Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award
The partnership between the Baylor School and Girls Inc.'s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School was awarded the prestigious 2012 Corporate & Private Program Volunteer Award by the National Girls Inc. organization at a regional conference held in November. The award is for volunteer work by Baylor students from November 2011 – November 2012.
For seventeen years, female Baylor School students have been volunteering at Girls Inc.’s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School providing homework help and academic enrichment. Twenty-one Baylor students volunteered a total of 3,266 hours at the Girls Inc. program during the 2011-2012 school year. In addition to critical academic assistance, the Baylor students also planned and raised money for a holiday party including food, games and gifts for the girls.
The award was presented to Girls Inc. of Chattanooga staff during Girls Inc.’s Region IV conference. The beautiful plaque will be presented by Girls Inc. participants in the afterschool program to several of the Baylor School volunteers at the Girls Inc. of Chattanooga office on Tuesday, December 11. Among those in attendance will be Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson, Joli Anderson, Director of Community Service for Baylor, Barbara Kennedy, Director of External Affairs for Baylor and Bea Lurie, President and CEO of Girls Inc. of Chattanooga.
“The dedication of the Baylor students in the community service program led by Joli Anderson is extraordinary. They inspire the Girls Inc. girls to excel in their homework and in academic enrichment activities," said Bea Lurie, Girls Inc. of Chattanooga’s President & CEO. “The Baylor students form very close mentorship relationships with the girls that have had a huge impact on their lives. And, the Baylor students also benefit from the partnership.”
“Baylor is truly grateful for our partnership with Girls Inc., a partnership that is now seventeen years and counting. We are honored that such a wonderful organization would think of recognizing our humble contributions to the fulfillment of their mission: inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold. We are proud supporters of their mission and efforts,” said Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson.Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award Friday, December 7 2012, 10:21 AM EST
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Girl, 16, killed by stray bullet that enters her home
- Police: Vet steals Humvee from Ga. base, runs from SC cops
- Man drowns in Chattahoochee River northwest of Atlanta
- Off-duty police officer, infant killed in 2-vehicle crash
- Drone supporters say ban around Georgia Capitol goes too far
- Augusta nonprofit helping students gets accreditation
- Demolition work begins on homes near Robins Air Force Base
- Study: Ga. teachers, state workers pay more for health care
- Police investigating Norcross home invasion; 1 man shot
- Kennesaw man dies of injuries from fight
- Infant found on the side of the road in Pasadena
- Boater charged after 17-year-old killed on Lake Norman
- Phoenix firefighters pull man out of chimney
- Boy, 7, killed during violent July 4 celebrations in Chicago
- Wild Walk gives NY museum visitors treetop view of forest
- Woman struck by bullet while at Pennsylvania amusement park
- To rename or not? Institutions reconsider honors for racists
- Large wave washes out Jersey shore town's fireworks display
- Haley says church shooting will forever change her outlook
- Pair of lions kept as pets by Gaza family en route to Jordan
- Indian coast guard seizes Iranian boat, arrests 12 crew
- Israeli Cabinet reverses bill easing conversion to Judaism
- Burkina Faso: Father wants justice in sex abuse case
- Israeli Cabinet reverses policy easing conversion to Judaism
- US-led coalition carries out series of deadly strikes targeting IS militants in Raqqa
- The Latest: No matter the result, Greece's way ahead unclear
- Syrian troops, Hezbollah enter rebel-held mountain resort
- Land mine blast in east Ukraine kills 5 soldiers, wounds 3
- The Latest: Solid turnout seen so far in Greek bailout vote
- San Antonio Missions receive world heritage status from UN
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!