Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia sheriff accused of shooting woman in the abdomen
- Man crashes SUV into church, injures 3 children
- Man charged with killing wife after dispute about finances
- Man shot and killed in Atlanta suburb of Lithonia
- Police identify man shot near Underground Atlanta
- Man stabbed after opening door to his hotel room in Augusta
- Man working on car along road struck, killed by vehicle
- Man faces murder charges after gun fires, striking toddler
- Legislators dub 2015 General Assembly 'year of the child'
- Hall County graduates record number of female firefighters
- Obama presidential legacy begins to take shape
- The Latest on Nepal: Everest climbing season likely to end
- GOP field grows: Fiorina, Carson to launch presidential bids
- APNewsBreak: Pentagon accused of withholding sex crimes info
- Bomber's Russian relatives to testify in marathon trial
- Police: 4 dead, 1 hurt in shooting on Wisconsin bridge
- NYPD arrest retraining: 'Talking people into their cuffs'
- The Latest on Nepal: Nepal urging foreign rescuers to leave
- Survey: States spent heavily to clear winter snow and ice
- 3 congregants killed when semi slams into church van
- US military: No indication civilians killed in Syria strike
- Thailand arrests 3, vows crackdown on human traffickers
- Israeli president says Ethiopian protest exposes 'wound'
- French president visits Qatar, deepening ties to Gulf
- Kerry honors victims in Kenya as talks focus on al-Shabaab
- Everest climbing season likely over in Nepal
- Retiring Hong Kong police chief slams radical protesters
- Suicide bomber strikes government bus in Afghanistan, 1 dead
- Magnitude-5.6 quake jolts New Zealand; no major damage
- Philippine military chief confirms wanted militant killed
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!