2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
Eastbrook Middle School 8th grader, Brisa Mandujano, is the overall winner of the 2012 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School.
The design chosen out of 193 entries includes the phrase, “Recycle, it’s the natural thing to do” which was the theme for America Recycles Day 2011. It features a group of students passing recyclable items, like bottles and cans, to each other and placing them in a green recycling bin.
The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in the Whitfield County area for at least one month. This is the third year of the design contest open to Whitfield County middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade attending either a public or private school that recycles with Target Recycling.
The billboard design contest had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level. The nine students, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with America Recycles Day items and products made from recycled materials. Their entries can be seen online at www.DWSWA.org.
• 1st Place – Jessie Zambrano, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Philip Le, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Viviana Juijon, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Haley Chapman, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Karina L. Gonzales, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Jesus Hernandez, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Brisa Mandujano, Eastbrook Middle School
• 2nd Place – Nicolas Perez, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Johnny Huynh, Dalton Middle School
America Recycles Day is celebrating 15 years of being a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to recycle visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information call 706-278-5001 or visit www.dwswa.org and click on ‘recycling’.
Photo: Brisa Mandujano, an 8th grader from Eastbrook Middle School, is the winner of this year’s America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest. Pictured is a mockup of the artwork that will be featured on two billboards in Whitfield County.2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- State Sen. Tolleson retires after Alzheimer's diagnosis
- Atlanta elementary school burglarized a fourth time
- Macon mayor to push for baseball even if vote fails
- 2 Bibb County deputies fired, charged after investigation
- High-profile attorney surrenders law license amid probe
- Carter to mediate dispute over MLK Bible, Nobel Peace Prize
- Atlanta looks to repeal law placing limits on photographers
- Man arrested in stabbing outside social services office
- The Latest: Death toll from rainstorm rises to 12
- 11 treated for exposure to pepper spray in Ga. classroom
- Pumpkins available for Halloween but maybe not Thanksgiving
- Police: Boy, 11, accidentally shoots and kills, brother, 12
- 'The Martian' screenwriter says Los Alamos influenced film
- Police: Man rapes, tortures homeless pregnant woman
- Stolen giant pumpkin stolen returned to South Dakota grower
- Hurricane Joaquin moving over open Atlantic away from land
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- The Latest: Hundreds of roads, bridges still closed
- Despite sunny forecast, South Carolina ordeal far from over
- US government deports fewest immigrants in nearly a decade
- NATO chief: Russian jets in Turkish airspace no accident
- Pope aims to assure conservatives: marriage doctrine safe
- The Latest: French pull 7 Syrians from cold water off Calais
- Ukraine rebels to delay elections
- The Latest: British minister rejects EU migration pact
- Nigeria Senate names 20 nominees for president's new Cabinet
- The Latest: Nobel laureate's work built on previous winner
- The Latest: German official holds migrant forecast 800,000
- Indian cleric aims to stop Muslim youth from joining IS
- The Latest: Hungary plans to step up fight against quotas
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!