Wednesday: Morning clouds, then a mix of sun and clouds along with occasional showers and t-showers with a high in the mid/upper 80s. A west-southwest wind at 5-10mph.
Wednesday ... More...
Baylor Student Named Presidential Scholar
U.S. Secretary of
Education Arne Duncan today announced the selection of Tyler Blackmon of
Rising Fawn, Georgia as a 2012 U.S. Presidential Scholar.
Blackmon attends Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tenn.
is among the 141 outstanding American high school seniors that have
demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, artistic excellence,
leadership, citizenship, service, and contribution to school and
community. The U.S. Presidential Scholars will be honored for their
accomplishments in Washington D.C., from June 16-19.
Presidential Scholars is an important celebration of students showing
the dedication, creativity and ambition to become future leaders,"
Duncan said. "As national, state and local leaders work side by side
with principals, teachers, and parents to make our schools better, we
can learn from the students all around us whose hard work and
accomplishments embody the kind of excellence we want every child to
The White House Commission on Presidential Scholars,
appointed by President Obama, selects honored scholars annually based on
their academic success, artistic excellence, essays, school evaluations
and transcripts, as well as evidence of community service, leadership,
and demonstrated commitment to high ideals. Of the three million
students expected to graduate from high school this year, more than
3,300 candidates qualified for the 2012 awards determined by outstanding
performance on the College Board SAT and ACT exams, and through
nominations made by Chief State School Officers or the National
Foundation for Advancement in the Arts nationwide YoungArts™
The 2012 Presidential Scholars are comprised of one
young man and one young woman from each state, the District of Columbia
and Puerto Rico, and from U.S. families living abroad, as well as 15
chosen at-large and 20 Presidential Scholars in the Arts.
in 1964, the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program has honored more than
6,000 of the nation's top-performing students with the prestigious award
given to honorees during the annual ceremony in D.C. The program was
expanded in 1979 to recognize students who demonstrate exceptional
talent in the visual, literary and performing arts. Since 1983, each
Presidential Scholar has been offered the opportunity to invite his or
her most inspiring and challenging teacher to the annual ceremony where
they are honored with a Teacher Recognition Award from the U.S.
Department of Education.
The teacher chosen by Blackmon was Floyd Celapino of Chattanooga, Tenn.
Baylor Student Named Presidential Scholar
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Close race in GOP runoff for Ga. schools post
- Wilson wins Dem primary for Ga. superintendent
- Carter wins GOP runoff for Kingston's House seat
- Hice wins GOP runoff in Broun's 10th District
- Reese wins Dem primary runoff in 1st District
- Loudermilk wins GOP runoff to succeed Rep. Gingrey
- Man falls onto Atlanta train tracks, hospitalized
- GOP voters in Georgia decide Senate nominee
- GA fire officials: Person pulled from train tracks
- Fire officials: Person struck by MARTA train
- Tropical depression moving westward in Atlantic
- Suspect in Texas police shooting 'presumed dead'
- Attorney: Ventura deserves millions from Kyle
- Obama attributes wildfires to climate change
- Black leaders worry about low turnout in November
- Vigil, march for NY man who died in police custody
- Maryland church built in 1773 ravaged by fire
- Crews make gains on massive Washington wildfire
- Government drafting birth control accommodation
- Man dies in California after beach hole collapses
- Parts of Chinese city sealed for bubonic plague
- China cracks down on online rumors, porn
- Qatar, Saudi rulers meet on Gaza cease-fire talks
- Puerto Rico police probe deaths of 16 cats, dogs
- Mexico's circuses caught up in animal rights spat
- Israel tells airlines not to cancel flights
- Nigerian president meets with parents of abducted girls
- Crash scene still not secure
- Canada deports members of human trafficking ring
- Egypt: 20 'terrorists' carried out border attack
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Health and Beauty
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!