Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Seminole County wins GA class AA state boys basketball title
- 3 killed in south Georgia fire
- House bill would remove limitations on cancer hospital
- SUV plunges off bridge on highway north of Atlanta
- Gov. Deal: February tax revenues up more than 12 percent
- Plane that skidded through fence at LaGuardia is removed
- Judge sets May sentencing for mom found guilty of murder
- Woman hospitalized with burn injuries after house fire
- Police search for motorist after woman killed in hit-and-run
- Search is on for escaped inmate in northwest Georgia
- 2 San Francisco airport workers charged in smuggling scheme
- SF surgeons complete surgeries in kidney transplant chain
- Former Vice President Walter Mondale hospitalized with flu
- Secret to The Lumineers' success? A newspaper columnist
- AP PHOTOS: Ringling Bros to retire elephants; tradition ends
- AP Source: Federal charges expected against Sen. Menendez
- Ohio terrorism suspect says he would have shot Obama
- Body of Mexican man shot by police flown to Mexico, buried
- Church says abducted Seattle missionary released
- Authorities provide security for holdout juror in Arias case
- Sierra Leone's ruling party expels vice president
- Puerto Rico police official sentenced in fatal beating case
- Former Israeli spy chief rejects parts of Netanyahu speech
- UN Libya envoy says airstrikes threaten peace talks
- Palestinian assailant wounds 5 Israelis in car attack
- Macedonia government accused of election fraud
- Mexican circus owners say ban means animals may die
- 12 die, thousands evacuated in Argentine flooding
- Dutch investigating old soap for traces of Holocaust victims
- EU chief optimistic about finding Iran nuclear deal
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!