Tonight: Clear and chilly with an overnight low in the city near 40. 30s away from the city.
Thursday: Sunny and ... More...
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Rome leaders consider trail to link area colleges
- Georgia man gets 7 years in Texas weapons case
- Man charged with assault when online romance sours
- Woman, 61, killed in Kennesaw house fire
- Hallway brawls prompt new security at Ga. school
- Atlanta unveiling new customer service program
- Drone operation course to be offered at GA school
- Elections official to participate in Emory event
- Body of eastern Georgia teen found in wooded area
- Furniture retailer building west Georgia facility
- Site work starts for new Sandy Hook School
- Government to announce Social Security COLA
- Klain meets with Obama on first day as Ebola czar
- Judge reviews mental state of stabbing suspect, 12
- Gov't seeks supplies for immigration documents
- Ebola airport checks expand; nurses get training
- Guns, Giffords play big role in Arizona House race
- US journalist to head home after Ebola recovery
- Indiana man was violent long before 7 killings
- Ebola victim's sister says hospital denied request
- UK man faked coma for 2 years to avoid court
- Sweden scales back submarine hunt
- 2 Israeli troops wounded by gunfire from Egypt
- Nigeria truce is shaky, no news of abducted girls
- Pistorius spends first night in single jail cell
- Sweden raises estimate of foreign fighters
- Father of UK hostage dies after appeal to save son
- Kerry: US Congress important to Iran negotiations
- Japan to send officials to North Korea next week
- Sweden closes probe into 2010 suicide bombing
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!