Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor-elect Dr. Steven Angle and Interim Chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue announce the appointment of Dr. Jerald Ainsworth as Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the campus. Ainsworth currently serves UTC as a Dean of the Graduate School.
Ainsworth will assume his new responsibilities beginning June 1. He will work with Interim Provost Mary Tanner on a transition plan for Graduate School leadership.
“Dr. Ainsworth has an impressive record of outstanding teaching, administrative leadership, and scholarly research to bring to the provost’s role,” said Angle. “As a relative newcomer to UTC, he has the unique opportunity to bring both a new and a familiar perspective to the campus leadership team. I very much look forward to working with him.”
Ainsworth joined UTC in 2010 as dean and holds a tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences.
During his tenure as dean of the UTC Graduate School, Ainsworth has been successful in modifying and developing policies for continuous improvement in graduate program quality and operations.
Prior to coming to UTC, Ainsworth served as Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Dr. Ainsworth certainly distinguished himself from a very strong pool of candidates, and four especially outstanding finalists who visited campus,” said Angle. “Dr. Bogue and I want to thank the search committee for doing a tremendous job on a short timeline. And we also want to acknowledge the faculty, staff, students, alumni, foundation board, and community members who participated in the interview process. Their feedback and input was invaluable in the selection of Dr. Ainsworth.”
Ainsworth received a B.S. in biophysics from Delta State University and a M.S. in immunopathology and Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also completed a NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Medicine.
Prior to joining Southeastern Louisiana University, he held various positions at Mississippi State University, including Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and head of the Department of Basic Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Ainsworth has published extensively and has served as a manuscript reviewer for publications such as the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, the Journal of Fish Biology, the Journal of Wildlife Diseases, and the American Journal of Veterinary Research. He received the SmithKline Beecham Award for Research Excellence in 1990 and 1992.
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- High school teacher killed in wreck with prom-going teens
MARIETTA, Ga. (AP) -- About 80,000 people attended the annual Taste of Marietta festival in northern Atlanta.
- 2 killed in northwest Atlanta shooting
- 82nd Airborne holds change of responsibility ceremony
- Police say teenager hit, killed 2-year-old Georgia boy
- Lawyer in Atlanta cheating case previews new support group
- Family says Georgia man missing after Nepal earthquake
- Singer Jamie Barton wins the 'Heisman Trophy' of music
- At Civil War's end, a steamboat disaster that history forgot
- Former president Carter reflects before milestone mission
- Latest on Boston trial: Defense says Tamerlan fueled plot
- Japan's prime minister speaks at Harvard; next stop MIT
- The Latest on Nepal Quake: Stronger quake may be yet to come
- 1 missing boater found safe after deadly storm at sea
- High court rejects appeal from protester at military base
- High court to consider time limits for discrimination claims
- The Latest on Nepal Quake: Aid worker in epicenter district
- Japan's prime minister set for address at Harvard University
- Texas English teacher named National Teacher of the Year
- Tornadoes reported as severe storm tracks across North Texas
- Turkey rebukes newly-elected Turkish Cypriot leader
- Death toll from Pakistan storm rises to 45
- Ex-president OK'd CIA site, denies knowing what it was for
- Burundi Red Cross: 6 killed in anti-president protests
- Austria's president warns against extreme-right sentiment
- Ukraine leader sees country ready for EU entrance in 5 years
- The Netherlands turns all orange for King's Day
- Army rescuer decorated after Greece shipwreck
- Berlin police sorry for stopping Israel flag display at game
- Saudi-led airstrikes target Shiite rebels across Yemen
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!