Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. man sentenced in embezzlement from Grady Hospital
- Police: Detective fatally shot in 'ambush' outside Atlanta
- GA man sentenced in DUI crash that killed wife after wedding
- Deputy shoots, wounds man in central Georgia
- Man faces murder charge in killing of taxi driver's son
- Sleet, freezing rain possible in north Georgia
- Fulton County police officer shot and killed in line of duty
- Georgia attorney general to launch food drive competition
- Man killed in confrontation with police detectives
- Lawyers: Georgia waffles on execution with cloudy drug
- Fire at Oregon mobile home kills 3
- Firefighters rescue dog trapped in gap between walls
- Teacher jailed for showing high school class violent movie
- TV crew confronted on LA's Skid Row; 1 arrested
- Jury deliberations end for day in Jodi Arias case
- California man charged with trying to join Islamic State
- Ohio mom, boyfriend guilty; child emailed teacher for help
- Jury deliberations at Jodi Arias trial to resume Thursday
- Ferguson employee fired, 2 others on leave over emails
- Pharrell tells jury he didn't copy Marvin Gaye in hit song
- Chemical fire at Vancouver's port prompts evacuation
- Australia offers Indonesia prisoner swap to stop executions
- UK fraud office probes central bank auctions
- Former chief of Bolivia drug police under investigation
- Netanyahu gets bump in the polls after US speech
- At least 24 dead in mine blast
- Regional governor in Russia arrested on corruption charges
- Report: Killings continue in Colombia city at alarming rate
- Poor Pompeii, plagued by collapses, now funding is probed
- At least 10 dead, more trapped after mine explosion in Ukraine
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!