Tonight: A fair sky and warm with an overnight low in the mid/upper 60s.
Thursday: Sunny to partly sunny. A little more humid along with just a slight chance for a late day pop up t-shower (especially north & Blue Ridge Mtns). An afternoon high ... More...
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police: Man shot by officer after stabbing another
- Ga. study committee examines medical marijuana
- Ala. man sentenced in illegal pesticide case
- Authorities say officer fired after being cut
- Education secretary plans visit to Georgia
- Pastor defies town's rules, puts up large sign
- DeKalb plans election to replace ex-official
- Carter picks up support from Ga. teachers' group
- Central Ga. brush fire could burn until next rain
- County eyes changes in tattoo, body piercing rules
- US checking report of 2nd American killed in Syria
- 5-pound Pomeranian is world's fastest on 2 feet
- Pediatric nurse charged with molesting 2-month-old
- A leader admits guilt in big disability-fraud case
- Woman accused of setting fire with burned bacon
- Police: Diplomat accused of beating, no charges
- Parents: Mom didn't understand abandoning baby
- Cold cash just keeps washing in from ALS challenge
- Vermont bistro scolded for removing its bacon sign
- National Guard completes departure from Ferguson
- Girls in Colombian town struck by mystery illness
- Niger lawmaker flees before being questioned
- Uruguayans can now sign up to grow pot at home
- UN panel: Crimes against humanity spread in Syria
- US official warns Ebola outbreak will get worse
- EU to beef up border agency to deal with migrants
- Cypriots protest proposed bank loan legislation
- EU beefs up border agency to deal with migrants
- Kenya rangers murder ivory poachers: report
- Libya's UN envoy warns of 'full-blown civil war'
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!