Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Savannah police investigating shooting, crash
- FAA inspector charged with dodging security; caught with gun
- Man shot in chest in Macon
- Funerals for 2 Georgia Southern students killed in crash
- Man found stabbed to death in Roswell
- Atlanta developer plans to add 6 stories to high rise
- Interstate 285 reopened after charter-bus accident
- 7-foot bear breaks out of Ellijay garage
- Uber, Lyft refuse to require driver fingerprints
- Severe weather expected across the Southeast
- Autopsy: Indiana University student died from head injuries
- Nephew killed as people gather for homicide victim's funeral
- US sending disaster response team, $1 million aid to Nepal
- Angst about Iran deal at GOP Jewish meeting
- Mother in custody dispute freed after 8 years behind bars
- How London man may have helped trigger the 'flash crash'
- NYC's famed Carnegie Deli closed over gas line issue
- The Latest: Several hundred march through West Baltimore
- The Latest: Large crowds expected for Freddie Gray protest
- 'Operation Babylift' kids, soldiers reunite 40 years later
- Sweden: 2 Swedish hostages released in Syria
- UN chief appeals to Indonesia to stop planned executions
- Volcano still active, but Chile no longer expects 3rd blast
- UN chief names new head of Ebola mission as outbreak calms
- UN chief appoints new Yemen special envoy
- Burundi president nominated for third term
- Aden hit by coalition airstrikes amid fierce street battles
- Spain activates alert as oil spill threatens Canary Islands
- Jailed Venezuelan mayor transferred from prison to hospital
- Turkey's Erdogan slams nations recognizing Armenian genocide
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!