Friday Night: A clear sky with an overnight low near 30. 20s away from the city.
Saturday: Partly sunny and warmer with an afternoon high in the mid/upper 50s. A south wind at 10-15mph.
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy and not ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Tennessee death row inmate dies in prison
- Georgia's Redcoat Band plans James Brown tribute
- Deputy released from hospital after gunshot wound
- Alabama man dies on flight from Atlanta to Seattle
- Black Friday shoppers: Thanksgiving not for sales
- Deputies hurt while breaking up fight in east Ga.
- Grady no longer accepting major insurer
- More than a dozen horses die in Woodstock fire
- George Takei to narrate Atlanta Symphony concerts
- Police fear gunman may be targeting homeless
- When pigs fly? Not on this US Airways plane
- A glance at national protests, cleanup in Ferguson
- NY dinner puts wealthy and homeless at same tables
- Federal panel to hear ex-Detroit mayor's appeal
- Officials suspect poisoning in Oregon crow die-off
- Police: Man held after choking neighbor's loud dog
- Son arrested after woman run over, killed in Maine
- Vegas scooter rider dead in crash on Thanksgiving
- NY dealership ceiling partly collapses, killing 1
- NY officer saw snow boot, then found 2 buried boys
- Death toll in Venezuelan prison overdose up to 35
- Officials: Israel's Eisenkot named military chief
- Argentina: scandal widens over Swiss bank accounts
- Yemen's Shiite, Sunni rivals hold rare meeting
- Bomb blast hits mosque in northern Nigeria city
- Russian Navy successfully tests new missile
- Spain: Bank shootout kills police officer, suspect
- Flooding kills at least 4 in French Riviera towns
- Rebels push forward in southern Syria
- French president cheered in Ebola-stricken Guinea
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!