Tonight: With the exception of an isolated evening t-shower, expect a partly cloudy and muggy night with a low in ... More...
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
Enrollment at Tennessee Board of Regents colleges has dropped an average of 4.4 percent this fall.
The figure is averaged over the six universities and 13 colleges under Regents supervision, including Chattanooga State and Cleveland State.
The state's other public university system, the University of Tennessee, has not yet released enrollment figures.
At Middle Tennessee State University, the drop was 4.5 percent among fulltime students. University spokesman Andrew Oppmann said several factors contributed to the decline, but he noted steadily rising tuition costs are a factor.
TBR Chancellor John Morgan said it isn't yet clear whether the declines will trigger additional cuts in state funding.
Of concern is a decline in the number of returning students and a recent change in which the legislature tied state funding to graduation rates.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Group rallies in Ga. to protest Missouri shooting
- GA teen found with bullets at school faces charges
- 4 accused of throwing rocks from Ga. overpass
- Heat advisory issued in middle, east Georgia
- Arrested US judge embarrassed, entering treatment
- Rapper Gucci Mane sentenced on federal gun charge
- Fiery crash shuts down westbound lanes of I-20
- Georgia Aquarium continues effort to import whales
- 6 Tuskegee students finally home from Liberia
- Rocks tossed from bridge strike vehicles on I-985
- Quieter night in Ferguson, with fewer protesters
- Many police killings, but only Ferguson explodes
- Vegas offering all but marriage to LGBT tourists
- Hearing set in Amish girls' kidnapping in NY
- OSU freshman hospitalized after cardiac incident
- Guilty plea expected by friend of marathon suspect
- Palestinian banner unfurled on NYC bridge
- Israeli air strikes pound Gaza; 6 dead in Rafah
- Serena the singer? Tennis star does karaoke
- Ferguson's streets are quieter
- Indonesian police fire tear gas as poll protesters
- Police: Room disagreement preceded Bali killing
- Interpol urges world response to Iraq extremists
- Pakistan holds talks with opposition protesters
- With Erdogan at helm, Turkey to choose premier
- Mongolia hosts China's leader, seeks port access
- Australia cites reporter's killing in law reforms
- Tibet group says 3 more dead after police shooting
- Thai army ruler nominated as next prime minister
- China tries 5 cult members for murder
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!