Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Bill allowing third-party lending for solar panels to Deal
- Deal signs order requiring readiness for marijuana law
- Police: Hammer-wielding intruder shot dead inside Macon home
- Baseball kills Valdosta high school athlete hit during game
- Navy sub sailor waives hearing on charges he recorded women
- 2 charged with killing deer that mingled with farmer's cows
- Tybee Island weighs smoking ban for largest Ga. public beach
- UGA to offer music education online degree program
- Reed seeks to have former fire chief's lawsuit dismissed
- Georgia religious freedom bill stalls in House committee
- Oil council: Shale won't last, Arctic drilling needed now
- Mom to murderer: You're 'going straight to hell'
- Couple accused of locking teen in basement
- Mannequins by designer Ralph Pucci fill NYC exhibition
- Reid backs Schumer to succeed him as leader
- Ethics panel steps up inquiry of Kentucky Rep. Whitfield
- Saudis 'very pleased' with US support for Yemen air campaign
- Texas interstate reopens after deadly tractor-trailer wreck
- College Board sets Friday meeting in Mississippi
- University of Mississippi College Board sets Friday meeting
- Official: 1,500 North Caucasus people fight in Iraq, Syria
- Ukraine rebels hand over bodies of 22 govt soldiers
- Israel indicts Golan Druse on suspicion of spying for Syria
- Spain's 2014 budget deficit below that set by EU
- Israel to stop withholding Palestinian tax revenues
- Cambodian tribunal charges another Khmer Rouge suspect
- EU weighs new methods to coax Israel back to peace talks
- Prosecutors: Lubitz tore up doctor's notes excusing him from work on day of crash
- France: Talks to start within days on UN draft on Israel
- Ferry that ran aground off Greek island still stranded
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!