Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Study: Ga. teachers, state workers pay more for health care
- Police investigating Norcross home invasion; 1 man shot
- Kennesaw man dies of injuries from fight
- Officials warn of firecrackers' impact on veterans with PTSD
- 3 sentenced in metro Atlanta tax fraud scheme
- Billy Dilworth --veteran Georgia, SC journalist -- dies at 80
- 2-year-old girl drowns in south Georgia river
- Atlanta DUI suspect jumps 30 feet from overpass
- Fleeing suspect runs to law enforcement training center
- Flash flood advisories issued in north Georgia
- Funeral for Mormon leader Boyd K. Packer slated for Friday
- Diana Douglas, 1st wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- 3 dead bodies found in 2 houses in coastal Maine town
- Friends trying to hand off rice cooker cause scare at casino
- Virginia chief says armed suspect killed during police chase
- Slain woman's parents focused on healing, not 'sanctuary'
- America celebrates July 4 with parades, hot dogs, cold beer
- Girl killed after being struck by jumping sturgeon in boat
- Magnitude 4.2 earthquake hits Oregon, no damage reported
- Excommunicated founder of Mormon women's group steps down
- IS video shows troops' deaths in Syria archaeological site
- Alternative for Germany party replaces euroskeptic leader
- Draft of sanctions relief at Iran nuclear talks in hand, awaiting senior officials' sign-off
- Bombings kill 15 people in and around Baghdad
- Neo-Nazis rally in London, outnumbered by rivals
- Syrian elite forces and Hezbollah fighters besiege mountain resort near Lebanon border
- Spanish police arrest man suspected of recruiting jihadis
- Russia's Putin sends July 4 greetings to Obama
- Hundreds march in Istanbul in support of Uighurs
- Report: Serbs ask Russia to veto UN resolution on Srebrenica
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!