Tonight: A fair sky and still comfortable with an overnight low in the mid/upper 60s.
Thursday: Sunny to partly sunny. A little more humid ... More...
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor-elect Dr. Steven Angle and Interim Chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue announce the appointment of Dr. Jerald Ainsworth as Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the campus. Ainsworth currently serves UTC as a Dean of the Graduate School.
Ainsworth will assume his new responsibilities beginning June 1. He will work with Interim Provost Mary Tanner on a transition plan for Graduate School leadership.
“Dr. Ainsworth has an impressive record of outstanding teaching, administrative leadership, and scholarly research to bring to the provost’s role,” said Angle. “As a relative newcomer to UTC, he has the unique opportunity to bring both a new and a familiar perspective to the campus leadership team. I very much look forward to working with him.”
Ainsworth joined UTC in 2010 as dean and holds a tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences.
During his tenure as dean of the UTC Graduate School, Ainsworth has been successful in modifying and developing policies for continuous improvement in graduate program quality and operations.
Prior to coming to UTC, Ainsworth served as Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Dr. Ainsworth certainly distinguished himself from a very strong pool of candidates, and four especially outstanding finalists who visited campus,” said Angle. “Dr. Bogue and I want to thank the search committee for doing a tremendous job on a short timeline. And we also want to acknowledge the faculty, staff, students, alumni, foundation board, and community members who participated in the interview process. Their feedback and input was invaluable in the selection of Dr. Ainsworth.”
Ainsworth received a B.S. in biophysics from Delta State University and a M.S. in immunopathology and Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also completed a NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Medicine.
Prior to joining Southeastern Louisiana University, he held various positions at Mississippi State University, including Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and head of the Department of Basic Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Ainsworth has published extensively and has served as a manuscript reviewer for publications such as the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, the Journal of Fish Biology, the Journal of Wildlife Diseases, and the American Journal of Veterinary Research. He received the SmithKline Beecham Award for Research Excellence in 1990 and 1992.
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- County eyes changes in tattoo, body piercing rules
- Police say dispute over cellphone led to killing
- Cobb County OKs budget with increase for police
- Wildlife officials monitor disease found in snake
- Asphalt, supplies unaccounted for in Atlanta audit
- Additional arrests made in death of Georgia teen
- GA man sentenced to life plus 20 years in shooting
- Man sentenced in death of GSU soccer player
- Charges filed against ex-county official in Ga.
- Jury chosen in buttocks injection death trial
- 2 rescued from disabled boat 2 miles from falls
- Southern California beach community sees flooding
- Driver charged in market crash denied lower bail
- Lawyers for mother of autistic girl want off case
- 2 rescued from disabled boat near brink of falls
- Bound bodies of 2 found in Pa. river; 3rd hurt
- Dispatcher faces discipline over response to call
- APNewsBreak: Jindal suing feds over Common Core
- Journalist killing highlights role of freelancers
- Former Va. governor wraps up his trial testimony
- 3rd doctor dies from Ebola in Sierra Leone
- Earthquakes rock Iceland volcano
- Libya ministers resign over militia fighting
- Report: Iran redesigning reactor as part of deal
- Syrian rebels seize border crossing with Israel
- 3 playful lion cubs debut at Johannesburg Zoo
- Germany plans to tighten EU migration rules
- Experts find 283 DNA samples from MH17 site
- UN panel: Crimes against humanity spread in Syria
- North Korea calls US 'graveyard of human rights'
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!