Monday: Isolated showers ending early then partly cloudy and warmer with highs in the 60s.
Gradually cooler Tuesday and Wednesday with highs ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Tornado warning issued in central Georgia
- Boy dies after being hit by car in Alabama
- 12-year-old boy fatally shot in Savannah
- Forecasters warn of heavy rain, damaging wind in Georgia
- State details project list of affordable housing
- Atlanta's Fernbank Museum set to expand
- EPA proposes plan to clean contaminated Ga. marshland
- GA lawmaker wants schools to go digital by 2020
- Mourners gather to remember ex-Gov. Sanders
- Body of missing Georgia man found in NC
- Former DC Mayor Marion Barry dies at 78
- Veteran journalist, educator Michael Shanahan dies
- Joey Chestnut devours turkey to win eating contest
- DA to dismiss ticket in wreck that killed family
- San Jose police arrest man after airport chase
- Admiral denies role in counterfeiting casino chips
- Rhodes scholars for class of 2015 announced
- Evacuation plans readied as Buffalo flooding looms
- Governor says evacuation, shelter plans being made in case of flooding
- Thruway fully open after western NY snow cleared
- Crew blasts off for International Space Station
- Burkina Faso military gets key posts in Cabinet
- Tunisia polls give ex-regime figure the edge
- Evacuations in Cape Verde after volcano erupts
- Muslim clerics meet in Iran to counter extremists
- Iran releases British-Iranian woman on bail
- Tunisians hold landmark presidential election
- Nigeria: Dozens dead in suspected extremist attack
- Egypt willing to send troops to future Palestine
- Kenya's deputy president condemns extremist attack
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!