Tonight: A clearing sky and more comfortable with a low in the mid/upper 60s. A light north wind.
Friday: Sunny and a little less humid. Hot, with an afternoon high in the upper 80s to near 90. A west wind at 5-10mph. An isolated ... More...
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man injured in Sandy Springs apartment shooting
- Ga. governor chides president over young migrants
- Teen's complaint seeks schooling during pregnancy
- Ga. investigated complaint against Dalton plant
- Ga. teen sues for in-home classes during pregnancy
- Casino company offers apology after boat got stuck
- Construction worker dies after falling from tower
- Georgia releases student growth tool
- Witnesses to plane crash give differing accounts
- Bus stranded after mechanical woes, driver illness
- Deliberations in Ventura trial to enter Day 4
- Doctor describes Pennsylvania hospital shooting
- Navy secretary says combat ship costs will decline
- Talks may lead to pause in Gaza fighting, UN school in Gaza attacked
- White House: Obama offers Netherlands condolences
- Cuban hijacker appeals 20-year US prison sentence
- 2 women convicted of deadly OC nightclub beating
- Alaska train to resume service after cars derail
- Man says he shot burglar who said she was pregnant
- Phoenix breaks temperature with record high of 116
- Black boxes from Taiwan air crash investigated
- Chicken off McDonald's HK menu after food scandal
- S.Korea lab fails to find out how ferry owner died
- Australian reporter imprisoned in Egypt to appeal
- Witness: Teen's plane didn't show obvious distress
- UN urges quick implementation of CAR cease-fire
- 6 to stand trial in group home case in Mexico
- Trinidad pair cleared of caging protected animals
- 3 charged in Nicaragua bus attacks that killed 5
- Uruguay leader thirsty for Paraguay's yerba mate
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!