $20,000 in NASCAR collectibles stolen
- Driver of stolen car rams police cruiser head-on
- Atlanta, Macon break record low temperatures
- Whistleblowers credited in VA discipline decisions
- Senators seek to curb campus sexual assault
- Smugglers cut through US-Mexico border fence
- 'Shrimp Boy' pleads not guilty to racketeering
- Mom arrested for letting son, 7, go to park alone
- Drone carrying contraband crashes at SC prison
- Air Force: Stowaway triggers security review
- NY judge rejects stop-frisk police union claims
- Vacations, trips detailed at ex-governor's trial
- Man finds calico lobster, gives it to aquarium
- Vatican taking action in divisive Paraguay diocese
- Crop circle in Germany attracts many visitors
- Iraq offers aid to those displaced by militants
- Tunisia army chief resigns after soldier deaths
- 'Spider-Man' fights Dubliner in street, goes viral
- UN chiefs outraged at attack on Gaza school
- More deaths anticipated from massive landslide in India
- 13 killed in mosque bombings in Nigeria
- UN chief: halt violence around Ukraine crash site
- UN condemns extremist takeover of parts of Iraq
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!