Tonight: A fair to partly cloudy sky with an overnight low in the upper 60s.
Friday: Sunny to partly sunny and still hot with an afternoon high in the lower 90s. A south wind at 5-10mph.
Friday Night: Partly cloudy and muggy ... More...
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Atlanta police officer arrested in woman's death
- Little Richard not hurt in Tennessee car accident
- Rideshare company comes to Ala., Ga. college towns
- Second person arrested in taxi driver's death
- Family sues East Point after death in custody
- City moves ahead on benefits for same-sex couples
- Woman gives birth inside Walmart near Atlanta
- Sheriff's captain accused of crimes involving teen
- Ga. lane closures to be lifted for holiday weekend
- Atlanta Audubon Society plans tour
- Plane stowaway arrested in Phoenix says she's ill
- Obama taps veteran diplomat to be Afghan envoy
- Wife of Maryland U.S. Rep. Andy Harris dies
- Police: Man rams car into SC assisted living home
- 2 California counties ask to form separate state
- Museum to display 6,500-year-old human skeleton
- High school buddies followed similar path to jihad
- Flight diverts to Boston over reclined-seat upset
- Murder charge for child care worker in boy's death
- Wyoming sheriff says pastor actually shot himself
- North Korea says no cheerleaders for Asian Games
- Asian tourists injured in Canada bus crash
- Russia replies to Canada's colorful map tweet
- Ranger in Africa's oldest park wounded by grenade
- Jamaica agriculture minister dies in Florida
- Russia defends actions in Ukraine
- Dominican gov't slow to issue permits to migrants
- Pakistan army chief to mediate political crisis
- Egypt militants post beheading video
- Pope removes key Benedict XVI protege
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!