Saturday: Increasing clouds and a little warmer with an afternoon high in the upper 50s to even near 60 in spots. A southeast wind at 5-10mph.
Saturday Night: Cloudy with ... More...
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Bus hits plane at Atlanta airport; no one hurt
- Savannah police get help against surge in violence
- Atlanta VA names new assistant director
- Jury convicts man in death of Statesboro preacher
- Gang members get prison time for violent crimes
- Ex-Ga. letter carrier gets prison in robbery plot
- 2 charged in infant starvation on suicide watch
- Ex-Savannah-Chatham police chief convicted
- Marietta man gets 20 yearsin Christmas shooting
- Suspicious package near CDC snarls traffic
- Flooding becomes new threat in snowy Buffalo
- Family of NYC man killed by police seek answers
- AP sources: Obama broadens mission in Afghanistan
- Boy who fell from cliff wakes from induced coma
- Pregnant woman, 3 others shot, killed; girl hurt
- Pregnant woman, 4 others shot, killed; girl hurt
- Teacher charged, on leave for dragging student
- Students protest school response to rape claims
- Verdict pending, Malaysia's Anwar visits US
- San Francisco window washer falls onto moving car
- Biden calls on nations to focus on energy security
- Germany releases, deports convicted Russia spy
- UK volunteers fly to Sierra Leone to fight Ebola
- Hundreds evacuated after London hotel explosion
- Plague outbreak kills 40 people in Madagascar
- Iraqi forces, Islamic State group battle in Ramadi
- Polish town opposes Pooh Bear for unclear gender
- Islamic State group's drive to capture key town in northern Syria blunted by Kurds
- China party paper backs charges against journalist
- US warns citizens to avoid resort of Acapulco
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!