Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid 40s.
Saturday: Sunny to partly sunny and warmer through the afternoon with a high in the mid 70s.
Saturday Night: A fair sky with a low in the low 50s (40s ... More...
Chattanooga Zoo Welcomes New Residents
The Chattanooga Zoo announced the arrival of three Black-crested Mangabeys to their new home in Gombe Forest. Two females, Roxie and Suzy, and one male, Sam, were rescued from the illegal meat trade in Congo, Africa and sent to the United States for safe haven. After spending a few years at the San Antonio Zoo, these primates have found a home at the Chattanooga Zoo.
“All of us here at the Zoo feel privileged to provide a home for these highly endangered primates,” notes Darde Long, Zoo Executive Director. “We hope their story will inspire everyone to get involved with and support animal conservation efforts both here and abroad”.
In recent years, the hunting of primates such as Black-crested Mangabeys has reached epic proportions in parts of Africa. Mangabeys are hunted for their meat which is then sold illegally on the black market, creating what many conservationists refer to as the “bushmeat phenomenon”.
Roxie, Sam and Suzy are adjusting well to their new home in Chattanooga. Zoo staff looks forward to warmer spring weather which will allow the Mangabeys to alternate exhibit space with their neighbors, the Chimpanzees.
Chattanooga Zoo Welcomes New Residents
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Woman at Ga. homeless camp wounded in knife attack
- Police: Mom, infant rescued from Savannah river
- Hacker gets prison for cyberattack stealing $9.4M
- Emory confirms Ebola no longer detected in nurse
- Emory: Tests no longer detect Ebola virus in nurse
- Ala court voids same-sex child visitation order
- Va. man wanted in fatal shooting caught in Georgia
- 150 students at Ga. school to be tested for TB
- Body in burned car identified as Atlanta woman
- Georgia probate judge guilty of embezzlement
- Report: No escape charges for Ohio school shooter
- Marathon suspect's lawyers again cite media leaks
- NYC police commissioner: Hatchet attack was terror
- Shooter, 1 other student killed in school gunfire
- Poll: 2 of 3 Americans say IS threat is important
- Doctor said to be 'relatively stable'
- Boston mayor vetoes $20,000 city council pay raise
- ZeekRewards founder charged in $850 million scam
- Le Minh Thai, Vietnam War photographer, dies
- California sheriff's deputy, carjack victim shot
- Mozambique's ruling party wins presidential race
- Nurse: Toddler who brought Ebola to Mali dies
- Putin accuses US of undermining global stability
- Dominican Republic rejects int'l court decision
- Muslim leaders say gunman was critical of mosque
- Aid group: No need to isolate staff treating Ebola
- Italian court acquits Dolce&Gabbana in tax case
- 4 consulates get suspicious packages in Turkey
- WHO: Mali case may have infected many people
- Cholera sickens nearly 1,000 people in Niger
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!