Saturday Night: A fair sky with a low in the low 50s (40s away from the city)
Sunday: Mostly sunny and even warmer. An afternoon high in the mid/upper 70s.
Partly sunny and near 80 by Monday. This trend continues ... More...
Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at email@example.com for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Officer shoots teen outside stadium during game
- State plan is aimed at helping Alabama veterans
- State schools chief says he's applied for Rome job
- In Ga. Senate race, Ted Cruz stumps for Perdue
- Athens-Clarke County police name interim chief
- Democratic Rep. Barrow works for GOP votes in Ga.
- Ga. polls open statewide for Saturday voting
- Ban on plastic bags proposed for Tybee Island
- Police arrest ex-boyfriend of burned Ga. woman
- Police: metro Atlanta inmate escapes work detail
- Gold nugget found in California finds secret buyer
- Dallas nurse who survived Ebola must wait for dog
- Hawaii officials warn of possible lava evacuation
- Darrell Wallace Jr. wins at Martinsville again
- Health care worker criticizes quarantine process
- Yosemite rangers try to keep hungry bears at bay
- Correction: US-United States-Iraq-US Death story
- US journalist says body was 'at war' with Ebola
- 3 in critical condition, 1 serious after deadly school shooting
- Custom urns courtesy of company's 3-D printer
- Iran hangs woman for killing alleged rapist
- Top Israeli minister: 'crisis' in US relationship
- Nanny of Venezuelan ex-minister arrested in Brazil
- Opposition rejects Mozambique's election results
- Mussolini air raid shelter opens to tourists
- Suicide attack kills 8 Shiite militiamen in Iraq
- Extremists shell northern Syrian town
- Ukraine pauses before decisive vote
- Number of Islamic extremists growing in Germany
- Expert: 8,000 more Rohingya flee Myanmar
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!