Tonight: Mostly clear with lows around 60.
Tomorrow: Partly cloudy and warm. Highs in the low to middle 80s.
Tomorrow Night: Mostly clear and pleasant. Lows in the upper 50s to lower 60s.
Highs ... More...
Baylor Student Named Presidential Scholar
U.S. Secretary of
Education Arne Duncan today announced the selection of Tyler Blackmon of
Rising Fawn, Georgia as a 2012 U.S. Presidential Scholar.
Blackmon attends Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tenn.
is among the 141 outstanding American high school seniors that have
demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, artistic excellence,
leadership, citizenship, service, and contribution to school and
community. The U.S. Presidential Scholars will be honored for their
accomplishments in Washington D.C., from June 16-19.
Presidential Scholars is an important celebration of students showing
the dedication, creativity and ambition to become future leaders,"
Duncan said. "As national, state and local leaders work side by side
with principals, teachers, and parents to make our schools better, we
can learn from the students all around us whose hard work and
accomplishments embody the kind of excellence we want every child to
The White House Commission on Presidential Scholars,
appointed by President Obama, selects honored scholars annually based on
their academic success, artistic excellence, essays, school evaluations
and transcripts, as well as evidence of community service, leadership,
and demonstrated commitment to high ideals. Of the three million
students expected to graduate from high school this year, more than
3,300 candidates qualified for the 2012 awards determined by outstanding
performance on the College Board SAT and ACT exams, and through
nominations made by Chief State School Officers or the National
Foundation for Advancement in the Arts nationwide YoungArts™
The 2012 Presidential Scholars are comprised of one
young man and one young woman from each state, the District of Columbia
and Puerto Rico, and from U.S. families living abroad, as well as 15
chosen at-large and 20 Presidential Scholars in the Arts.
in 1964, the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program has honored more than
6,000 of the nation's top-performing students with the prestigious award
given to honorees during the annual ceremony in D.C. The program was
expanded in 1979 to recognize students who demonstrate exceptional
talent in the visual, literary and performing arts. Since 1983, each
Presidential Scholar has been offered the opportunity to invite his or
her most inspiring and challenging teacher to the annual ceremony where
they are honored with a Teacher Recognition Award from the U.S.
Department of Education.
The teacher chosen by Blackmon was Floyd Celapino of Chattanooga, Tenn.
Baylor Student Named Presidential Scholar
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 5 hospitalized in Forsyth Co. chemical spill
- Deal wrote recommendation for Ga. ethics chief
- Recount ordered in Ga. school superintendent race
- Georgia pushes adults to finish college programs
- Unaccompanied youths enroll in Dalton schools
- In GOP South, pushback against Obama climate rules
- Latest Georgia news, sports, business and entertainment
- Parents sue Georgia school system in gym mat death
- Man killed in plane crash on beach was stationed at Georgia base
- Soil type could impede industry on Georgia's coast
- Man claims tampering in case over bombing videos
- Missionary groups call for evacuation from Liberia
- UCLA flooded by broken water main; people stranded
- Centenarian gets honorary high school diploma
- California lifeguard injured by lightning improves
- Pennsylvania sued by US over police fitness tests
- Man dies after Las Vegas carjacking, home invasion
- Washington ferry reaches dock after losing power
- East Texas marijuana fields valued at $175 million
- US accuses Russia of violating 1987 missile treaty
- 6 die when swept away by swollen river in Mexico
- Heavy gunfire in Libyan capital
- Heaviest-yet Israeli bombardment kills at least 100, knocks out power plant
- Investigators still can't reach plane site
- Canada: Chinese hackers infiltrated government org
- Officials blame Colombia power outage on rebels
- Official: Venezuela tried to pressure Aruba
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested with rats
- Anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Rome amid turmoil
- Nigerian militants bomb bridge, killing 8 people
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!