Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Pilot killed in Pickens County plane crash identified
- Father, sons sentenced for roles in a shooting at motel
- Former Georgia doctor guilty of distributing painkillers
- Macon suspect says she shot her boyfriend in self-defense
- Flames engulf motorcyclist and his bike at gas station
- Shooter opens fire on taxicab in Atlanta, wounding passenger
- MARTA police offer safety service to protect fearful patrons
- Pilot killed in Pickens County plane crash
- Autopsy: Football player's death due to heart disease
- Man charged with raping fiancTe's 12-year-old daughter
- US weighing Russian response on flight safety guildlines
- Prison garb mix-up means more coats for the homeless
- Shark bites surfer on Oahu's North Shore
- The Latest: Prosecutor says campus shooting not self-defense
- Face-down dummy Halloween prank prompts repeated 911 calls
- Prosecutors play back ex-coal CEO's phone calls at trial
- All clear after search for 'aggressor' on Louisville campus
- Report finds improper use of Park Service lodge in Wyoming
- Ex-cop accused of hitting man pleads guilty to lesser charge
- US Border Patrol agent pleads not guilty in shooting of teen
- China starts operating lighthouses on South China Sea reef
- Cuba submits latest draft UN resolution against US embargo
- Suspected jihadists attack central Mali, kill official
- The Latest: Obama praises Nobel Peace Prize choice
- Turkish journalist detained for tweets critical of president
- The Latest: Czechs beef up policing along Austrian border
- Sweden thrown into political uncertainty
- UN rejects $15 million offer from foundation under scrutiny
- Pope turns bishops' attention to family crises in Mideast
- UNESCO: Most nations fail gender parity goal for education
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!