Friday Night: A clear sky with an overnight low near 30. 20s away from the city.
Saturday: Partly sunny and warmer with an afternoon high in the mid/upper 50s. A south wind at 10-15mph.
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy and not ... More...
Dalton Schools Recognized as Reward Schools
Three Dalton schools have been recognized as some of the highest performing schools in Georgia based on state assessments.
Brookwood and Westwood elementary schools were two of only six northwest Georgia schools recognized as Highest Performing Schools. Only 78 schools statewide received this honor. Dalton High School was named a High-Progress School for its improvements in performance and progress. Dalton High was one of only two high schools recognized in northwest Georgia. The Reward Schools honors are part of the state’s Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) flexibility waiver.
“These schools are shining examples of what we can achieve in public education in Georgia,” said State School Superintendent Dr. John Barge. “I want to take what’s working at our Reward Schools and replicate that in every school in the state. These are the schools making education work for all Georgians.”
“It is an honor to be chosen as a Rewards school,” said Angela Garrett, principal of Westwood School. “Our staff design lessons together and integrate subject areas to make learning more authentic for children.” Garrett credits the district’s use of a literacy framework for building children’s confidence in reading. “We’ve seen an increase in children choosing to read informational books and that has had a direct effect on their learning. Being a Rewards school is affirmation that we need to continue listening to our students and creating new and innovative ways to offer the standards to help them learn.”
“Receiving High-Performing status from the state is another affirmation of the work we do with students and families each day,” said Celeste Martin, principal of Brookwood School. “Our staff is truly committed to knowing our students, working together, and providing engaging work for students. Our parents and families are wonderfully supportive of our efforts and volunteer in many capacities. It is through our partnership and commitment to improvement that we excel. Brookwood is appreciative and proud to be part of the Dalton Public Schools team!”
A Highest-Performing School is among the 5 percentage of Title I of schools in the state that has the highest absolute performance over three years for the “all students” group on statewide assessments. A High-Progress School is among the 10 percentage of Title I schools in the state that is making the most progress in improving the performance of the “all students” group over three years on the statewide assessments.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia's Redcoat Band plans James Brown tribute
- Deputy released from hospital after gunshot wound
- Alabama man dies on flight from Atlanta to Seattle
- Black Friday shoppers: Thanksgiving not for sales
- Deputies hurt while breaking up fight in east Ga.
- Grady no longer accepting major insurer
- More than a dozen horses die in Woodstock fire
- George Takei to narrate Atlanta Symphony concerts
- Police fear gunman may be targeting homeless
- Deputy wounded by shotgun expected to recover
- Vegas scooter rider dead in crash on Thanksgiving
- NY dealership ceiling partly collapses, killing 1
- NY officer saw snow boot, then found 2 buried boys
- Police: Man tries to silence neighbor's loud dog
- Ferguson protest closes huge St. Louis-area mall
- Cats in Oregon van get outpouring of donations
- Bob Baker, legendary puppeteer, dead at 90
- Spanier-Freeh lawsuit ordered back to county court
- Austin police: Man fired 100-plus rounds downtown
- UPMC employee died of cyanide, how undetermined
- Death toll in Venezuelan prison overdose up to 35
- Officials: Israel's Eisenkot named military chief
- Argentina: scandal widens over Swiss bank accounts
- Yemen's Shiite, Sunni rivals hold rare meeting
- Bomb blast hits mosque in northern Nigeria city
- Russian Navy successfully tests new missile
- Spain: Bank shootout kills police officer, suspect
- Flooding kills at least 4 in French Riviera towns
- Rebels push forward in southern Syria
- French president cheered in Ebola-stricken Guinea
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!