Tonight: Partly to mostly cloudy. Low in the upper 30s.
Cooler ... More...
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Crews work to assess storm damage, restore power
- Woman dies after being shot at MARTA bus stop
- Georgia court upholds private probation law
- Woman shot at MARTA bus stop outside Atlanta
- New streetcar involved in 2 crashes before debut
- Crews work to clear storm damage, restore power
- Power restored to most customers after storms
- Ga. authorities cracking down on driver safety for holidays
- Ga. lane closures halted for holiday travel period
- Tornado warning issued in central Georgia
- Japanese man gets back boat lost in 2011 tsunami
- U.Va. frat leader sickened by rape allegation
- US Steel to build new headquarters in Pittsburgh
- Ohio police probe shooting of boy with replica gun
- Police: Facebook posts of stolen guns spur arrest
- Hagel: US on stronger course toward security
- Buffalo residents prepare for floods
- Examiner rules NYC police shooting a homicide
- Cleveland's website hacked after police shoot boy
- Boston man still in hospital after naked fall
- Lawyers of al-Jazeera reporter urge his release
- Francis meets Egyptian president on European trip
- In Iran, Muslim clerics vow to combat extremists
- Forces backing elected Libyan government take town
- Morocco rights groups boycotting Marrakech meeting
- Floods kill at least 32 in southern Morocco
- Romania appoints diplomat as foreign minister
- Google settles with ex-banker over online abuse
- Fire damages 750-year-old oak tree in Poland
- Iraqi officials: Baghdad bombing kills 9 people
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!