Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor-elect Dr. Steven Angle and Interim Chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue announce the appointment of Dr. Jerald Ainsworth as Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the campus. Ainsworth currently serves UTC as a Dean of the Graduate School.
Ainsworth will assume his new responsibilities beginning June 1. He will work with Interim Provost Mary Tanner on a transition plan for Graduate School leadership.
“Dr. Ainsworth has an impressive record of outstanding teaching, administrative leadership, and scholarly research to bring to the provost’s role,” said Angle. “As a relative newcomer to UTC, he has the unique opportunity to bring both a new and a familiar perspective to the campus leadership team. I very much look forward to working with him.”
Ainsworth joined UTC in 2010 as dean and holds a tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences.
During his tenure as dean of the UTC Graduate School, Ainsworth has been successful in modifying and developing policies for continuous improvement in graduate program quality and operations.
Prior to coming to UTC, Ainsworth served as Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Dr. Ainsworth certainly distinguished himself from a very strong pool of candidates, and four especially outstanding finalists who visited campus,” said Angle. “Dr. Bogue and I want to thank the search committee for doing a tremendous job on a short timeline. And we also want to acknowledge the faculty, staff, students, alumni, foundation board, and community members who participated in the interview process. Their feedback and input was invaluable in the selection of Dr. Ainsworth.”
Ainsworth received a B.S. in biophysics from Delta State University and a M.S. in immunopathology and Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also completed a NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Medicine.
Prior to joining Southeastern Louisiana University, he held various positions at Mississippi State University, including Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and head of the Department of Basic Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Ainsworth has published extensively and has served as a manuscript reviewer for publications such as the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, the Journal of Fish Biology, the Journal of Wildlife Diseases, and the American Journal of Veterinary Research. He received the SmithKline Beecham Award for Research Excellence in 1990 and 1992.
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 10-foot, 300-pound metal rooster goes missing in Athens
- Girl, 9, wounded by gunshot in northeast Georgia
- Jury to start Day 7 of deliberating in school cheating trial
- Board chair: Morris Brown College to emerge from bankruptcy
- Police seek gunman suspected of shooting cars near I-285
- Prayer vigil planned after man in Maserati shot by police
- New Ga. hunting regulations proposed; public comment sought
- Tennessee Valley Authority to open visitor centers Saturday
- KSU hosting conference on addiction in young people
- Couple wanted in 1992 cold case arrested in central Georgia
- 2nd suspect in court in case of child cuffed to porch
- Questions remain in officer-involved shooting at NSA
- US to pledge up to 28 percent emission cut in global treaty
- Officers interview survivor of mobile home park killings
- Tsarnaev's lawyers try to show brother in charge of bombing
- 'Bernie' case prosecutor seeks recusal, says he's a witness
- Police: Man who drank 36 beers crashes into Utah house
- US files appeal of judge's hold on immigration action
- Cyclists completing ride from Sandy Hook to Washington
- 10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Turkey: Training, arming Syrian rebels could start in May
- US forces to hold exercises in Ukraine
- Indonesian prosecutors seek up to 18-year term for US couple
- Anne Frank House museum: Jewish diarist likely died earlier
- Several Turkish cities hit by power outage
- Thai leader moves to lift marital law, impose absolute power
- Differences persist on deadline day for Iran nuke talks
- Canada approves extension and expansion of IS mission
- Mexico double-transplant patient gets US humanitarian pass
- Prosecutors probe Moldova ex-president's son for corruption
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!