Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- GBI investigates shooting of man by Sandy Springs police
- Beverly Hall lawyers say she's still too sick to stand trial
- Gwinnett man gets 5 years for stealing insurance premiums
- Cobb County jury convicts man for helping girlfriend steal
- Judges appointed in Northern, Waycross and Coweta circuits
- Gingrey appointed to Georgia World Congress Center board
- Kennesaw State offers free tuberculosis testing
- Employee charged with stealing gifts during Macon weddings
- Police: Atlanta area man shot dead trying to rob dog breeder
- Flu hospitalizations of elderly hit record high, CDC says
- NYC to pay $5M to kin of man killed in 'Mafia cops' case
- San Francisco police detain man in human remains case
- Bill Cosby's show in Ohio draws a few protesters
- Prison for NYC duo accused of abusing partly paralyzed woman
- Air Force instructor gets 20 years in prison for rapes
- City will pay $3.9M in 2012 NY police shooting of Bronx teen
- Finished: Pit to access broken Seattle tunneling machine
- Motorcycle crash victim meets donors whose blood saved him
- Venezuela uses detained reporter in tourism promo
- More measles cases found in California
- German World War II panzer ace Otto Carius dies at 92
- Test of gun finds only DNA of deceased Argentine prosecutor
- Venezuela allows security forces to use firearms in protests
- Thousands protest right-wingers at Vienna ball, 38 detained
- Kurd allies fighting IS in north Iraq hampered by rivalries
- 5 may face preliminary charges over jihadi network in France
- Venezuela confirms it downed plane near Aruba
- Ukraine to ask UN states to call Russia a terrorism sponsor
- African Union postpones report on South Sudan atrocities
- EU antiterror chief calls for common laws against jihadis
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!