2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
Eastbrook Middle School 8th grader, Brisa Mandujano, is the overall winner of the 2012 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School.
The design chosen out of 193 entries includes the phrase, “Recycle, it’s the natural thing to do” which was the theme for America Recycles Day 2011. It features a group of students passing recyclable items, like bottles and cans, to each other and placing them in a green recycling bin.
The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in the Whitfield County area for at least one month. This is the third year of the design contest open to Whitfield County middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade attending either a public or private school that recycles with Target Recycling.
The billboard design contest had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level. The nine students, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with America Recycles Day items and products made from recycled materials. Their entries can be seen online at www.DWSWA.org.
• 1st Place – Jessie Zambrano, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Philip Le, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Viviana Juijon, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Haley Chapman, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Karina L. Gonzales, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Jesus Hernandez, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Brisa Mandujano, Eastbrook Middle School
• 2nd Place – Nicolas Perez, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Johnny Huynh, Dalton Middle School
America Recycles Day is celebrating 15 years of being a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to recycle visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information call 706-278-5001 or visit www.dwswa.org and click on ‘recycling’.
Photo: Brisa Mandujano, an 8th grader from Eastbrook Middle School, is the winner of this year’s America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest. Pictured is a mockup of the artwork that will be featured on two billboards in Whitfield County.2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 2 Georgia men sentenced for robbing postal workers
- Senate sends bill detailing school takeover to governor
- Police chief: Shooting investigation to be reviewed by GBI
- Man charged in noose left on integration statue at Ole Miss
- 3 arrested, charged in death of man who was decapitated
- Lockheed to pay $2M to settle allegations it overbilled govt
- Georgia House defeats bill preventing plastic bag bans
- Bill allowing third-party lending for solar panels to Deal
- Deal signs order requiring readiness for marijuana law
- Police: Hammer-wielding intruder shot dead inside Macon home
- Police officer wounded, suspect killed in Boston shootout
- Mystery of California hilltop piano solved
- US rescues Saudi airmen from water south of Yemen
- Oregon's pink chicken mystery solved; owner explains
- Chinese drywall company pays $3.2 million to 7 homeowners
- Alaska police officers corral grazing miniature horses
- Rosewood massacre activist dies at 72
- Jury says Silicon Valley firm did not discriminate
- Nurse reunited with injured Afghan children she helped
- Police report claims misconduct in officer body camera case
- Venezuela to present anti-US petition at summit with Obama
- Guatemala arrests gang suspect in journalist's killing
- Mexico sets 25 pct pollution cut by 2030 for climate talks
- Hezbollah leader slams Saudi intervention in Yemen
- Greek ferry reaches island port after stranded for 2 days
- Snowden meets Swedish lawmakers in Moscow
- AP Interview: Ukraine PM: Russia could spark new offensive
- Report: Cluster bomb wounds 6 boys in southern Lebanon
- UN draft resolution would not lift Libya arms embargo
- Northern Chile works to recover after floods kill 9
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!