Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police: Gunman attacks teacher on her way to school
- Rascal Flatts to headline Rock 'n' Roll Savannah Marathon
- Police suspend search of wells for teen missing since 2007
- Police investigate killing of man south of Atlanta
- Water park set to open in North Augusta next year
- Soldier charged in the death of fellow soldier in home
- Police's mobile app hopes to assist during holiday weekend
- New president chosen for Southeastern Technical College
- Georgia releases first results of new standardized test
- Man shot to death while visiting friends in Atlanta
- LL Bean stores in Freeport to close for leader's memorial
- Review cites problems at Texas hospital during Ebola crisis
- Gang member sentenced to death in soccer tournament shooting
- New Hampshire town celebrates notable '65 UFO sighting
- Deaths of family after Jersey shore fire were murder-suicide
- Missing comma means certain records are off-limits
- The Latest on a Marine helicopter accident that killed 1
- Court calls man's prison term of up to 216 years 'excessive'
- The Latest: Jailed clerk's husband says she won't resign
- AM Prep-Kickers
- Thai court sentences 4 to life in prison over rally attack
- Fire in Greek psychiatric hospital leaves 3 dead
- Supporters of Christian Lebanese leader protest in Beirut
- 4 men plead guilty in major London jewel heist over Easter
- Sinai peacekeeping official says force attacked in white car
- The Latest: More migrants rescued from sea off Greece
- Spanish train drivers go on strike but impact appears muted
- Denmark: ex-PM candidates for UN refugee agency top job
- The Latest: British leader pledges more help for migrants
- South Africa's Nobel laureate Desmond Tutu leaves hospital
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!