Sunday Night: Cloudy and muggy with scattered showers and t-storms. A few storms could be severe during the night and through early Monday. Main threats are large hail and damaging straight-line winds. An overnight low in the low 70s.
Monday: A mix of sun and clouds ... More...
Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Kingston's Senate loses means less clout for Ga.
- Unpaid GA court fines to be drawn from tax returns
- 2 injured in western Georgia small plane crash
- Teen identified in Chattahoochee River drowning
- Airport opens application site for screenings
- Savannah police searching for suspect in robbery
- Ga. police start enforcing 'slowpoke' driving law
- 1 killed in Rabun County plane crash
- Cobb judge Oks $397M in bonds for Braves stadium
- Ex-secretary for Douglas prosecutor indicted
- Police interviewing 2 in connection with Philadelphia carjacking
- Kevin Bacon brings his 'Six Degrees' to Comic-Con
- Police interview 2 in deadly Philly carjacking
- 1 dead after lightning strikes 14 in Southern California
- 10 Things to Know for Monday
- California lightning hits 14; 2 critically injured
- Family of 5 shot dead in Maine, gun recovered
- Northern California wildfire destroys 10 homes
- APNewsBreak: Tentative deal reached on VA reform
- Aid Group: 2nd American has Ebola in Liberia
- Girls killed, hurt in attack in Thailand's south
- Police in China remove church's cross
- Ebola kills Liberian doctor, 2 Americans infected
- Venezuela says Aruba to free diplomat sought by US
- Israel acknowledges mortar shell hit UN school
- Islamic militants destroy historic mosque in Mosul
- Key World War I battle re-enacted in Poland
- EU, US seek Putin Achilles' heel on Ukraine
- Suspected al-Qaida attack kills 2 troops in Yemen
- Air Algerie jet's black boxes to be sent to France
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!