2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
Eastbrook Middle School 8th grader, Brisa Mandujano, is the overall winner of the 2012 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School.
The design chosen out of 193 entries includes the phrase, “Recycle, it’s the natural thing to do” which was the theme for America Recycles Day 2011. It features a group of students passing recyclable items, like bottles and cans, to each other and placing them in a green recycling bin.
The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in the Whitfield County area for at least one month. This is the third year of the design contest open to Whitfield County middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade attending either a public or private school that recycles with Target Recycling.
The billboard design contest had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level. The nine students, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with America Recycles Day items and products made from recycled materials. Their entries can be seen online at www.DWSWA.org.
• 1st Place – Jessie Zambrano, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Philip Le, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Viviana Juijon, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Haley Chapman, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Karina L. Gonzales, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Jesus Hernandez, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Brisa Mandujano, Eastbrook Middle School
• 2nd Place – Nicolas Perez, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Johnny Huynh, Dalton Middle School
America Recycles Day is celebrating 15 years of being a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to recycle visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information call 706-278-5001 or visit www.dwswa.org and click on ‘recycling’.
Photo: Brisa Mandujano, an 8th grader from Eastbrook Middle School, is the winner of this year’s America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest. Pictured is a mockup of the artwork that will be featured on two billboards in Whitfield County.2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Group rallies in Ga. to protest Missouri shooting
- GA teen found with bullets at school faces charges
- 4 accused of throwing rocks from Ga. overpass
- Heat advisory issued in middle, east Georgia
- Arrested US judge embarrassed, entering treatment
- Rapper Gucci Mane sentenced on federal gun charge
- Fiery crash shuts down westbound lanes of I-20
- Georgia Aquarium continues effort to import whales
- 6 Tuskegee students finally home from Liberia
- Rocks tossed from bridge strike vehicles on I-985
- Boat blast at Long Island marina kills 1, hurts 1
- 3 Ferguson area schools practice at Rams facility
- Marijuana supplier named Pot Playboy gets 27 years
- McConnell, Grimes spar at Kentucky farm forum
- Teens deny threatening boy in school shooting plot
- CEO: Kidnappers threatened Foley's life last week
- FBI chief calls Islamic terror group 'savages'
- Father's claims he didn't kill driver get boost
- New details in Oregon beach killing
- AG Holder meeting with Michael Brown's parents
- Venezuela's president pays visit to Fidel Castro
- Main subway line blacked out in Chile's capital
- Thai army ruler expected to become new premier
- Bahamas identifies victims of small plane crash
- Father of Norway's mass murderer asks: What if?
- French protesters urge end to Israeli airstrikes
- Iran's parliament dismisses moderate minister
- US names Hondurans to drug kingpin list
MONROVIA, Liberia (AP) -- The World Health Organization says the death toll from the Ebola outbreak in West Africa is now at least 1,350 people.
- Afghanistan orders New York Times reporter to leave the country over his election story
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!