Tonight: Evening t-showers, otherwise cloudy and muggy with a low near 70.
Wednesday: ... More...
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- GBI: Officer dragged by vehicle, kills driver
- Carter: Immediate ceasefire needed in Gaza Strip
- Police: Resident fights robbery suspects; 1 shot
- Man accused in officer death to be tried in Athens
- Seaplane pilots want to land planes on Lake Lanier
- Authorities identify pregnant woman killed by car
- 2 Fantasy 5 players win $96,813.93 jackpots
- Tropical depression moving westward in Atlantic
- GOP voters in Ga. to decide Senate nominee
- Primary runoff for Ga. schools post, Congress
- Judge nixes lawsuit over Empire State Building IPO
- Hunt on for large, exotic snake in New Jersey lake
- Senate panel advances global disabilities pact
- Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy
- Ex-miner asks Congress for help on black lung
- Purple Heart sent to girl stabbed 19 times
- Suspect arrested in bomb scare on Louisiana campus
- Police say principal caught taking drugs to prison
- Obama pledges justice in visit to Dutch embassy
- 7th death blamed on 2013 Philly building collapse
- Italy arrests smugglers accused of killing dozens
- Minibus crash in France kills 5 children, 1 adult
- Turkish PM says he, Obama no longer talk directly
- C. African Republic talks on hold; rebels absent
- Gaza rocket lands near Israel's main airport
- Assailants attack Congo military camp in capital
- Polish leader wants NATO to beef up eastern flank
- British experts to analyze MH17 black boxes
- Report finds Islamic plot to control UK schools
- Kerry: Cease-fire won't be enough
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Health and Beauty
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!