Tonight: A clear sky and still chilly. Frost possible, especially in areas away from the city. An overnight low in the mid 30s (below freezing in spots away from the city and north)
Thursday: Mostly sunny and warmer through the afternoon with ... More...
Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ex-Ga. sheriff's deputy convicted of battery
- Deal signs medical school scholarship regulation
- GA insurance commissioner releases enrollment data
- 2 charged in kidnapping of NC prosecutor's father
- Thousands using new Ga. online voter registration
- US transportation secretary visits Atlanta
- No injuries reported from building's falling glass
- FEMA chief to address US hurricane conference
- Up to 100 students hit by blast of pepper spray
- Moniz raised MOX alternatives with Russia
- Texas town recovering year after deadly blast
- Owners end legal fight, sell land to Summit County
- Blast at Tennessee plant kills 1, injures 3
- Number of missing in Washington mudslide drops
- 10 Things to Know for Thursday
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 14 injured
- Fire truck rams California eatery; 14 injured
- Troopers issue report on fatal Fla. day care crash
- 3 school staffers on leave in Vegas cheating probe
- Experts say video doesn't show Earhart wreckage
- Journalists charged with defaming Thailand's navy
- Moderate earthquake jolts southern Iran
- India struggles with rebel threats during election
- Ukraine, US to alternately cajole, threaten Russia
- Conditions hampering search of South Korea ferry
- Malaysian lawmaker and lawyer Karpal Singh dies
- Lawyers in 9/11 at Gitmo case seek to question FBI
- uFly fires flight simulator who appeared on CNN
- Nigerian military: 100+ kidnapped students free
- Nigerian military: 121 kidnapped students free
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!