CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man shot and killed in Atlanta suburb of Lithonia
- Police identify man shot near Underground Atlanta
- Man stabbed after opening door to his hotel room in Augusta
- Man working on car along road struck, killed by vehicle
- Man faces murder charges after gun fires, striking toddler
- Legislators dub 2015 General Assembly 'year of the child'
- Hall County graduates record number of female firefighters
- Final service for Presbyterian church in Lexington
- Marietta schools superintendent proposes teacher raises
- Man shot in downtown Atlanta parking deck
- Arizona girl dies after swing set breaks suddenly
- Ex-US Rep. Inglis gets JFK courage award for climate stance
- Woman, toddler killed when car hits apartment complex
- Kayaker rescues man who jumped off bridge in suicide attempt
- SC Police stations act as havens for online buyers, sellers
- Touching, funny, messages in obits getting wide audience
- Joyful noise or unholy din? New church 'bells' mean discord
- Troubled forecasters seek way to improve tornado warnings
- Rare all-female team perseveres in Volvo Ocean Race
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US opener of all time
- Rebels kill 8 Indian paramilitary soldiers
- Freed Nigerian captives tell of harrowing experiences
- Small group of nationalist Russian bikers enters Germany
- Spain premier makes visit to 2 west African countries
- Egypt charges 40 over allegedly being Islamic State members
- Memorial to slain French Jewish man vandalized
- John Kerry tries to pacify Israeli worries over Iran deal
- Togo court declares president re-elected from final results
- British leaders in final push before May 7 election
- Congressmen to reconsider separate funding for Iraq factions
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!