Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia governor proposes $50M more on pre-kindergarten
- Atlanta police investigating fatal stabbing
- Rally in Henry County after racist graffiti painted on homes
- Police: Man tried abducting girl near Cobb County bus stop
- Scientists study how rising seas will reshape Georgia coast
- Man sentenced for shooting stepfather in eye with flare gun
- Georgia-Pacific to close Wisconsin plant
- Former police officer charged with theft in federal court
- Authorities capture man in 1991 death of former girlfriend
- Health, election work elevated Jimmy Carter post-presidency
- Man charged in 4 slayings at Ohio home set for arraignment
- 2 arrested for enjoying meal on boat while family slept
- Jewish site shootings trial to resume with closing arguments
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- Mourners to pay tribute to slain television cameraman
- Court to rule if California death penalty is cruel, unusual
- Rare photos of 19th-century blacks speak to modern Americans
- Hurricane churns in ocean, but watch ended for Hawaii
- Cops: Maine driver cited after selfie leads to injuries
- Kerry, Obama to raise global warming issues in Alaska
- Germany open to new 4-way Ukraine summit
- Unstable antenna atop Trump tower closes streets in Toronto
- AP Interview: Migration group ready to help with influx
- Central EU nations reject criticism of actions on migrants
- Migrants bike into Norway at remote Arctic border crossing
- US murder suspect extradited to Czech Republic
- The Latest: Thai sought in Bangkok bomb believed in Turkey
- EU gives France 5 million euros for new Calais migrant camp
- South Sudan rebel leader: Cease-fire, peace pact in danger
- Wildfire destroys 5,000 acres in northwest Spain
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!