Tonight: A fair sky and still comfortable with an overnight low in the mid/upper 60s.
Thursday: Sunny to partly sunny. A little more humid ... More...
Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- County eyes changes in tattoo, body piercing rules
- Police say dispute over cellphone led to killing
- Cobb County OKs budget with increase for police
- Wildlife officials monitor disease found in snake
- Asphalt, supplies unaccounted for in Atlanta audit
- Additional arrests made in death of Georgia teen
- GA man sentenced to life plus 20 years in shooting
- Man sentenced in death of GSU soccer player
- Charges filed against ex-county official in Ga.
- Jury chosen in buttocks injection death trial
- 2 rescued from disabled boat 2 miles from falls
- Southern California beach community sees flooding
- Driver charged in market crash denied lower bail
- Lawyers for mother of autistic girl want off case
- 2 rescued from disabled boat near brink of falls
- Bound bodies of 2 found in Pa. river; 3rd hurt
- Dispatcher faces discipline over response to call
- APNewsBreak: Jindal suing feds over Common Core
- Journalist killing highlights role of freelancers
- Former Va. governor wraps up his trial testimony
- 3rd doctor dies from Ebola in Sierra Leone
- Earthquakes rock Iceland volcano
- Libya ministers resign over militia fighting
- Report: Iran redesigning reactor as part of deal
- Syrian rebels seize border crossing with Israel
- 3 playful lion cubs debut at Johannesburg Zoo
- Germany plans to tighten EU migration rules
- Experts find 283 DNA samples from MH17 site
- UN panel: Crimes against humanity spread in Syria
- North Korea calls US 'graveyard of human rights'
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!