Tonight: Clear and chilly with an overnight low in the city near 40. 30s away from the city.
Thursday: Sunny and ... More...
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia man gets 7 years in Texas weapons case
- Man charged with assault when online romance sours
- Woman, 61, killed in Kennesaw house fire
- Hallway brawls prompt new security at Ga. school
- Atlanta unveiling new customer service program
- Drone operation course to be offered at GA school
- Elections official to participate in Emory event
- Body of eastern Georgia teen found in wooded area
- Furniture retailer building west Georgia facility
- More than 206,600 early ballots cast in Georgia
- Government to announce Social Security COLA
- Klain meets with Obama on first day as Ebola czar
- Judge reviews mental state of stabbing suspect, 12
- Gov't seeks supplies for immigration documents
- Ebola airport checks expand; nurses get training
- Guns, Giffords play big role in Arizona House race
- US journalist to head home after Ebola recovery
- Indiana man was violent long before 7 killings
- Ebola victim's sister says hospital denied request
- Coach of football team charged in hazing suspended
- Pistorius spends first night in single jail cell
- Sweden raises estimate of foreign fighters
- Father of UK hostage dies after appeal to save son
- Kerry: US Congress important to Iran negotiations
- Japan to send officials to North Korea next week
- Sweden closes probe into 2010 suicide bombing
- Call me Jokowi, says Indonesia's president
- Red Cross official: 6 months to contain Ebola
- 2nd ship to join hunt for missing Malaysian plane
- S. Korea dismantles border Christmas tree
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!