Thursday: Mostly sunny and warmer with an afternoon high in the mid/upper 70s. A south wind at 10-15mph.
Thursday Night: Becoming cloudy. An overnight low near 60. ... More...
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A
federal appeals court has ruled a Knoxville fourth-grader's rights were
not violated in a dispute over a Bible study group that met during
The parents of Luke Whitson sued the Knox County
Board of Education in 2005 because they believed their child's principal
had banned the group.
Although the principal seems to have
made some confusing statements, once the controversy became the subject
of news stories, the school board issued a statement. It said that
recess is intended to provide students with physical activity and that a
daily sedentary activity like Bible study undermined that goal.
media interviews, school officials said children were welcome to read
their Bibles during free time, such as before and after school.
The parents appealed after losing a 2009 jury trial.Bible Ruling
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
ATLANTA (AP) -- A collaborative of Georgia journalism schools and news organizations will use a $35,000 grant to train investigative reporters.
- Ga. journalism collaborative awarded $35 million
- Ga. Republican's ad blames 'immoral' debt on Obama
- Amber Alert issued for 2-year-old girl
- Boy says he sang gospel song, abductor freed him
- Deal signs bill expanding gun rights in Georgia
- Deal set to sign bill expanding gun rights in Ga.
- More guilty pleas planned in dog fighting probe
- Savannah beekeeper rescues swarm at restaurant
- Georgia man pleads not guilty in deadly ND crash
- Ohio women held captive seek Joan Rivers' apology
- Transcript: Man shot by US marshal vowed to behave
- Defense: FBI probe in 9/11 trial has implications
- US Sen. Boozman recovering from heart surgery
- James Holmes' attorneys appeal sanity exam order
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Bashtag: NYPD Twitter campaign backfires
- Images released of shipwreck in San Francisco Bay
- Indiana cat missing 5 years reunited with owner
- Child porn victim surprised by court ruling tossing out $3.4 million judgment
- Chile aims to end dictatorship-era election rules
- UN denies S. Sudan government statement
- Car bomb outside Nairobi police station kills 4
- American arrested in Venezuela on murder charges
- Sherpas leave Everest, some expeditions scrap plans for climbs
- UN seeks probe of alleged chlorine gas in Syria
- Mauritanian president says he will run again
- Islamic militants detained in central Nigeria
- Tunisia divided over Jews' use of Israel passports
- Ex-Senegalese president's trip home in limbo
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!