Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the mid 80s. Light North wind.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows in the lower 60s and winds near calm.
Quiet weather pattern for most of the week with clear skies through Thursday and highs in the ... More...
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- ATF agent shot in Athens, hospitalized
- Ex-pupil, board member testify in cheating trial
- Report: Obama rode elevator with armed man
- Morgan: 'Can't believe' Wal-Mart blaming him
- Man sentenced to life in fatal Cobb Co. stabbing
- South GA Air Force base warns of training exercise
- Savannah harbor agreement to be signed next week
- 8 horses escape Ga. pasture, trot along freeway
- Businessman sentenced to prison term in fraud case
- Closing arguments begin in loud music killing case
- Fire damages several buildings in Atlantic City
- Pennsylvania trooper shot dead during gun training
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Psych expert says suspect didn't understand rights
- Jury convicts Colorado teen in newlywed slayings
- Casino mogul says experience, not gambling, is key
- Government confirms first case of Ebola in US
- Scientists see bleached coral in northwest Hawaii
- 2 sue Jehovah's Witnesses congregation, say abused
- Administration urges rejection of Brewer's appeal
- 2 suicide bomber attacks in Kabul kill 7, wound 21
- Rousseff takes lead in Brazil election poll
- Pot decriminalization bill drafted in Jamaica
- Large crowds mark 1991 coup anniversary in Haiti
- Spanish rescued after 12 days trapped in Peru cave
- Iranian filmmakers call for nuclear deal
- Most of China doesn't see protests in Hong Kong
- Deadly wave of attacks in Baghdad, elsewhere
- Lawmaker: Italian spy agency paid Mafia bosses
- Guinea-Bissau leader pardons accused in coup try
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!