AEC Recognizes Winners of the 14th Annual Young Southern Student Writers Contest
On Tuesday, April 17, the families and teachers of 500 Chattanooga area students from over 50 schools will gather at the Tivoli Theatre for the Arts & Education Council’s 14th Annual Young Southern Student Writers awards ceremony, a celebration honoring the literary achievements of local K-12 students.
More than 5,000 students submitted entries in prose and poetry to be evaluated by members of the UT-Chattanooga English Department. Judges based their selections on creativity, content, and style. Winners will receive a medal during the awards ceremony, and will have their winning entries published in an online digital anthology by the Chattanooga Pulse.
Local authors Susan Gregg Gilmore and Alison Lebovitz will speak about the importance of reading and writing during the K-5 ceremony at 6 PM and the 6-12th grade ceremony at 7:30 PM.
“The AEC's Young Southern Student Writers program works with teachers to encourage students in the literary arts, in addition to helping inspire students to read and write,” explains AEC Executive Director Susan Robinson. “The program continues to play an integral part in the AEC's purpose of providing innovative, artistic experiences for the enrichment of the community.”
The program has grown exponentially since it started in 1999 as an outreach program of the AEC Conference on Southern Literature. Over 5,000 students from the greater Chattanooga area entered the 2012 contest, up from 500 entries in 1999.
“Being recognized and rewarded for their hard work allows students to see themselves as a real author,” says Dr. Joe Wilferth, Young Southern Student Writers chairperson and Head of the UTC English Department. “It is our hope that this encouragement inspires the students to pursue becoming even better writers.”
The 2012 Young Southern Students Writers awards ceremony is part of the 1st annual HATCH Arts Festival. Learn more at http://www.hatchchatt.org.
Entries for the 2013 contest are due in December. For more information about the Young Southern Student Writers or other education enrichment opportunities, visit the AEC website (http://www.artsedcouncil.org) or call 423-267-1218.AEC Recognizes Winners of the 14th Annual Young Southern Student Writers Contest
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Tracy Morgan settles suit with Wal-Mart over fatal crash
- Ex-Ga. coroner pleads guilty to using dead man's bank card
- Man serving 105 years for shooting police officer found dead
- Atlanta man accused of killing wife found dead
- Gunshot spotter cuts police response times by 5 minutes
- Man arrested in 2002 murder of Georgia college professor
- Kanye West to perform at Birthday Bash 20 concert in Atlanta
- Tracy Morgan grateful to settle crash lawsuit with Wal-Mart
- Georgia man pleads guilty to seeking to join Islamic State
- Police: Woman who gave workers kidnap note is alive and well
- Tropical depression forms in Pacific; first of season
- EPA plans temporary pesticide restrictions while bees feed
- Obama to get hurricane briefing, warn about climate change
- Theater shooting prosecutors build case that Holmes was sane
- Iconic Martha's Vineyard lighthouse being moved inland
- 9th arrest made in deaths of 2 Mississippi police officers
- Latest on flooding: Child's body found; man's body ID'd
- US negotiator in nuke talks with Iran to leave job in summer
- SkyWest flight diverts to Boise for medical emergency
- Latest on flooding: Tornado hits Panhandle gas rig; 3 hurt
- French, US biochemists win top Spanish prize for science
- Israel indicts Palestinian in murder of Polish tourist
- Iran foreign minister says nuclear deal possible by June 30
- Blatter calls crisis meeting, skips 3rd public appearance
- Russia classifies military casualties in peacetime
- Myanmar restricts journalists after photos show sleeping MPs
- Dalai Lama urges Aung San Suu Kyi to help Rohingya minority
- Turkey revokes journalist's honor over Erdogan criticism
- AP Interview: Serb far-right leader to fight extradition
- Etihad Airways profit jumps by over half to $73 million
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!