Friday (Halloween): Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. Scattered light showers as well. An afternoon high in the upper 50s to low 60s. An increasing North wind at 10-20mph.
Friday ... More...
Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award
The partnership between the Baylor School and Girls Inc.'s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School was awarded the prestigious 2012 Corporate & Private Program Volunteer Award by the National Girls Inc. organization at a regional conference held in November. The award is for volunteer work by Baylor students from November 2011 – November 2012.
For seventeen years, female Baylor School students have been volunteering at Girls Inc.’s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School providing homework help and academic enrichment. Twenty-one Baylor students volunteered a total of 3,266 hours at the Girls Inc. program during the 2011-2012 school year. In addition to critical academic assistance, the Baylor students also planned and raised money for a holiday party including food, games and gifts for the girls.
The award was presented to Girls Inc. of Chattanooga staff during Girls Inc.’s Region IV conference. The beautiful plaque will be presented by Girls Inc. participants in the afterschool program to several of the Baylor School volunteers at the Girls Inc. of Chattanooga office on Tuesday, December 11. Among those in attendance will be Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson, Joli Anderson, Director of Community Service for Baylor, Barbara Kennedy, Director of External Affairs for Baylor and Bea Lurie, President and CEO of Girls Inc. of Chattanooga.
“The dedication of the Baylor students in the community service program led by Joli Anderson is extraordinary. They inspire the Girls Inc. girls to excel in their homework and in academic enrichment activities," said Bea Lurie, Girls Inc. of Chattanooga’s President & CEO. “The Baylor students form very close mentorship relationships with the girls that have had a huge impact on their lives. And, the Baylor students also benefit from the partnership.”
“Baylor is truly grateful for our partnership with Girls Inc., a partnership that is now seventeen years and counting. We are honored that such a wonderful organization would think of recognizing our humble contributions to the fulfillment of their mission: inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold. We are proud supporters of their mission and efforts,” said Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson.Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award Friday, December 7 2012, 10:21 AM EST
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia officials halt guardrail installation
- Lawsuits: Misconduct at fraternity led to rapes
- Ga. voters cast more than 709,900 early ballots
- 2 Atlanta firefighters recovering from burns, fall
- Deal, Carter, Nunn, Perdue make closing pitches
- Former Ga. ethics commission attorney sues agency
- DeKalb Co. crime stats questioned in federal audit
- Fatal Walker Co. fire linked to wood burning stove
- Allman dropped from Georgia lawsuit in train crash
- Perdue, Nunn talk trust, solutions in final ads
- Ebola victim's fiancTe struggles to rebuild life
- Ohio man detained in North Korea returning to work
- Life goes on for nurse in standoff over Ebola
- Judge to hold hearing in Kansas gay marriage suit
- Dallas nurse who survived Ebola to get dog back
- Town official: Halloween back on as manhunt ends
- Town hopes to hold Halloween as manhunt ends
- Grand Canyon receives reports of roaming wolf
- Nevada court says Strip club dancers are employees
- Obama speaks to Myanmar's political leaders
- Court upholds death verdicts in slashing attack
- Hong Kong activists mull Beijing visit during APEC
- Myanmar's president, army chief meet Suu Kyi
- Malaysia Airlines sued by 2 boys over Flight 370
- US and Australia drop sanctions against Fiji
- Nations in Americas join in battle against Ebola
- Cali cartel boss' daughter charged with extortion
- French town bans clown disguises after assaults
- Clothing with bodies matches missing Texans'
- Costa Rica volcano spews ash, prompts evacuations
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!