Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor-elect Dr. Steven Angle and Interim Chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue announce the appointment of Dr. Jerald Ainsworth as Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the campus. Ainsworth currently serves UTC as a Dean of the Graduate School.
Ainsworth will assume his new responsibilities beginning June 1. He will work with Interim Provost Mary Tanner on a transition plan for Graduate School leadership.
“Dr. Ainsworth has an impressive record of outstanding teaching, administrative leadership, and scholarly research to bring to the provost’s role,” said Angle. “As a relative newcomer to UTC, he has the unique opportunity to bring both a new and a familiar perspective to the campus leadership team. I very much look forward to working with him.”
Ainsworth joined UTC in 2010 as dean and holds a tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences.
During his tenure as dean of the UTC Graduate School, Ainsworth has been successful in modifying and developing policies for continuous improvement in graduate program quality and operations.
Prior to coming to UTC, Ainsworth served as Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Dr. Ainsworth certainly distinguished himself from a very strong pool of candidates, and four especially outstanding finalists who visited campus,” said Angle. “Dr. Bogue and I want to thank the search committee for doing a tremendous job on a short timeline. And we also want to acknowledge the faculty, staff, students, alumni, foundation board, and community members who participated in the interview process. Their feedback and input was invaluable in the selection of Dr. Ainsworth.”
Ainsworth received a B.S. in biophysics from Delta State University and a M.S. in immunopathology and Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also completed a NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Medicine.
Prior to joining Southeastern Louisiana University, he held various positions at Mississippi State University, including Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and head of the Department of Basic Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Ainsworth has published extensively and has served as a manuscript reviewer for publications such as the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, the Journal of Fish Biology, the Journal of Wildlife Diseases, and the American Journal of Veterinary Research. He received the SmithKline Beecham Award for Research Excellence in 1990 and 1992.
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 1 arrested, others sought after gunfire at Ga. Army base
- Judge: No juror misconduct in Ga. peanut trial convictions
- Judge delays sentencing for Ala woman in daughter's slaying
- Guns, training gun found where police say sheriff shot woman
- Dredging of Savannah harbor won't start until December
- Third Ga. man pleads guilty in anti-government militia plot
- Thunderstorms, high winds expected in north, central Ga.
- Man fatally shot by central Ga. sheriff's deputy
- Phillip Lucas appointed AP reporter in Birmingham, Alabama
- Suspect arrested in 2002 death of Georgia college professor
- USS Arizona Memorial dock repairs expected to take a week
- Timeline of the career of ex-US House Speaker Dennis Hastert
- 1st tropical storm of Pacific season strengthens off Mexico
- Latest on flooding: River below flood stage in North Texas
- Man gets 50 years in shooting at National Guard armory
- Search dogs aiding efforts after Texas floods need care
- Latest on flooding: Body found along Central Texas riverbank
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- Latest on flooding: Houston reduces number of missing to 1
- 10 injured in ammonia gas leak at Panhandle chemical plant
- Ex-Guatemala vice president's properties raided amid scandal
- Volcano erupts on southern Japanese island
- Thai official warns of 'alarming level' of boat people
- Asian nations meet to discuss Rohingya migrant crisis
- THE LATEST: US will vote for Prince Ali in FIFA election
- 200,000 shark fins seized at Ecuadorean port
- THE LATEST: Brazilian soccer federation head leaves Zurich
- THE LATEST: FIFA scandal has big implications in Brazil
- South Africa's 2010 World Cup bid implicated in corruption probe
- 2 ex-Guantanamo Bay detainees to tie the knot in Uruguay
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!