Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Deputy shoots, wounds man in central Georgia
- Man faces murder charge in killing of taxi driver's son
- Sleet, freezing rain possible in north Georgia
- Fulton County police officer shot and killed in line of duty
- Georgia attorney general to launch food drive competition
- Man killed in confrontation with police detectives
- Lawyers: Georgia waffles on execution with cloudy drug
- Emory's Alzheimer's Disease Research Center to get $25M
- Columbus State University to open lab, lounge for military
- Mississippi Power notes new Kemper overrun amid uncertainty
- Latest on Boston bombing trial: Jury sees video of explosion
- AP INTERVIEW: Reid wants Congress to delay Iran legislation
- David Geffen donates $100 million to Lincoln Center
- Senate votes to kill a labor board rule that unions backed
- Facebook killing suspect describes relationship with victim
- Case against Argentine president appealed
- Small plane crashes in botanical garden in Virginia; 3 dead
- Couple plead not guilty to locking up, abusing adopted kids
- US official: Obama still weighing sending arms to Ukraine
- Latest on Boston bombing trial: 1st witness takes stand
- Poor Pompeii, plagued by collapses, now funding is probed
- At least 10 dead, more trapped after mine explosion in Ukraine
- US-Polish live-fire army exercise begins
- Egypt court upholds verdict for police over activist killing
- UN extends expert panel monitoring sanctions on North Korea
- Libya makes urgent appeal to UN to lift embargo on weapons
- Romania begins shipping gas to Moldova
- Report: 6 Saudis behind al-Qaida abduction of diplomat
- Russian opposition figure Navalny's brother moved from jail
- Israel to double water supplies to Gaza Strip amid tensions
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!