Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. man sentenced in embezzlement from Grady Hospital
- Police: Detective fatally shot in 'ambush' outside Atlanta
- GA man sentenced in DUI crash that killed wife after wedding
- Deputy shoots, wounds man in central Georgia
- Man faces murder charge in killing of taxi driver's son
- Sleet, freezing rain possible in north Georgia
- Fulton County police officer shot and killed in line of duty
- Georgia attorney general to launch food drive competition
- Man killed in confrontation with police detectives
- Lawyers: Georgia waffles on execution with cloudy drug
- Second Los Angeles hospital reports 'superbug' infections
- 10 Things to Know for Thursday
- Fire at Oregon mobile home kills 3
- Firefighters rescue dog trapped in gap between walls
- Teacher jailed for showing high school class violent movie
- TV crew confronted on LA's Skid Row; 1 arrested
- Jury deliberations end for day in Jodi Arias case
- California man charged with trying to join Islamic State
- Ohio mom, boyfriend guilty; child emailed teacher for help
- Jury deliberations at Jodi Arias trial to resume Thursday
- Maduro rejects speculation he..ll suspend Venezuela elections
- Dominican Republic temporarily closes consulates in Haiti
- Effort set to recover body found on Mexico's highest peak
- Chemical fire at Vancouver's port prompts evacuation
- Australia offers Indonesia prisoner swap to stop executions
- UK fraud office probes central bank auctions
- Former chief of Bolivia drug police under investigation
- Netanyahu gets bump in the polls after US speech
- At least 24 dead in mine blast
- Regional governor in Russia arrested on corruption charges
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!