Today: Partly sunny and breezy. Highs in the middle 80s with wind from the Northwest 10-20 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows in the low to mid 60s.
Mostly clear skies for Tuesday through Wednesday with ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ports Authority reaches 3 million container mark
- Atlanta federal building reopens
- Man drowns at Lake Allatoona northwest of Atlanta
- Small plane crash on Fla. beach; 2 on ground hit
- 3 wounded by gunfire in Savannah shooting
- Pilot killed in NE Georgia plane crash identified
- 4 kids hurt when car rolls down driveway
- Trial in salmonella outbreak set to begin in Ga.
- Atlanta federal building to reopen Monday
- Six Flags hosting 'Fright Fest' recruitment event
- Porch shooter back in court as trial resumes
- NYC mayor moves into historic Gracie Mansion
- Report says surveillance hampering journalists
- 2 questioned in search for Philly carjackers
- Connecticut man accused of shooting pet turtle
- Georgia opens criminal case against ex-president
- Not in my backyard: US sending dirty coal abroad
- Hamas leader Meshaal demands end to occupation
- Government said to suppress evidence in Blackwater
- Father, stepmother of found boy due in court
- Female suicide bomber kills several in Nigeria
- Muslims mark end of Ramadan with Eid celebrations
- Teens: We were told to stay on sinking Korean ship
- Philippine leader: Not even a bomb can stop reform
- Iraqi officials: 14 bodies found in Baghdad
- Liberia president orders new anti-Ebola measures
- Italian tenor Bergonzi dies at age 90
- Japan to step up sanctions against Russia
- Syria's Assad prays as his troops suffer high toll
- UN rights chief: Flight 17 possible war crime
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!