Friday: Mostly cloudy with some rain at times again. Even a thundershower possible. High in the low to mid 80s.
Showers and a few storms ... More...
Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award
The partnership between the Baylor School and Girls Inc.'s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School was awarded the prestigious 2012 Corporate & Private Program Volunteer Award by the National Girls Inc. organization at a regional conference held in November. The award is for volunteer work by Baylor students from November 2011 – November 2012.
For seventeen years, female Baylor School students have been volunteering at Girls Inc.’s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School providing homework help and academic enrichment. Twenty-one Baylor students volunteered a total of 3,266 hours at the Girls Inc. program during the 2011-2012 school year. In addition to critical academic assistance, the Baylor students also planned and raised money for a holiday party including food, games and gifts for the girls.
The award was presented to Girls Inc. of Chattanooga staff during Girls Inc.’s Region IV conference. The beautiful plaque will be presented by Girls Inc. participants in the afterschool program to several of the Baylor School volunteers at the Girls Inc. of Chattanooga office on Tuesday, December 11. Among those in attendance will be Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson, Joli Anderson, Director of Community Service for Baylor, Barbara Kennedy, Director of External Affairs for Baylor and Bea Lurie, President and CEO of Girls Inc. of Chattanooga.
“The dedication of the Baylor students in the community service program led by Joli Anderson is extraordinary. They inspire the Girls Inc. girls to excel in their homework and in academic enrichment activities," said Bea Lurie, Girls Inc. of Chattanooga’s President & CEO. “The Baylor students form very close mentorship relationships with the girls that have had a huge impact on their lives. And, the Baylor students also benefit from the partnership.”
“Baylor is truly grateful for our partnership with Girls Inc., a partnership that is now seventeen years and counting. We are honored that such a wonderful organization would think of recognizing our humble contributions to the fulfillment of their mission: inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold. We are proud supporters of their mission and efforts,” said Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson.Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award Friday, December 7 2012, 10:21 AM EST
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Atlanta Public Schools announces pay increases
- GA woman fights charges after car strikes children
- Winner declared in Ga. GOP school's chief recount
- Ebola patient to be transferred to Emory hospital
- Ga. exempted from parts of federal education law
- Children at Macon daycare to be tested for TB
- Usher 'overwhelmed' by supporters of foundation
- Georgia woman charged in widespread tax fraud case
- Dog fatally shot after attacking Ga. boy, officer
- Gov. Deal meets with Latino leaders on immigration
- Heavy Gaza fighting ahead of proposed 3-day truce
- Senate confirms US ambassador to Russia
- Deal struck to conserve Colorado River basin
- GOP senator blocks approval of US ambassadors
- Boat collision off Fla. Keys kills 1, injures 1
- New York Air Guardsman pushed down bar stairs dies
- Police: Costumed girl injured at Comic-Con fell
- US prosecutor warns Cuomo over corruption probe
- Pilot guilty of using alias to fly news choppers
- Hawaii fish collector charged in scuba incident
- Australia welcomes Gaza ceasefire as 'marvelous'
- Officials: US citizen killed by bandits in Haiti
- Power gradually being restored in Colombia city
- Judge won't free Russian accused of hacking in US
- US, UN announce deal on Gaza cease-fire
- Israeli reservists will relieve Gaza troops
- Dutch retrieve DNA of some Ukraine crash victims
- Canada man accused in killings fit to stand trial
- US launches charm offensive against wary India
- French forces arrest Mali jihadist ex-leader
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!