Saturday: A mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon high in the upper 60s and even near 70 in spots. A southwest wind at 10mph.
Saturday Night: Cloudy and dry during the evening. Some light rain possible late in the night and toward daybreak. Expect ... More...
Chattanooga Zoo Hosts Hellbender Symposium
The Chattanooga Zoo is partnering with Lee University and the Nashville Zoo to host the 6th Biennial Hellbender Symposium. The four-day conference will take place from June 24 – June 27th at the Chattanooga Zoo. Over 85 researchers, zoologists, scientists, biologists and conservationists worldwide will gather together to share vital data, network and collaborate in hopes of preventing the extinction of the Hellbender Salamander. For two days conference attendees will attend breakout sessions covering topics such as Genetics, Disease and Stressors, Habitat Conservation and more. One conference day will be spent conducting field research in nearby streams and rivers.
Dr. Michael Freake Associate Professor of Biology at Lee University and leading expert in Hellbender research notes how, “protecting and restoring hellbenders requires a collaborative, multifaceted approach involving expertise in areas like ecology, genetics, disease, and captive breeding. As such, this conference is vital in bringing the parties together and producing fruitful partnerships.”
“All of us here at the Chattanooga Zoo are thrilled to be chosen to host such a needed scientific and conservation forum” says Darde Long, CEO. “We could not do this without the help of our many generous sponsors.”
Chattanooga Zoo Hosts Hellbender Symposium
Wednesday, June 12 2013, 06:21 PM EDT
Photo Courtesy of National Geographic photographer, Joel Sartore
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. church holds final service before demolition
- Boy killed in south Georgia house fire
- Ga. child fatality review panels falling short
- 2 killed in southeast Atlanta home invasion
- Ga. eyeing recruitment at annual tech, media fest
- NW Georgia town eyes drone to film celebration
- Forum on human trafficking planned for Lithonia
- Law officers make arrests after Augusta shooting
- NTSB: Police chopper too low, likely causing crash
- FBI seeks suspects in South Georgia bank robbery
- 10 Things to Know for Monday
- Immigration detainees continue hunger strike
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- NC power outages at about 78,000 after storm
- Selma honors anniversary of 'Bloody Sunday'
- 2 dozen injured as school stage falls
- Obama returns to White House after Fla. vacation
- UMass latest to deal with rowdy St. Pat's parties
- WWII veteran receives Purple Heart 70 years later
- Biden cuts trip short to meet with Ukraine leader
- New Zealand sets elections for Sept. 20
- Syrian rebels release nuns held since December
- 5.8-magnitude earthquake rattles southern Mexico
- Mexico government is 100 pct that drug capo killed
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Haiti's new cardinal celebrates first Mass
- British yachtsman rescued by Chile's navy
- Mexico govt says it's slain capo 'killed' in 2010
- Attacks kill more than 40
- Officials examine footage in effort to identify 2 who boarded with stolen passports
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Stories of HonorCelebrate black history all February long with Stories of Honor, sponsored by the Tennessee Lottery.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!