Tonight: A fair sky and seasonably cold with a low in the upper 30s to near 40.
Saturday: Sunny early, then a mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon high in the upper 60s and even near 70 in spots. A southwest wind at 10mph.
Saturday Night: ... More...
Hales Bar Dam Celebrating 100 Years
One hundred years ago, the Hales Bar Dam opened with fanfare heard around the globe. The Hales Bar Dam, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001, was the first multipurpose hydroelectric dam built on a navigable river in the world. The Hales Bar Dam paved the way for an industrialized south and led an emerging age of electrical technology.
Saturday November 16th at 2:00pm Central, and event to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Hales Bar Dam will take place at the historic Princess Theater in South Pittsburg, Tennessee.
Construction began on the dam in 1905, making it one of the oldest hydroelectric dams in the world. Initial estimate for the construction was $2 million to be completed in two years. Due to major unforeseen setbacks, the dam was not completed until 1913 at a staggering cost of $10 million, which was financed by Anthony Brady and built on land that was donated by Daniel Hale and his son George Hale for which the dam was named.
The event will feature live music from Blackbirds Revival, as well as a pre-screening of the up coming documentary Wide River to Cross, which tells the story of the historic dam.
Tickets to the 100th anniversary celebration will be $7. Proceeds will go to the Marion County food bank. For more information on the event or to reserve tickets, call 423-939-9369.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Woman doubted man was threat before Ga. shooting
- Audra McDonald to perform at 4th symphony gala
- Audra McDonald performs at 4th symphony gala
- Candidates qualifying for top Ga. primary races
- Candidate fields set for GA May primary elections
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- NJ's Christie raises money with Georgia Gov. Deal
- Morris Brown gets court's OK to sell some property
- SC expects no delay between study and harbor work
- After remains found, ID of person still a mystery
- Judge rejects Justice request on phone records
- Border Patrol releases use-of-force guidelines
- Officer responding to 911 call charged with rape
- Son held in killing of parents in California home
- Stocks drift as Ukraine tensions fester; Dow rises
- Accuser says general threatened her over affair
- Pentagon: About 20,000 Russian troops in Ukraine
- Blind man survives track fall as LA train arrives
- Guzman lieutenant says he wants trial in Chicago
- US stocks drift lower as Ukraine tensions fester
- Letter bombs found at N Ireland post offices
- Russia, Ukraine feud over sniper carnage
- Russians demonstration in support of Crimea move
- Ukraine may turn to UN General Assembly
- Hillary Clinton urges equality for women and girls
- Small group of protesters urge other nations to stop Crimea vote
- Statue of Egypt pharoanic princess found in Luxor
- Kenya president and cabinet take pay cuts
- UN criticizes violence against Egypt protesters
- Ukrainians urge US, EU to get on same wavelength
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Stories of HonorCelebrate black history all February long with Stories of Honor, sponsored by the Tennessee Lottery.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!