Today: Partly cloudy and warm. Highs in the low to middle 80s. North wind 5-10 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with a low in the lower 60s.
Highs in the mid 80s the rest of the work week. Rain chances increase ... More...
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- New editor chosen to lead Valdosta Daily Times
- GA woman dies after car sinks in retention pond
- Emory-Adventist Hospital to close in October
- Bibb Co. deputy facing child molestation charges
- NTSB releases report in fatal east Ga. plane crash
- Braves announce mixed-used site development team
- Jurors told salmonella trial may exceed 2 months
- Woman found badly beaten on Silver Comet Trail
- Minnesota robbery suspect arrested in Georgia
- Car plunges into pond; divers search for person
- Hearing set for Hollywood sex abuse lawyer change
- Minnesota officer killed making traffic stop
- Peace Corps workers isolated after Ebola exposure
- Pipe break that flooded UCLA dumps 20M gallons
- Researchers: World Trade Center ship dates to 1773
- War college to decide on US senator's punishment
- Japanese search US archives for WWII MIA info
- Teen pleads guilty in 1 World Trade Center climb
- Foster parent charged with murder in hot car death
- 3 people killed, 3 deputies wounded in NC shootout
- Australians leaders differ on Russian role in war
- 32 nations back Judaism's Yom Kippur as UN holiday
- Bolivia to require visas for Israeli travelers
- Tunisia army chief resigns after soldier deaths
- Liberia's president closes schools amid Ebola
- UN chief condemns attack on UN school in Gaza
- Turkish women protest deputy PMs no laughter quip
- Vatican taking action in divisive Paraguay diocese
- Crop circle in Germany attracts many visitors
- Iraq offers aid to those displaced by militants
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!