Tonight: Windy and cold through the night with occasional snow showers and flurries. Light accumulation local mountains. An overnight low in the low/mid 30s. A north wind at 15-25mph and gusty. Significant accumulation at higher peaks of Blue Ridge & Smokies ... More...
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Clinton: Ga. Senate race vote on promise of future
- Old DeKalb County jail burns again
- Jury deliberations begin in band hazing trial
- Clinton: Ga. Senate race about 'growing together'
- Ashes from Ebola victim's apartment in limbo
- Woman who set off pipe bombs appears before judge
- Police search for suspect after high-speed chase
- Freeze watch issued in north Georgia
- Early voting deadline quickly approaching
- Ex-Ga. store owner sentenced in WIC voucher fraud
- Lake Michigan waves slam Chicago lakeshore
- NYC worker suspended for using 'robotic voice'
- Girl barred over Ebola fears returns to school
- 88-year-old Missouri man charged with killing wife
- $13.5M award in Jehovah's Witnesses molest case
- Hospital: Girl, 14, dies after school shooting
- Police make arrest in slayings of 4 in Kentucky
- Don't forget to set your clocks back
- Superheroes, hazmat suits in NY Halloween parade
- A look at people killed during space missions
- China experimental moon orbiter returns
- Ecuador top court endorses re-election for Correa
- UN expresses 'deep outrage' at Islamic State group
- UN resolution urges Myanmar to drop identity plan
- Cyclists kidnapped, ransomed near Mexico City
- Suspected ETA member arrested in Germany
- Canada restricts visas amid Ebola scare
- Gentiloni named new foreign minister of Italy
- Head of UK sex-abuse inquiry quits
- Canadian gets life sentence in Mounties shootings
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!