Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Kennesaw State celebrates 100,000th graduate
- Northwest Georgia college banning tobacco on campus
- Thomson teenager drowns in McDuffie County chalk mine pond
- Grand jury to review Clayton County sheriff shooting case
- The Latest: Pilot calls search for adrift boys heartbreaking
- Judge refuses dismissal motion in 2007 killing
- Democrats consider distance from Jefferson, Jackson
- Only small increase in US girls getting cervical cancer shot
- 7 more sentenced in National Guard recruiting scam in Texas
- Feds release updated strategy against AIDS in America
- Attack in West Bank kills Palestinian child, homes torched
- More than just Cecil; big troubles for king of the jungle
- Despite bombing, Islamic State is no weaker than a year ago
- Congress heading on vacation, putting off messy decisions
- Dig returns to artifact-rich Colonial American site in NY
- Federal judge takes nuanced approach in US terrorism cases
- Governor allows parole for California school bus hijacker
- Albuquerque Fire Department dispatcher's license suspended
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- Governor weighs parole for California school bus hijacker
- Designer Alexander Wang leaves Balenciaga after 3 years
- Wikileaks says US spied on Japanese government, companies
- Suicide bomber strikes at Maiduguri market in Nigeria
- Student protesters sit-in at Taiwan Education Ministry
- Turkey: 2 policemen, 2 PKK militants killed in clash
- Afghan Taliban release statement praising new leader
- Israeli military: child killed in West Bank attack
- Aquino chooses Roxas as Philippine presidential candidate
- Chinese vice premier, Kazakh prime minister head delegations
- Former top Chinese general suspected of corruption
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!