NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A
federal appeals court has ruled a Knoxville fourth-grader's rights were
not violated in a dispute over a Bible study group that met during
The parents of Luke Whitson sued the Knox County
Board of Education in 2005 because they believed their child's principal
had banned the group.
Although the principal seems to have
made some confusing statements, once the controversy became the subject
of news stories, the school board issued a statement. It said that
recess is intended to provide students with physical activity and that a
daily sedentary activity like Bible study undermined that goal.
media interviews, school officials said children were welcome to read
their Bibles during free time, such as before and after school.
The parents appealed after losing a 2009 jury trial.Bible Ruling
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. man sentenced in shooting death of 23-month-old grandson
- Teens arrested in theft of restaurant's sweet tea dispenser
- Waycross woman struck and killed by train
- Augusta aims to expand its herd of grass-gobbling goats
- Georgians to visit New York as part of crime-fighting plan
- TSU program exposes students to cutting-edge research
- Firefighters rescue puppy from 75-foot well north of Atlanta
- 2 men killed in pair of Fourth of July shootings in Columbus
- Man drowns in Chattahoochee River northwest of Atlanta
- Girl, 16, killed by stray bullet that enters her home
- Satanic Temple sees Arkansas as possible monument location
- Mom of man who died in fireworks accident says rules too lax
- Spacecraft closing in on Pluto hits speed bump, but recovers
- Deadly weekend in Chicago highlights city's gang warfare
- Obama: Fight against IS progressing, but still a long slog
- Beautiful Vermont swimming hole takes another life
- Grizzly bear shatters barrier at Minnesota Zoo
- Man charged with threatening Obama's life in online post
- Search for missing California baby enters fifth day
- Lawmakers reject amendment that would put flag to a public vote
- 2 migrants die in truck crash in southern Mexico
- The Latest: Pope Francis meets with Jesuit priest in Ecuador
- 1 dead, 2 taken to hospital after ammonia leak in Ontario
- Quebec marks anniversary of rail disaster that killed 47
- The Latest: Pope Francis visits Jesuit-run school in Ecuador
- Mali extremist traded for French hostage killed in attack
- Thousands evacuate as wildfires burn in west Canada
- The Latest: Flags from many nations seen during pope visit
- The Latest: Pope focuses homily on family in Ecuador
- Mexico rescues 12 Cubans from makeshift raft
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!