Saturday Night: A fair sky with a low in the low 50s (40s away from the city)
Sunday: Mostly sunny and even warmer. An afternoon high in the mid/upper 70s.
Partly sunny and near 80 by Monday. This trend continues ... More...
Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award
The partnership between the Baylor School and Girls Inc.'s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School was awarded the prestigious 2012 Corporate & Private Program Volunteer Award by the National Girls Inc. organization at a regional conference held in November. The award is for volunteer work by Baylor students from November 2011 – November 2012.
For seventeen years, female Baylor School students have been volunteering at Girls Inc.’s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School providing homework help and academic enrichment. Twenty-one Baylor students volunteered a total of 3,266 hours at the Girls Inc. program during the 2011-2012 school year. In addition to critical academic assistance, the Baylor students also planned and raised money for a holiday party including food, games and gifts for the girls.
The award was presented to Girls Inc. of Chattanooga staff during Girls Inc.’s Region IV conference. The beautiful plaque will be presented by Girls Inc. participants in the afterschool program to several of the Baylor School volunteers at the Girls Inc. of Chattanooga office on Tuesday, December 11. Among those in attendance will be Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson, Joli Anderson, Director of Community Service for Baylor, Barbara Kennedy, Director of External Affairs for Baylor and Bea Lurie, President and CEO of Girls Inc. of Chattanooga.
“The dedication of the Baylor students in the community service program led by Joli Anderson is extraordinary. They inspire the Girls Inc. girls to excel in their homework and in academic enrichment activities," said Bea Lurie, Girls Inc. of Chattanooga’s President & CEO. “The Baylor students form very close mentorship relationships with the girls that have had a huge impact on their lives. And, the Baylor students also benefit from the partnership.”
“Baylor is truly grateful for our partnership with Girls Inc., a partnership that is now seventeen years and counting. We are honored that such a wonderful organization would think of recognizing our humble contributions to the fulfillment of their mission: inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold. We are proud supporters of their mission and efforts,” said Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson.Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award Friday, December 7 2012, 10:21 AM EST
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Officer shoots teen outside stadium during game
- State plan is aimed at helping Alabama veterans
- State schools chief says he's applied for Rome job
- In Ga. Senate race, Ted Cruz stumps for Perdue
- Athens-Clarke County police name interim chief
- Democratic Rep. Barrow works for GOP votes in Ga.
- Ga. polls open statewide for Saturday voting
- Ban on plastic bags proposed for Tybee Island
- Police arrest ex-boyfriend of burned Ga. woman
- Police: metro Atlanta inmate escapes work detail
- Cuomo: Ebola quarantine may be hard to enforce
- Ships idle off Los Angeles amid port problems
- School shooting investigation
- Gold nugget found in California finds secret buyer
- Dallas nurse who survived Ebola must wait for dog
- Hawaii officials warn of possible lava evacuation
- Darrell Wallace Jr. wins at Martinsville again
- Health care worker criticizes quarantine process
- Yosemite rangers try to keep hungry bears at bay
- Correction: US-United States-Iraq-US Death story
- US: Power to visit Ebola-ravaged West Africa
- Iran hangs woman for killing alleged rapist
- Top Israeli minister: 'crisis' in US relationship
- Nanny of Venezuelan ex-minister arrested in Brazil
- Opposition rejects Mozambique's election results
- Mussolini air raid shelter opens to tourists
- Suicide attack kills 8 Shiite militiamen in Iraq
- Extremists shell northern Syrian town
- Ukraine pauses before decisive vote
- Number of Islamic extremists growing in Germany
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!