Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at email@example.com for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. man sentenced in shooting death of 23-month-old grandson
- Teens arrested in theft of restaurant's sweet tea dispenser
- Waycross woman struck and killed by train
- Augusta aims to expand its herd of grass-gobbling goats
- Georgians to visit New York as part of crime-fighting plan
- TSU program exposes students to cutting-edge research
- Firefighters rescue puppy from 75-foot well north of Atlanta
- 2 men killed in pair of Fourth of July shootings in Columbus
- Man drowns in Chattahoochee River northwest of Atlanta
- Girl, 16, killed by stray bullet that enters her home
- Satanic Temple sees Arkansas as possible monument location
- Mom of man who died in fireworks accident says rules too lax
- Spacecraft closing in on Pluto hits speed bump, but recovers
- Deadly weekend in Chicago highlights city's gang warfare
- Obama: Fight against IS progressing, but still a long slog
- Beautiful Vermont swimming hole takes another life
- Grizzly bear shatters barrier at Minnesota Zoo
- Man charged with threatening Obama's life in online post
- Search for missing California baby enters fifth day
- Lawmakers reject amendment that would put flag to a public vote
- 2 migrants die in truck crash in southern Mexico
- The Latest: Pope Francis meets with Jesuit priest in Ecuador
- 1 dead, 2 taken to hospital after ammonia leak in Ontario
- Quebec marks anniversary of rail disaster that killed 47
- The Latest: Pope Francis visits Jesuit-run school in Ecuador
- Mali extremist traded for French hostage killed in attack
- Thousands evacuate as wildfires burn in west Canada
- The Latest: Flags from many nations seen during pope visit
- The Latest: Pope focuses homily on family in Ecuador
- Mexico rescues 12 Cubans from makeshift raft
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!