Tonight: Mostly clear with lows in the lower 60s and winds near calm.
Tuesday: Mostly sunny and highs again in the mid ... More...
Baylor Student Named Presidential Scholar
U.S. Secretary of
Education Arne Duncan today announced the selection of Tyler Blackmon of
Rising Fawn, Georgia as a 2012 U.S. Presidential Scholar.
Blackmon attends Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tenn.
is among the 141 outstanding American high school seniors that have
demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, artistic excellence,
leadership, citizenship, service, and contribution to school and
community. The U.S. Presidential Scholars will be honored for their
accomplishments in Washington D.C., from June 16-19.
Presidential Scholars is an important celebration of students showing
the dedication, creativity and ambition to become future leaders,"
Duncan said. "As national, state and local leaders work side by side
with principals, teachers, and parents to make our schools better, we
can learn from the students all around us whose hard work and
accomplishments embody the kind of excellence we want every child to
The White House Commission on Presidential Scholars,
appointed by President Obama, selects honored scholars annually based on
their academic success, artistic excellence, essays, school evaluations
and transcripts, as well as evidence of community service, leadership,
and demonstrated commitment to high ideals. Of the three million
students expected to graduate from high school this year, more than
3,300 candidates qualified for the 2012 awards determined by outstanding
performance on the College Board SAT and ACT exams, and through
nominations made by Chief State School Officers or the National
Foundation for Advancement in the Arts nationwide YoungArts™
The 2012 Presidential Scholars are comprised of one
young man and one young woman from each state, the District of Columbia
and Puerto Rico, and from U.S. families living abroad, as well as 15
chosen at-large and 20 Presidential Scholars in the Arts.
in 1964, the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program has honored more than
6,000 of the nation's top-performing students with the prestigious award
given to honorees during the annual ceremony in D.C. The program was
expanded in 1979 to recognize students who demonstrate exceptional
talent in the visual, literary and performing arts. Since 1983, each
Presidential Scholar has been offered the opportunity to invite his or
her most inspiring and challenging teacher to the annual ceremony where
they are honored with a Teacher Recognition Award from the U.S.
Department of Education.
The teacher chosen by Blackmon was Floyd Celapino of Chattanooga, Tenn.
Baylor Student Named Presidential Scholar
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Former President Carter celebrates 90th birthday
- Jury to start deliberating loud music killing case
- Man struck, killed by transit train in Atlanta
- Petition seeks charges in crash that killed 7
- Person struck, killed by transit train in Atlanta
- Person struck by transit train in downtown Atlanta
- ATF agent shot in Athens, hospitalized
- 2 suspects captured after shootout with police
- Grant to help Ga. health organization bolster care
- GA lawmakers to hear testimony on medical cannabis
- In Scott Walker race, he's the main issue
- Federal appeals court to mull guns in post offices
- Report IDs 'major weaknesses' at nuclear-arms lab
- Police: Worker hid $1,200 worth of meat in pants
- Ex-officer pleads guilty in drugstore killings
- Girl, 10, dies from complications of enterovirus
- Mom may face new charges in van chase, shooting
- Trial set in deadly Vegas Strip shooting, crash
- Senior congressman wants Secret Service chief out
- Jury selection resumes in Jodi Arias retrial
- France ups military deployment against IS group
- UN says Syria vaccine deaths was an NGO 'mistake'
- Chinese government may be losing patience with protests in Hong Kong
- NATO's new chief says relations with Russia could improve
- US Navy says crew member missing in Persian Gulf
- UN says 1st staffer dies of 'probable' Ebola
- Pope urges Europe to open doors to refugees
- British warplanes destroy IS targets in Iraq
- Officials: Baghdad car bomb kills 13
- Destruction of Syria weapons facilities to begin
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!