Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award
The partnership between the Baylor School and Girls Inc.'s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School was awarded the prestigious 2012 Corporate & Private Program Volunteer Award by the National Girls Inc. organization at a regional conference held in November. The award is for volunteer work by Baylor students from November 2011 – November 2012.
For seventeen years, female Baylor School students have been volunteering at Girls Inc.’s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School providing homework help and academic enrichment. Twenty-one Baylor students volunteered a total of 3,266 hours at the Girls Inc. program during the 2011-2012 school year. In addition to critical academic assistance, the Baylor students also planned and raised money for a holiday party including food, games and gifts for the girls.
The award was presented to Girls Inc. of Chattanooga staff during Girls Inc.’s Region IV conference. The beautiful plaque will be presented by Girls Inc. participants in the afterschool program to several of the Baylor School volunteers at the Girls Inc. of Chattanooga office on Tuesday, December 11. Among those in attendance will be Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson, Joli Anderson, Director of Community Service for Baylor, Barbara Kennedy, Director of External Affairs for Baylor and Bea Lurie, President and CEO of Girls Inc. of Chattanooga.
“The dedication of the Baylor students in the community service program led by Joli Anderson is extraordinary. They inspire the Girls Inc. girls to excel in their homework and in academic enrichment activities," said Bea Lurie, Girls Inc. of Chattanooga’s President & CEO. “The Baylor students form very close mentorship relationships with the girls that have had a huge impact on their lives. And, the Baylor students also benefit from the partnership.”
“Baylor is truly grateful for our partnership with Girls Inc., a partnership that is now seventeen years and counting. We are honored that such a wonderful organization would think of recognizing our humble contributions to the fulfillment of their mission: inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold. We are proud supporters of their mission and efforts,” said Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson.Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award Friday, December 7 2012, 10:21 AM EST
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Spelman College names new president
- Jurors to resume deliberations in school cheating trial
- As young owls spread wings, online viewing of nest nears end
- Police: Man calls 911 after fatally stabbing girlfriend
- Macon man, 19, shot to death at abandoned car wash
- Prayer vigil planned after man in Maserati shot by police
- Police: Man accidentally shoots himself at gun show
- Atlanta pedestrian struck by vehicle, killed in Savannah
- Tough topics face Ga. lawmakers in session's final week
- Records: Georgia, Alabama governors meet on water dispute
- Obama to make first visit to Kenya as president
- Justices reject appeal by US flag-wearing students
- High court to hear Kansas plea to reinstate death sentences
- 4-year-old girl rides Philly bus searching for 3 a.m. snack
- Ohio officer dies after funeral procession crash
- Indiana state lawmakers to address religious objections law
- New restrictions on abortion could pass Florida Legislature
- Swastika graffiti found at Northeastern
- More dead goats found at farm of pair charged with cruelty
- Highway Patrol: 8 dead, 10 injured when Florida van crashes
- Rebel leader: Kiev blocks solution for eastern Ukraine
- France's Senate debates punishing prostitutes' customers
- Kerry pizza: Savvy restaurateur cashes in on nuke talks
- Amnesty calls for release of arrested Congolese activists
- Uzbekistan's leader scores landslide re-election win
- Israel charges Palestinian for fighting with Islamic State
- Greece and its creditors still struggle with reform list
- Malaysia proposes anti-terror laws to curb Islamic militants
- Philippines ends major offensive it says killed 139 rebels
- Hope, fear as Nigerians await results of presidential vote
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!