Tonight: Clear and cool with an overnight low in the mid 50s.
Wednesday: Sunny with an afternoon high in the upper 70s to lower 80s.
Beautiful ... More...
Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man found stabbed to death in south Fulton County
- Symphony postpones concerts amid labor dispute
- Coast Guard and Navy to conduct exercise off Ga.
- UGA to unveil portrait of former president Adams
- Suspect in Atlanta-area shooting arrested in Miami
- Teen stabbed to death in downtown Atlanta park
- Senator: Drop nomination of controversial judge
- Body of man who fell from lake dock found
- Lawyer: Mom in hot car death case passed polygraph
- Man gets 5 years for restroom recordings in Cobb
- Bill Clinton, Blair say West has tough challenge
- Diplomats owe NYC $16M in unpaid parking tickets
- Dragon arrives at space station with 3-D printer
- DC Council set to vote on concealed handguns
- Obama offers climate change help to other nations
- Pentagon: US, partners begin airstrikes in Syria
- Obama confronts multiple crises at UN meetings
- Los Angeles Register ends publication immediately
- Stubborn fire forces evacuations at LA port
- Accused White House intruder armed in July arrest
- Islamic militants parade captured Iraqi soldiers
- France won't stop fight in Iraq despite kidnapping
- Ukraine rebels say they withdraw heavy artillery
- Afghanistan's Karzai takes one last swipe at US
- Man stabs 5 people in northeastern Spanish city
- Rights group: Nepal conflict-era rapes unpunished
- Poland plans to buy missiles for its F-16s from US
- 28 dead in landslides, floods in northeast India
- WHO: 21,000 Ebola cases by November if no changes
- Lawyer: Uighur scholar in China gets life sentence
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!