Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police investigate double shooting in DeKalb County; 1 dead
- After week of searching, no sign of boys lost at sea
- Georgia offers tax-free shopping for school supplies
- Georgia inmate says he was raped, sues prison officials
- Georgia man injured in Knoxville ropes course accident dies
- Kennesaw State celebrates 100,000th graduate
- Northwest Georgia college banning tobacco on campus
- Thomson teenager drowns in McDuffie County chalk mine pond
- Grand jury to review Clayton County sheriff shooting case
- The Latest: Pilot calls search for adrift boys heartbreaking
- Judge summons pregnant inmate on abortion desire
- Girl's body in crib leads police to review sister's death
- Man charged with shooting at Zimmerman faces jail again
- Escaped inmate suspected in killing near Pennsylvania jail
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- Attack in West Bank kills Palestinian child, homes torched
- Police: Woman drowns while trying to rescue 2 girls
- Suspect in Charleston church shooting due in federal court
- More than just Cecil; big troubles for king of the jungle
- Despite bombing, Islamic State is no weaker than a year ago
- Uganda leader, in power for 3 decades, seeks re-election
- Court orders Jerusalem gay pride attacker remain in custody
- Doctors strike in Ghana, demand better conditions
- Court: German spy agency need not give info on NSA list
- Hungarian minister: over 100,000 immigrants so far in 2015
- Iran: US statements on attacking Tehran violates nuke deal
- Official: 4 Indians have been held near Libya's Sirte town
- Italian anti-death penalty group honors Pope Francis
- World Food Program cuts aid to Syrian refugees in Jordan
- UK leader pledges to send help to France to control migrants
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!