Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ex-APS official says district ordered documents destroyed
- 2 loaded guns, 2 inert grenades recovered at Atlanta airport
- Alabama gay couple wants court victory to take effect
- Suit says DeKalb court practices unjustly target the poor
- Black breast-feeding gatherings battle troubling health gaps
- Ga. Senate passes bill requiring coverage for autism therapy
- Work begins to raise Confederate warship from Savannah River
- MLK children working to settle dispute over Bible, prize
- Tuscaloosa VA director moving to Augusta VA hospital
- Metro Atlanta jobless rate remains unchanged at 6.4 percent
- 1 of 4 remaining World War II Doolittle Raiders dies at 94
- John Kerry fined $50 for failing to shovel snow outside home
- Elderly Massachusetts residents found dead after blizzard
- Obama budget to call for $1 billion for Central America
- Obama to Democrats: Time to end budget austerity
- Brother of man challenging travel restrictions on FBI list
- California meets judges' prison crowding goal 1 year early
- Balloon crew surpasses distance record in Pacific flight
- Amy Poehler feted by Harvard's Hasty Pudding
- Man faces execution in Texas for 1996 strangling death
- Jamaica preparing to extradite lottery scam suspect to US
- Wife of imprisoned Saudi blogger asks Canada PM to intervene
- New Saudi king reshuffles cabinet
- At least 2 dead, more than 50 hurt in gas explosion at children's hospital,
- Several simultaneous attacks in Egypt's Sinai kill 6
- Russian woman arrested after giving information to Ukraine
- Simultaneous attacks target security forces in Egypt's Sinai
- London summons Russian envoy after bombers near UK airspace
- Belarus to host new round of Ukrainian peace talks
- Bosnian presidency adopts plan on how to get closer to EU
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!