Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Investigator: 28 forged docs in registration probe
- GA medical center giving free take-home drug tests
- Sale of Rogers' Rangers New York site is completed
- Searchers look for plane in southeast Ala
- Teen accused of bringing gun into school cafeteria
- Savannah considers heat rules for carriage horses
- Man convicted of 1998 killing dies in prison
- UGA to draft preservation plan for school property
- Man found dead in suspicious fire south of Atlanta
- UGA garden to host Shakespeare's plants lecture
- Obama praises House vote on arming Syrian rebels
- Man charged in vandalism at congressman's office
- Sheriff: Burned armpit hair led to Idaho car crash
- Jury picked for Detroit officer who shot girl
- Police: Video shows man used banana to rob store
- Police reportedly close to solving 1975 case
- Texas woman set to die for starvation of child, 9
- Prosecutors unite nationwide to fight gun violence
- House Roll Call: Syrian rebels training
- Air Force: 'So help me God' in oath is optional
- Arrests made in Australian counterterrorism raids
- Israeli rising star quits politics
- Ukraine's president addresses Canadian Parliament
- More civilian deaths in eastern Ukraine
- UN: Syrian militants kept weapons of Fijian troops
- 2 bombings kill at least 11 in Iraq
- Top Saudi clerics issue edict against terrorism
- UN says building materials to Gaza may quadruple
- Japan seeks backing for whaling despite UN ruling
- Nigerian preacher faces scrutiny after disaster
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!