Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- TSA urging holiday weekend travelers to plan ahead
- Death of middle Georgia girl ruled homicide
- Georgia trooper shoots traveler after I-75 speeding stop
- Suspected Jacksonville bus shooter arrested in Georgia
- Georgia man with gun turns tables on carjacking suspect
- Extra security, protest planned for graduation in Valdosta
- Prosecutor to seek indictment in jail death of Savannah man
- Macon woman's index finger bitten off during fight
- Arrest made in 2012 slaying of Augusta security guard
- Atlanta man dies after being shot in leg during argument
- Hundreds mourn NYC college dean killed in Amtrak crash
- Naked Florida man rescued after getting stuck on drawbridge
- The Latest on Waco shooting: Biker group gets proclamation
- Man released from Guantanamo in December dies in Kazakhstan
- Oil shouldn't spoil vacations for California beach tourists
- Man convicted of killing ex-wife whose 911 call was bungled
- Strangulation of child with blinds cord ruled a homicide
- Navy says pilot safely ejected when plane went off runway
- Attorneys: Probe faults truck driver in fatal bus collision
- Busy Las Vegas highway ramp to reopen Friday afternoon after quake 100 miles away
- Colombian paramilitary warlord wanted in US freed from jail
- 2 dead in grenade explosion in Burundi market
- Mexico officials: Bacterial infections sickened children
- US rejects nuclear disarmament document over Israel concerns
- Cartel surveillance cameras found in Mexican border city
- Series of knife attacks has Rio de Janeiro on edge
- Romanian ex-mayor sentenced to prison for real estate deals
- EU chief Juncker calls Hungary's Orban 'dictator' -- in jest
- UK tabloid reporter found guilty in bribery case
- Currency tumbles as Venezuelans look to offload bolivars
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!