Tonight: Remaining cloudy this eventing with sprinkles and light rain showers slowly coming to an end. Overnight, expect decreasing clouds as lows drop to around 52. East winds at 5-10mph, becoming light.
Easter Sunday: Sunny, and BEAUTIFUL from sunrise service to ... More...
Hales Bar Dam Celebrating 100 Years
One hundred years ago, the Hales Bar Dam opened with fanfare heard around the globe. The Hales Bar Dam, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001, was the first multipurpose hydroelectric dam built on a navigable river in the world. The Hales Bar Dam paved the way for an industrialized south and led an emerging age of electrical technology.
Saturday November 16th at 2:00pm Central, and event to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Hales Bar Dam will take place at the historic Princess Theater in South Pittsburg, Tennessee.
Construction began on the dam in 1905, making it one of the oldest hydroelectric dams in the world. Initial estimate for the construction was $2 million to be completed in two years. Due to major unforeseen setbacks, the dam was not completed until 1913 at a staggering cost of $10 million, which was financed by Anthony Brady and built on land that was donated by Daniel Hale and his son George Hale for which the dam was named.
The event will feature live music from Blackbirds Revival, as well as a pre-screening of the up coming documentary Wide River to Cross, which tells the story of the historic dam.
Tickets to the 100th anniversary celebration will be $7. Proceeds will go to the Marion County food bank. For more information on the event or to reserve tickets, call 423-939-9369.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. GOP Senate hopefuls try to separate themselves
- Repairs to broken water main to take more time
- Sewage plant sparks smell concerns at garden
- Police probe drowning death in Lake Lanier
- Police probe Saturday slaying of Kennesaw man
- Police recover stolen House clerk's car in Atlanta
- Crews plan repairs for water main break in Atlanta
- Registration deadline to vote in primary near
- Zoo Atlanta has warthog births for spring
- Search launched for dean of UGA Graduate School
- Body found by highway is missing Massachusetts boy
- US weighing military exercises in Eastern Europe
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- Tenn. ammunition plant explosion ruled accidental
- Woman says beau stole her dog, TV on 1st date
- California man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- Creeping landslide devouring part of Wyoming town
- 4 dead, 2 hospitalized after car hits taxi near Houston
- Texas search group, FAA, at odds over drone use
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Attacks kill 16 across Iraq
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter
- Colombia hopes to share Garcia Marquez remains
- Bombs targeting soldiers, shoppers kill 11 in Iraq
- Ministry: 2 killed in apparent Bahrain car bombing
- Confirmed death toll climbs to 33; about 270 missing
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa; three still missing
- Man arrested over murder of ex-IRA leader
- Al-Qaida chief blesses attacks on Egypt security
- Iran general urges Tehran to make new UN pick
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!