Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- GA roads, airport to see 1.3 million travelers
- Child protective services teams to work overtime
- 21 arrested during Ferguson protests in Atlanta
- Protesters in Atlanta oppose Ferguson decision
- Met Museum gets major gift of African-American art
- Clemency hearing set for Georgia death row inmate
- Dawson County man shot to death during fight
- Protesters plan Atlanta protest of Ferguson ruling
- Police identify woman fatally shot at bus stop
- UGA breaking ground on new annex
- Prosecutor faces new criticism over Ferguson case
- Protesters clear out as Ferguson streets calm down
- Developers look to create underground NYC park
- Thanksgiving travelers contend with rain, snow
- Police cruiser torched outside Ferguson city hall
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- 5th person pleads guilty in drug warehouse heist
- Man arrested; deputies say he aimed banana at them
- 2 men charged with trying to support Islamic State
- Cleveland crowd protests over boy shot by police
- IMF says Egypt's economy starting to recover
- Putin's tiger kills 15 goats in northeast China
- 6 killed in rebel attack on house of Yemen leader
- Iran parliament approve science minister nominee
- Once maligned, Iran's Jews find greater acceptance
- Germany to require 30 pct women in top boardrooms
- Merkel: Continued Russia sanctions "unavoidable"
- Saudi Arabia: Deaths from MERS virus reach 348
- Activists raise Raqqa strikes death toll to 95
- Impoverished Lebanese city is target for IS group
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!