Tonight: Cloudy. A chance for rain possible late. A better chance in southern and eastern parts of the viewing area. Snow showers mixing in at the higher peaks of the Smokies & Blue Ridge Mtns. An overnight low in the mid/upper 30s.
Wednesday: ... More...
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 21 arrested during Ferguson protests in Atlanta
- Protesters in Atlanta oppose Ferguson decision
- Met Museum gets major gift of African-American art
- Clemency hearing set for Georgia death row inmate
- Dawson County man shot to death during fight
- Protesters plan Atlanta protest of Ferguson ruling
- Police identify woman fatally shot at bus stop
- UGA breaking ground on new annex
- New director named for UGA Extension
- Ga. fire chief in trouble over homosexuality book
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- 5th person pleads guilty in drug warehouse heist
- Man arrested; deputies say he aimed banana at them
- 2 men charged with trying to support Islamic State
- Cleveland crowd protests over boy shot by police
- Grand jury focused on key fatal Ferguson 'tussle'
- 2 hunters shot in woods behind Pennsylvania school
- In Seattle, tofu turkeys get Thanksgiving pardons
- Obama pitches immigration steps in his hometown
- Obama: No excuse for destructive acts in Ferguson
- Report finds abusers remain in Australian ranks
- China state media says 24 coal miners die in fire
- Report cites weather in deadly Bahamas air crash
- Argentina president returns after illness
- Greece: HIV infections ease after spike
- Puerto Rico police seize $11.5M worth of cocaine
- Gunmen seize jewels and hostage in Paris heist
- UN: 12.2 million Syrians need humanitarian help
- 24 died in Burkina Faso unrest that ousted leader
- 8 shoes of Holocaust victims stolen in Poland
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!