CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Residents of senior center displaced after water main break
- Peach State gears up for a rare big week for men's hoops
- Man struck and killed by vehicle in suburban Atlanta
- Man killed, second man hurt in Waynesboro shooting, stabbing
- After weather delay, GA to perform rare execution of a woman
- Woman killed in wrong-way interstate wreck is identified
- Savannah police investigating death of Colombian man
- Governor staff raises exceed those for teachers, others
- Muscogee schools, CSU partner on science, math, tech program
- No charges for lobbyist who brought gun to Capitol
- Israeli PM in US for controversial speech
- Suspect in fatal Los Angeles street race held on $2M bail
- Obama plans trip to South Carolina, 48th state in office
- Pickup truck goes into frozen river; dead dog found inside
- New York City mayor marches in gay pre-St. Patrick's parade
- 3rd child dies after carbon monoxide leak in Ohio home
- High-speed drive lands Marine in jail; struck bike officer
- Rare Native American pendant found as crew digs Ohio trench
- 1 killed, 5 wounded in shooting at Detroit social hall
- House Speaker John Boehner: I like my job `most days'
- Greece protests planned Turkish air maneuvers in Aegean Sea
- Estonians vote in parliamentary election amid security fears
- Israeli military conducts 'surprise' drill in West Bank
- US officials called 'terrorists' mock Venezuela travel ban
- Russia detains Ukrainian parliament member over Odessa fire
- Popular Peru ex-minister charged in killing of journalist
- Italy resumes Navy exercise amid new tensions over Libya
- Elegant Vazquez replaces folksy Mujica as Uruguay president
- Party of Lesotho's prime minister ahead in election results
- Coalition balks at signing peace accord for northern Mali
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!