Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
Enrollment at Tennessee Board of Regents colleges has dropped an average of 4.4 percent this fall.
The figure is averaged over the six universities and 13 colleges under Regents supervision, including Chattanooga State and Cleveland State.
The state's other public university system, the University of Tennessee, has not yet released enrollment figures.
At Middle Tennessee State University, the drop was 4.5 percent among fulltime students. University spokesman Andrew Oppmann said several factors contributed to the decline, but he noted steadily rising tuition costs are a factor.
TBR Chancellor John Morgan said it isn't yet clear whether the declines will trigger additional cuts in state funding.
Of concern is a decline in the number of returning students and a recent change in which the legislature tied state funding to graduation rates.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Scientists study how rising seas will reshape Georgia coast
- Man sentenced for shooting stepfather in eye with flare gun
- Georgia-Pacific to close Wisconsin plant
- Former police officer charged with theft in federal court
- Authorities capture man in 1991 death of former girlfriend
- Health, election work elevated Jimmy Carter post-presidency
- Former sheriff's major convicted in corruption trial
- 3 convicted in anti-government militia plot receive 12 years
- 3 men sentenced to prison in anti-government militia plot
- Police investigate murder-suicide of parents in Georgia
- Rare photos of 19th-century blacks speak to modern Americans
- Hurricane churns in ocean, but watch ended for Hawaii
- Jewish site shootings trial to resume with closing arguments
- Cops: Maine driver cited after selfie leads to injuries
- Kerry, Obama to raise global warming issues in Alaska
- Eastern Oregon fire destroys 2 more homes, guest house
- Shark spotted off California beach again in 2 days
- Police: Portion of Newark Liberty Airport evacuated
- 6 San Quentin inmates ill with Legionnaires' disease
- Twin boys dead after being found unconscious in Phoenix area
- The Latest: Thai police find bomb materials in 2nd apartment
- Influential Christian sect ends protests in Philippines
- China says 197 punished in crackdown on online rumors
- Governor: Boko Haram kills 68 in remote part of Borno State
- Opinion polls predict tight race, fractured Parliament
- Nestle: Forced labor has no place in our food supply chain
- Bull gores 66-year-old man to death during Spanish festival
- Iran sentences 2 people to jail for spying for US, Israel
- Nigerian official: Boko Haram is trying to hit Lagos
- Pope: Let's stop crimes like deaths of migrants in trucks
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!