Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award
The partnership between the Baylor School and Girls Inc.'s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School was awarded the prestigious 2012 Corporate & Private Program Volunteer Award by the National Girls Inc. organization at a regional conference held in November. The award is for volunteer work by Baylor students from November 2011 – November 2012.
For seventeen years, female Baylor School students have been volunteering at Girls Inc.’s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School providing homework help and academic enrichment. Twenty-one Baylor students volunteered a total of 3,266 hours at the Girls Inc. program during the 2011-2012 school year. In addition to critical academic assistance, the Baylor students also planned and raised money for a holiday party including food, games and gifts for the girls.
The award was presented to Girls Inc. of Chattanooga staff during Girls Inc.’s Region IV conference. The beautiful plaque will be presented by Girls Inc. participants in the afterschool program to several of the Baylor School volunteers at the Girls Inc. of Chattanooga office on Tuesday, December 11. Among those in attendance will be Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson, Joli Anderson, Director of Community Service for Baylor, Barbara Kennedy, Director of External Affairs for Baylor and Bea Lurie, President and CEO of Girls Inc. of Chattanooga.
“The dedication of the Baylor students in the community service program led by Joli Anderson is extraordinary. They inspire the Girls Inc. girls to excel in their homework and in academic enrichment activities," said Bea Lurie, Girls Inc. of Chattanooga’s President & CEO. “The Baylor students form very close mentorship relationships with the girls that have had a huge impact on their lives. And, the Baylor students also benefit from the partnership.”
“Baylor is truly grateful for our partnership with Girls Inc., a partnership that is now seventeen years and counting. We are honored that such a wonderful organization would think of recognizing our humble contributions to the fulfillment of their mission: inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold. We are proud supporters of their mission and efforts,” said Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson.Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award Friday, December 7 2012, 10:21 AM EST
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Atlanta Steeplechase marks 50th year
- 1 person killed, others hurt in crash at Ga courthouse
- Scarlett O'Hara outfit could fetch $100,000 at auction
- Georgia school district hopes to implement free meal program
- Georgia school district implements new free meal program
- Animal shelter rescues baby chicks from Georgia post office
- State panel to discuss prevention of infant 'co-sleeping'
- Tybee Island prepares for 'Orange Crush' partygoers
- Jury indicts 3 in killing of Univ. of Georgia student
- Ga. city rejects $90 million water park resort proposal
- Police: Officers kill man who charged at them near St. Louis
- Police: Man shot, killed by Chicago officer
- Obama's Earth Day trek to Fla. to highlight climate change
- Police: Armed, barricaded person shot and killed by officer
- Attorneys seek dismissal of charges in Islamic State case
- Hawaii telescope builders again extend construction timeout
- Judge OKs bail for 2 accused of supporting Islamic State
- Gas-line blast closes major highway, injures at least 11
- 2 convicted of desecrating Illinois cemetery get prison time
- Man pleads not guilty in killing of missing girlfriend
- Nepal marks anniversary of deadliest Everest avalanche
- Iraqi official: Ground forces enter Iraq's biggest refinery
- French replica of revolutionary frigate sets sail for Boston
- Rouhani says Saudis will harvest hatred in Yemen
- Indian troops fire at Kashmir protesters; teenager killed
- Colombia's president wants rebels to set deadline for peace
- Iran urges UN to try to end Saudi-led bombing in Yemen
- Canada charges 4 British Navy sailors with sex assault
- UN weather agency scratches 'Isis' from storm name list
- At least 40 dead in Baghdad bombings
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!