Today: A mix of sun and clouds. Cooler, with a high in the mid 50s. A north/northwest wind at 5-10mph.
Tonight: Cloudy. A chance for rain possible, especially favoring the southern and eastern parts of the viewing area. Snow showers mixing ... More...
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
Enrollment at Tennessee Board of Regents colleges has dropped an average of 4.4 percent this fall.
The figure is averaged over the six universities and 13 colleges under Regents supervision, including Chattanooga State and Cleveland State.
The state's other public university system, the University of Tennessee, has not yet released enrollment figures.
At Middle Tennessee State University, the drop was 4.5 percent among fulltime students. University spokesman Andrew Oppmann said several factors contributed to the decline, but he noted steadily rising tuition costs are a factor.
TBR Chancellor John Morgan said it isn't yet clear whether the declines will trigger additional cuts in state funding.
Of concern is a decline in the number of returning students and a recent change in which the legislature tied state funding to graduation rates.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Protesters in Atlanta oppose Ferguson decision
- Clemency hearing set for Georgia death row inmate
- Dawson County man shot to death during fight
- Protesters plan Atlanta protest of Ferguson ruling
- Police identify woman fatally shot at bus stop
- UGA breaking ground on new annex
- New director named for UGA Extension
- Ga. fire chief in trouble over homosexuality book
- Former jail clerk charged with theft from inmates
- Body found on shore of Lake Lanier
- Lawmakers near deal to extend popular tax breaks
- Nobel Prize for DNA discovery going to auction
- Ohio attorney suspended over hypnosis allegations
- Ebola isolation at US base 'pretty much vacation'
- Tsarnaev lawyers lose bid for info in '11 slayings
- Brown family blasts prosecutor's handling of case
- Conservationists sue over federal coal program
- La. teacher pleads not guilty in group sex case
- AP El Paso correspondent Llorca dies at 40
- A glance at Ferguson: Then, now and the future
- UN: 12.2 million Syrians need humanitarian help
- 24 died in Burkina Faso unrest that ousted leader
- 8 shoes of Holocaust victims stolen in Poland
- Top US Jesuit defends Vatican sex prosecutor
- Pope confirms calling Spanish sex abuse victim
- Iran leader approves further nuclear negotiations
- Ethiopia hopes to set world record for HIV tests
- Hundreds of migrants on crippled ship off Crete
- Report: Spies lacked info to stop soldier's murder
- Hungary police warn women of dangers of flirting
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!