Today: Mostly cloudy with some light rain possible. A cooler afternoon high in the low/mid 60s along with a steady northeast wind at 10-15mph.
Tonight: Cloudy with some rain possible, especially over the southern part of the viewing area. An ... More...
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A
federal appeals court has ruled a Knoxville fourth-grader's rights were
not violated in a dispute over a Bible study group that met during
The parents of Luke Whitson sued the Knox County
Board of Education in 2005 because they believed their child's principal
had banned the group.
Although the principal seems to have
made some confusing statements, once the controversy became the subject
of news stories, the school board issued a statement. It said that
recess is intended to provide students with physical activity and that a
daily sedentary activity like Bible study undermined that goal.
media interviews, school officials said children were welcome to read
their Bibles during free time, such as before and after school.
The parents appealed after losing a 2009 jury trial.Bible Ruling
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Water main break again prompts street closure
- High winds, heavy rain expected in Georgia
- Interim president chosen for Gwinnett Tech
- Ga. woman sentenced in investment fraud scheme
- State warns against leaving children in vehicles
- Developers interested in baseball stadium property
- US Chamber endorses Kingston in Ga. Senate race
- More than $1M in fake soccer gear seized in Ga.
- Atlanta airport officials mulling terminal hotel
- Geico planning middle Ga. expansion
- Views differ of imam accused in terror case
- Remembering an officer slain after bombs went off
- Homeland Security reissues immigrant asylum rules
- Woman, teenager found dead in Lake Erie; 2 missing
- Texas town honors 15 killed in year-ago explosion
- 2 long-time friends discuss the First Amendment
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- Flight lands safely in Indiana after threat
- Condition upgraded for victim of firetruck crash
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Iran: Rouhani talks peace, outreach at army parade
- Taliban inmates break out of Afghan prison
- Pakistani madrassa names library after bin Laden
- Filipino devotees re-enact crucifixion of Christ
- Royal couple enjoy sheep-shearing demo Down Under
- Avalanche sweeps Everest; 4-5 believed buried
- Rob Ford acknowledges "rocky moments" at rally
- Dutch man's case linked to Amanda Todd
- Gulf Arab states strike new deal to heal rifts
- Dutch man's case may be linked to Amanda Todd
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!