Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Second teen charged in Georgia Wal-Mart rampage
- Effort to remove GA prosecutor from jail death case blocked
- No injuries reported in Savannah truck explosion
- Man shot to death in southwest Atlanta nightclub identified
- 2 charged in slaying of Fayetteville restaurant manager
- Arrest made in 2013 shooting of south Georgia mayor
- Major leaves Fort Benning for new assignment at Fort Stewart
- Police investigate after truck explodes in downtown Savannah
- DeKalb police investigate after man shot while walking
- Atlanta airport anticipates busy holiday travel weekend
- Police detain man found in NC mall with rifle, ammunition
- Colorado camp resort for pot users falls through
- Doctor linked to Sen. Menendez released from jail
- Fireworks-filled van explodes on California freeway
- Wife of Massachusetts man killed by police decries shooting
- Connecticut town's Boom Box Parade celebrates 30th year
- Teen charged with killing teacher loses bid to move trial
- LA district attorney declines to file charges against Diddy
- Marine killed in World War II is buried in Massachusetts
- Gov. Brown approves removing 'lynching' from California law
- 3 days before pope visit, Ecuador protests aim at president
- Bill Clinton visits Vietnam to mark 20th anniversary of ties
- Cash-strapped UN food agency reduces help to Syrian refugees
- Homemade explosive wounds 5 in Colombian capital, police say
- Saudi-led strikes target Yemen rebel camps, kill 8 in Sanaa
- UN observers say Burundi elections on Monday were not free
- Leopard mauls guide's arm in attack in South African park
- Documents: Mexican army ordered troops to 'kill criminals'
- The Latest: Professor criticizes IMF, EU stances on Greece
- Report: Saudi king censors TV host, pro-Brotherhood scholar
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!