Saturday Night: Cloudy with an overnight low in the low 40s.
Sunday: Cloudy with rain ... More...
Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Interim presidents named at 2 GA universities
- UGA looks to boost research funds
- Georgia State to create media production center
- Bus hits plane at Atlanta airport; no one hurt
- Savannah police get help against surge in violence
- Atlanta VA names new assistant director
- Jury convicts man in death of Statesboro preacher
- Gang members get prison time for violent crimes
- Ex-Ga. letter carrier gets prison in robbery plot
- 2 charged in infant starvation on suicide watch
- NY state OK's $3.6 million after conviction tossed
- Family of NYC man killed by police seeks answers
- Ferguson experiences 3rd straight night of unrest
- Family of NYC man killed by police seek answers
- City: Quarter-toting 'Robin Hooders' must back off
- 3 years later: No charges in missing toddler case
- Dogfighting thrives in years since Vick case
- Gambling nuke commander linked to fake poker chips
- US releases Saudi prisoner from Guantanamo Bay
- Flooding becomes new threat in snowy Buffalo
- Pope meets with autistic children
- New Ebola case confirmed, 2 more suspected
- Family pays tribute to slain hostage Alan Henning
- Scientists seek more tombs at ancient Greek site
- Thousands take part in Spanish anti-abortion rally
- Kerry says gaps remain in talks about Iran's nukes
- Egypt to host major economic conference in March
- UK firms Aviva, Friends Life in $8.8B merger talks
- N. Korean student escaped kidnap attempt in Paris
- Nagorno-Karabkah says it killed 2 Azeri soldiers
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!