Tonight: Clear and chilly with an overnight low in the city near 40. 30s away from the city. Patchy frost possible in outlying areas and local mountains.
Thursday: Sunny and a little warmer through the afternoon with a high ... More...
Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at email@example.com for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Deal, Carter discuss gun laws, reforms at forum
- Group blocks Atlanta freeway in police protest
- Authorities in Ga. arrest 18 in child porn raids
- Body recovered from burned out car in Clarke Co.
- Fort Stewart deploying 32 soldiers to fight Ebola
- Georgia Aquarium says beluga whale is pregnant
- Ga. hospital to pay $8.4 million in settlement
- Feds find no violations at SC nuke fuel plant
- Deal promises review of Georgia's school funding
- Rome leaders consider trail to link area colleges
- Wildlife rehab for bear found in Oregon drugstore
- Protest against police brutality blocks Ga freeway
- Vandalism reported at 5 National Parks
- Nebraska trucker returns bull mastiff to Arizona
- Teens' travel renews concerns about terror appeal
- Colorado girls make possible bid to join militants
- Van replaces Oregon city's $1 million library
- No verdict yet in trial of Tsarnaev's friend
- Senator blasts CIA for censoring `torture' report
- Princess in cockfighting case gets probation
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- No motive cited in Ottawa attack
- Gunman, soldier dead after shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- Mexico: Mayor linked to deadly attack on students
- Tourists watch solar alignment in Egypt temple
- Canada had raised domestic terror threat level yesterday
- Ottawa hospital says it treated 3 shooting victims
- Witness describes shooting of soldier at Canadian war memorial
- Mexican military kills 19, suffers no casualties
- WHO: Ebola responsible for more than 4,800 deaths
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!