Tuesday: Sunny with an afternoon high in the mid/upper 70s. A northeast wind at 10mph.
Tuesday Night: Clear and cool with an overnight ... More...
Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award
The partnership between the Baylor School and Girls Inc.'s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School was awarded the prestigious 2012 Corporate & Private Program Volunteer Award by the National Girls Inc. organization at a regional conference held in November. The award is for volunteer work by Baylor students from November 2011 – November 2012.
For seventeen years, female Baylor School students have been volunteering at Girls Inc.’s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School providing homework help and academic enrichment. Twenty-one Baylor students volunteered a total of 3,266 hours at the Girls Inc. program during the 2011-2012 school year. In addition to critical academic assistance, the Baylor students also planned and raised money for a holiday party including food, games and gifts for the girls.
The award was presented to Girls Inc. of Chattanooga staff during Girls Inc.’s Region IV conference. The beautiful plaque will be presented by Girls Inc. participants in the afterschool program to several of the Baylor School volunteers at the Girls Inc. of Chattanooga office on Tuesday, December 11. Among those in attendance will be Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson, Joli Anderson, Director of Community Service for Baylor, Barbara Kennedy, Director of External Affairs for Baylor and Bea Lurie, President and CEO of Girls Inc. of Chattanooga.
“The dedication of the Baylor students in the community service program led by Joli Anderson is extraordinary. They inspire the Girls Inc. girls to excel in their homework and in academic enrichment activities," said Bea Lurie, Girls Inc. of Chattanooga’s President & CEO. “The Baylor students form very close mentorship relationships with the girls that have had a huge impact on their lives. And, the Baylor students also benefit from the partnership.”
“Baylor is truly grateful for our partnership with Girls Inc., a partnership that is now seventeen years and counting. We are honored that such a wonderful organization would think of recognizing our humble contributions to the fulfillment of their mission: inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold. We are proud supporters of their mission and efforts,” said Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson.Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award Friday, December 7 2012, 10:21 AM EST
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Suspect in Atlanta-area shooting arrested in Miami
- Teen stabbed to death in downtown Atlanta park
- Senator: Drop nomination of controversial judge
- Body of man who fell from lake dock found
- Lawyer: Mom in hot car death case passed polygraph
- Man gets 5 years for restroom recordings in Cobb
- Districts in Orlando, Atlanta split school prize
- Police investigating Ga. shooting arrest Wisc. man
- Here is the latest Georgia news from The Associated Press
- Developer seeks rezoning for Norcross move studio
- FAA: Airplane makes emergency landing in Omaha
- Biden to Hispanics: Obama will act on immigration
- Trial opens for sheriff accused of 'road rage'
- Porsche driver dies in high-speed Nevada race
- Portland man hides in church to avoid deportation
- Alaska TV reporter quits on air to promote pot
- SEC giving $30M, biggest whistleblower award yet
- Mexico pres: army killing of 22 to get full probe
- Denver deputies face civil trial in preacher death
- Mike Tyson aids motorcyclist after Vegas crash
- Guatemala emergency measures after deadly clash
- Islamist group kidnaps Frenchman in Algeria
- Lights still out in Los Cabos; death toll now 5
- UN members endorse Indigenous Peoples rights
- Syrian opposition chief urges airstrikes in Syria
- Kidnappers say they'll kill Frenchman unless France ends airstrikes
- Israel court condemns African migrant detentions
- Argentina tries doctors for Dirty War baby thefts
- High-profile Israeli spy Mike Harari dead at 87
- Dozens flock to new Liberia Ebola treatment center
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!