Tonight: A fair sky and comfortable with an overnight low near 60 (50s away from the city)
Friday: Partly to mostly sunny with ... More...
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Candidates for Ga. governor spar over jobless rate
- Police dog missing since manhunt is found alive
- Man found shot to death in driveway of home
- Georgia's jobless rate rises to 8.1 percent
- 3 Fantasy 5 players win $73,862.46 jackpots
- Florida Lotto jackpot rises to $27 million
- Jury won't consider deaths in Ga. salmonella trial
- Zoo Atlanta offering Pre-K discount
- Investigator: 28 forged docs in registration probe
- GA medical center giving free take-home drug tests
- Teacher hurt in crash blames rancher in standoff
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- White House orders plan for antibiotic resistance
- Funeral for Utah man shot by police
- Jury resumes deliberations in Ga. salmonella trial
- Jury hears arguments in terror finance trial
- Judge doubts Oklahoma ready for Nov. 13 execution
- Stabbing injures student, Texas school evacuated
- Bear killed near eastern Oregon school
- NOAA: Yet more global heat records fall in August
- Belgium arrests Liberian ex-rebel commander
- France dismisses accusations it pays ransoms
- Roadside bombs kills 4 UN peacekeepers in Mali
- Greece: March to honor slain rapper turns violent
- Israeli museum unveils ancient Jewish prayer book
- British hostage appears in new video
- Scots decide whether to declare independence
- Islamic State fighters capture 21 Kurdish villages in northern Syria near Turkish border
- Turkey says it plans to stop flow of IS fighters
- NATO to fast-track rapid-reaction force
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!