Tonight: Scattered evening t-showers, then a better chance of showers and storms late tonight. Lows near 70.
Thursday: ... More...
Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Crews clearing out Savannah homeless camps
- Daycare won't appeal revocation of license
- Tropical depression approaching Lesser Antilles
- DeKalb District Attorney to receive national honor
- With GOP runoff over, Perdue and Nunn face off
- Ga. group to address jail gangs, contraband
- Ga. lottery turns 21, launches Kia promotion
- Close race in GOP runoff for Ga. schools post
- Wilson wins Dem primary for Ga. superintendent
- Carter wins GOP runoff for Kingston's House seat
- Porch shooter's lawyer says he feared for his life
- 1 dead, 2 injured by SW Fla. lightning strike
- Officials probe fire at North Dakota company
- 4-day Comic Con festival kicks off in San Diego
- Veteran says he was forgotten in VA clinic
- 2 police cars collide when officer runs red light
- Jury to reconvene in Ventura defamation case
- Opening statements set in porch shooting trial
- Study: Many heavy kids think they're normal weight
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's victims
- UN rights chief warns of possible Gaza war crimes
- Report: Plane crashes in Taiwan, killing 51 people
- Somali lawmaker shot dead in drive-by shooting
- Abu Sayyaf militants free anti-poverty workers
- Americans aplenty as UK's Booker Prize goes global
- UN rights chief: Strong possibility of Gaza crimes
- School head arrested in India after girl, 6, raped
- Kerry cites progress in Gaza cease-fire talks
- Typhoon weakens after landing in southeast China
- Bodies of 1st crash victims leave Ukraine
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Health and Beauty
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!