Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid 40s.
Saturday: Sunny to partly sunny and warmer through the afternoon with a high in the mid 70s.
Saturday Night: A fair sky with a low in the low 50s (40s ... More...
Dalton Schools Recognized as Reward Schools
Three Dalton schools have been recognized as some of the highest performing schools in Georgia based on state assessments.
Brookwood and Westwood elementary schools were two of only six northwest Georgia schools recognized as Highest Performing Schools. Only 78 schools statewide received this honor. Dalton High School was named a High-Progress School for its improvements in performance and progress. Dalton High was one of only two high schools recognized in northwest Georgia. The Reward Schools honors are part of the state’s Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) flexibility waiver.
“These schools are shining examples of what we can achieve in public education in Georgia,” said State School Superintendent Dr. John Barge. “I want to take what’s working at our Reward Schools and replicate that in every school in the state. These are the schools making education work for all Georgians.”
“It is an honor to be chosen as a Rewards school,” said Angela Garrett, principal of Westwood School. “Our staff design lessons together and integrate subject areas to make learning more authentic for children.” Garrett credits the district’s use of a literacy framework for building children’s confidence in reading. “We’ve seen an increase in children choosing to read informational books and that has had a direct effect on their learning. Being a Rewards school is affirmation that we need to continue listening to our students and creating new and innovative ways to offer the standards to help them learn.”
“Receiving High-Performing status from the state is another affirmation of the work we do with students and families each day,” said Celeste Martin, principal of Brookwood School. “Our staff is truly committed to knowing our students, working together, and providing engaging work for students. Our parents and families are wonderfully supportive of our efforts and volunteer in many capacities. It is through our partnership and commitment to improvement that we excel. Brookwood is appreciative and proud to be part of the Dalton Public Schools team!”
A Highest-Performing School is among the 5 percentage of Title I of schools in the state that has the highest absolute performance over three years for the “all students” group on statewide assessments. A High-Progress School is among the 10 percentage of Title I schools in the state that is making the most progress in improving the performance of the “all students” group over three years on the statewide assessments.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Woman at Ga. homeless camp wounded in knife attack
- Police: Mom, infant rescued from Savannah river
- Hacker gets prison for cyberattack stealing $9.4M
- Emory confirms Ebola no longer detected in nurse
- Emory: Tests no longer detect Ebola virus in nurse
- Ala court voids same-sex child visitation order
- Va. man wanted in fatal shooting caught in Georgia
- 150 students at Ga. school to be tested for TB
- Body in burned car identified as Atlanta woman
- Georgia probate judge guilty of embezzlement
- Report: No escape charges for Ohio school shooter
- Marathon suspect's lawyers again cite media leaks
- NYC police commissioner: Hatchet attack was terror
- Shooter, 1 other student killed in school gunfire
- Poll: 2 of 3 Americans say IS threat is important
- Doctor said to be 'relatively stable'
- Boston mayor vetoes $20,000 city council pay raise
- ZeekRewards founder charged in $850 million scam
- Le Minh Thai, Vietnam War photographer, dies
- California sheriff's deputy, carjack victim shot
- Mozambique's ruling party wins presidential race
- Nurse: Toddler who brought Ebola to Mali dies
- Putin accuses US of undermining global stability
- Dominican Republic rejects int'l court decision
- Muslim leaders say gunman was critical of mosque
- Aid group: No need to isolate staff treating Ebola
- Italian court acquits Dolce&Gabbana in tax case
- 4 consulates get suspicious packages in Turkey
- WHO: Mali case may have infected many people
- Cholera sickens nearly 1,000 people in Niger
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!