CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. man sentenced for shooting at fishermen's boat
- Smyrna police offering business owners escort program
- Ga. man sentenced in shooting death of 23-month-old grandson
- Teens arrested in theft of restaurant's sweet tea dispenser
- Waycross woman struck and killed by train
- Augusta aims to expand its herd of grass-gobbling goats
- Georgians to visit New York as part of crime-fighting plan
- TSU program exposes students to cutting-edge research
- Firefighters rescue puppy from 75-foot well north of Atlanta
- 2 men killed in pair of Fourth of July shootings in Columbus
- Vietnam Communist Party chief to visit Obama at White House
- Gay wedding cake at center of Colorado Appeals Court case
- After legal fight, public path to 'Billionaires' Beach' open
- California right-to-die bill struggling ahead of key vote
- Southwest Airlines: Blown tire forces return to airport
- Police: Body found in Ohio River likely capsized boat victim
- Buffalo mayor signs bill renaming Squaw Island
- Sheriff: 1 dead, 4 injured in Washington ice cave collapse
- Peterson returns to court in murder-for-hire trial
- New Orleans officer arrested for obstruction of justice
- Spain: Police arrest woman for recruiting young girls for IS
- 1 person gored in 1st bull-run of Pamplona festival
- World's oldest man dies in Japan at the age of 112
- China opens exhibition to mark the war victory over Japan
- The Latest: Pope's rustic staff is replica of previous 1
- Student activists in Thailand go before military court
- The Latest: Pope's rustic staff is replica of previous one
- The Latest: President surprises pope with big reception line
- Venezuela recalls Guyana ambassador for consultation
- Mexican teachers shear hair of those who show up for exam
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!