Tonight: Scattered evening t-showers, then a better chance of showers and storms late tonight. Lows near 70.
Thursday: ... More...
Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award
The partnership between the Baylor School and Girls Inc.'s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School was awarded the prestigious 2012 Corporate & Private Program Volunteer Award by the National Girls Inc. organization at a regional conference held in November. The award is for volunteer work by Baylor students from November 2011 – November 2012.
For seventeen years, female Baylor School students have been volunteering at Girls Inc.’s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School providing homework help and academic enrichment. Twenty-one Baylor students volunteered a total of 3,266 hours at the Girls Inc. program during the 2011-2012 school year. In addition to critical academic assistance, the Baylor students also planned and raised money for a holiday party including food, games and gifts for the girls.
The award was presented to Girls Inc. of Chattanooga staff during Girls Inc.’s Region IV conference. The beautiful plaque will be presented by Girls Inc. participants in the afterschool program to several of the Baylor School volunteers at the Girls Inc. of Chattanooga office on Tuesday, December 11. Among those in attendance will be Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson, Joli Anderson, Director of Community Service for Baylor, Barbara Kennedy, Director of External Affairs for Baylor and Bea Lurie, President and CEO of Girls Inc. of Chattanooga.
“The dedication of the Baylor students in the community service program led by Joli Anderson is extraordinary. They inspire the Girls Inc. girls to excel in their homework and in academic enrichment activities," said Bea Lurie, Girls Inc. of Chattanooga’s President & CEO. “The Baylor students form very close mentorship relationships with the girls that have had a huge impact on their lives. And, the Baylor students also benefit from the partnership.”
“Baylor is truly grateful for our partnership with Girls Inc., a partnership that is now seventeen years and counting. We are honored that such a wonderful organization would think of recognizing our humble contributions to the fulfillment of their mission: inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold. We are proud supporters of their mission and efforts,” said Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson.Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award Friday, December 7 2012, 10:21 AM EST
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Atlanta Cyclorama painting to move across town
- Head of troubled CDC anthrax lab has resigned
- Tropical depression weakens to tropical wave
- Fund set up for injured firefighters
- Crews clearing out Savannah homeless camps
- Daycare won't appeal revocation of license
- Tropical depression approaching Lesser Antilles
- DeKalb District Attorney to receive national honor
- With GOP runoff over, Perdue and Nunn face off
- Ga. group to address jail gangs, contraband
- Jury: Man stabbed ex 84 times, put pig mask on her
- Funeral set for man who died in NYC police custody
- FAA continues ban on US flights to Tel Aviv
- Official: Williston air quality OK after fire
- Funeral set for NYC man who died during arrest
- Appeal court asked to unblock Florida gay marriage
- Dole, vets groups renew push for disability treaty
- Man asked to leave Southwest flight over tweet
- Duran Duran accuses fan club of contract breach
- Gunman who wounded 2 Texas officers found dead
- Police officer sentenced to death for killing AP photographer
- 2 bombs kill at least 25 in Kaduna, north Nigeria
- Dutch say black box damaged but voice data ok
- Envoy urges UN to demand halt to Iraq extremists
- Gaza battle rages as US pushes for truce
- Iraq lawmakers postpone vote on new president
- Rebels confirm downing of two Ukrainian fighter jets
- Owner of Mexican shelter defends tough love
- UN rights chief warns of possible Gaza war crimes
- Report: Plane crashes in Taiwan, killing 51 people
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!