Dalton Schools Recognized as Reward Schools
Three Dalton schools have been recognized as some of the highest performing schools in Georgia based on state assessments.
Brookwood and Westwood elementary schools were two of only six northwest Georgia schools recognized as Highest Performing Schools. Only 78 schools statewide received this honor. Dalton High School was named a High-Progress School for its improvements in performance and progress. Dalton High was one of only two high schools recognized in northwest Georgia. The Reward Schools honors are part of the state’s Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) flexibility waiver.
“These schools are shining examples of what we can achieve in public education in Georgia,” said State School Superintendent Dr. John Barge. “I want to take what’s working at our Reward Schools and replicate that in every school in the state. These are the schools making education work for all Georgians.”
“It is an honor to be chosen as a Rewards school,” said Angela Garrett, principal of Westwood School. “Our staff design lessons together and integrate subject areas to make learning more authentic for children.” Garrett credits the district’s use of a literacy framework for building children’s confidence in reading. “We’ve seen an increase in children choosing to read informational books and that has had a direct effect on their learning. Being a Rewards school is affirmation that we need to continue listening to our students and creating new and innovative ways to offer the standards to help them learn.”
“Receiving High-Performing status from the state is another affirmation of the work we do with students and families each day,” said Celeste Martin, principal of Brookwood School. “Our staff is truly committed to knowing our students, working together, and providing engaging work for students. Our parents and families are wonderfully supportive of our efforts and volunteer in many capacities. It is through our partnership and commitment to improvement that we excel. Brookwood is appreciative and proud to be part of the Dalton Public Schools team!”
A Highest-Performing School is among the 5 percentage of Title I of schools in the state that has the highest absolute performance over three years for the “all students” group on statewide assessments. A High-Progress School is among the 10 percentage of Title I schools in the state that is making the most progress in improving the performance of the “all students” group over three years on the statewide assessments.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Former president Carter reflects before milestone mission
- Police say Lil Wayne tour bus struck by bullets
- 2 killed in northwest Atlanta shooting
- 2 Savannah policemen among Reservists going to Middle East
- Savannah police investigating shooting, crash
- FAA inspector charged with dodging security; caught with gun
- Man shot in chest in Macon
- Funerals for 2 Georgia Southern students killed in crash
- Man found stabbed to death in Roswell
- Atlanta developer plans to add 6 stories to high rise
- Corinthian Colleges to shut down all 28 remaining campuses
- Golden Gate Bridge officials seek help in addressing drones
- Centenary of 1.5 million Armenian deaths marked in NYC
- The Latest: Wake held for man who died after arrest
- Man driving motorhome leads Alaska State Troopers on a chase
- FBI director, Sen. Leahy, give details of Louis Freeh crash
- Storied NYC college awaits results of attorney general probe
- Ex-Ranger's long march to honor WWII hero
- Ohio in a minority as high court weighs same-sex marriage
- Picture it: A 1,000-year exposure showing a changing Earth
- Official: Palestinian operatives helped free Syria hostages
- Palestinian official skeptical about next Israeli government
- Saudi Arabia: Military training aircraft crashes, killing 2
- France detains second suspect in thwarted attack probe
- Saudi-led airstrikes hit Yemen rebels in capital, south
- Putin accuses US of supporting separatists in Russia
- Nigeria recalls diplomats from South Africa over attacks
- Ceremonies mark liberation of 2 Nazi camps 70 years ago
- German, French rescue teams on way to Nepal
- Pope urges assistance for Nepal quake victims
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!