Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. man sentenced in embezzlement from Grady Hospital
- Police: Detective fatally shot in 'ambush' outside Atlanta
- GA man sentenced in DUI crash that killed wife after wedding
- Deputy shoots, wounds man in central Georgia
- Man faces murder charge in killing of taxi driver's son
- Sleet, freezing rain possible in north Georgia
- Fulton County police officer shot and killed in line of duty
- Georgia attorney general to launch food drive competition
- Man killed in confrontation with police detectives
- Lawyers: Georgia waffles on execution with cloudy drug
- Veterinarian detained in East Timor returns to Oregon
- US finds racist, profit-driven practices in Ferguson
- Autopsy fails to pinpoint death cause for Oregon baby in car
- Second Los Angeles hospital reports 'superbug' infections
- 10 Things to Know for Thursday
- Fire at Oregon mobile home kills 3
- Firefighters rescue dog trapped in gap between walls
- TV crew confronted on LA's Skid Row; 1 arrested
- Teacher jailed for showing high school class violent movie
- Jury deliberations end for day in Jodi Arias case
- Death toll in east Ukraine mine blast reaches 32
- Kerry in Saudi Arabia to talk Iran, Yemen instability
- Myanmar police drag away protesting factory workers
- Iranian special operatives free diplomat abducted in Yemen
- After Ebola ban, N. Korea opens marathon to foreigners
- Maduro rejects speculation he..ll suspend Venezuela elections
- Dominican Republic temporarily closes consulates in Haiti
- Effort set to recover body found on Mexico's highest peak
- Chemical fire at Vancouver's port prompts evacuation
- Australia offers Indonesia prisoner swap to stop executions
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!