Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at email@example.com for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- GBI investigates shooting of man by Sandy Springs police
- Beverly Hall lawyers say she's still too sick to stand trial
- Gwinnett man gets 5 years for stealing insurance premiums
- Cobb County jury convicts man for helping girlfriend steal
- Judges appointed in Northern, Waycross and Coweta circuits
- Gingrey appointed to Georgia World Congress Center board
- Kennesaw State offers free tuberculosis testing
- Employee charged with stealing gifts during Macon weddings
- Police: Atlanta area man shot dead trying to rob dog breeder
- Flu hospitalizations of elderly hit record high, CDC says
- Bill Cosby's show in Ohio draws a few protesters
- Prison for NYC duo accused of abusing partly paralyzed woman
- City will pay $3.9M in 2012 NY police shooting of Bronx teen
- Air Force instructor gets 20 years in prison for rapes
- Finished: Pit to access broken Seattle tunneling machine
- Motorcycle crash victim meets donors whose blood saved him
- Venezuela uses detained reporter in tourism promo
- More measles cases found in California
- Ow, ow, owl: Birders ID culprit in Salem jogger attacks
- Brandeis University president to step down, take job at Yale
- German World War II panzer ace Otto Carius dies at 92
- Test of gun finds only DNA of deceased Argentine prosecutor
- Venezuela allows security forces to use firearms in protests
- Thousands protest right-wingers at Vienna ball, 38 detained
- Kurd allies fighting IS in north Iraq hampered by rivalries
- 5 may face preliminary charges over jihadi network in France
- Venezuela confirms it downed plane near Aruba
- Ukraine to ask UN states to call Russia a terrorism sponsor
- African Union postpones report on South Sudan atrocities
- EU antiterror chief calls for common laws against jihadis
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!