Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at email@example.com for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Tennessee man pleads guilty to defrauding northwest Ga. bank
- Anime, videogame fans gather for Atlanta convention
- Ala. federal judge arrested last year to resign from bench
- Ga. state patrol: Teen dancing in road caused serious crash
- Ga. deputy accidentally shot during training exercise
- Officials vote to fire Ga. teacher accused of allowing sex
- Teen charged as an adult in school bus shooting
- Ga. man sentenced for unemployment fraud
- Anheuser-Busch producing canned water for flood victims
- GBI probing deadly police shooting in Carrollton
- Study sees benefit from more extensive breast cancer surgery
- Sharpton tells Cleveland to stay peaceful, keep fighting
- Correction: 10 Things to Know-Friday story
- Pentagon says live anthrax shipments went to 24 labs in 11 states, 2 foreign countries
- Hurricane Andres strengthens far off coast of Mexico
- Latest on flooding: Homes ordered evacuated in SE Texas city
- California beaches reopen after goo cleanup
CHICAGO (AP) -- Former Illinois Congressman Aaron Schock has reimbursed the U.S. government for the cost of auto mileage, office redecoration and a flight to Chicago Bears game.
- Latest on flooding: Texas guv ask for disaster declaration
- Officials say those Boston snow piles are even more vile
- Report: Ex-Georgian leader named governor of Ukraine region
- Heat wave eases in India after killing nearly 2,000 people
- Italy: 4,200 more migrants saved off Libya's coasts, 17 die
- Activists say Syrian army strikes kill 45 people in Aleppo
- US, Iran accelerate nuclear talks a month before deadline
- Pashtuns refuse to bury dead from Pakistan bus hijackings
- 15 wounded in 2 explosions in restive southern Philippines
- Pentagon chief criticizes Beijing's South China Sea moves
- Interpol: Islamic State group gains support in Africa, Asia
- Mexico: Shootout in Baja California Sur kills 2 suspects
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!