2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
Eastbrook Middle School 8th grader, Brisa Mandujano, is the overall winner of the 2012 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School.
The design chosen out of 193 entries includes the phrase, “Recycle, it’s the natural thing to do” which was the theme for America Recycles Day 2011. It features a group of students passing recyclable items, like bottles and cans, to each other and placing them in a green recycling bin.
The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in the Whitfield County area for at least one month. This is the third year of the design contest open to Whitfield County middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade attending either a public or private school that recycles with Target Recycling.
The billboard design contest had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level. The nine students, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with America Recycles Day items and products made from recycled materials. Their entries can be seen online at www.DWSWA.org.
• 1st Place – Jessie Zambrano, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Philip Le, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Viviana Juijon, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Haley Chapman, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Karina L. Gonzales, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Jesus Hernandez, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Brisa Mandujano, Eastbrook Middle School
• 2nd Place – Nicolas Perez, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Johnny Huynh, Dalton Middle School
America Recycles Day is celebrating 15 years of being a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to recycle visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information call 706-278-5001 or visit www.dwswa.org and click on ‘recycling’.
Photo: Brisa Mandujano, an 8th grader from Eastbrook Middle School, is the winner of this year’s America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest. Pictured is a mockup of the artwork that will be featured on two billboards in Whitfield County.2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- In Supreme Court loss, death penalty foes see an opening
- Smyrna police to begin wearing body cameras
- Largest Southern Co. subsidiary enters rooftop solar market
- Georgia gas, hotel taxes to increase starting Wednesday
- Finalist named for Georgia Regents University presidency
- Georgia gas taxes to increase starting Wednesday
- Embattled rebel flag reassessed at Georgia's Stone Mountain
- Man drowns in state park in south Georgia
- Teens storm Georgia Wal-Mart in wild rampage of destruction
- 2 Fantasy 5 players win jackpot worth $100,509.28
- Widow of prominent Ky. defense lawyer sues over his killing
- Family of immigrant killed by police gets documents
- Service honors last of 9 Charleston church shooting victims
- Authorities: Gay slur carved into Utah man's arm was staged
- White House intruders beware: New fence to have metal spikes
- Plea deal appears to be in works for ex-California senator
- Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerks who refuse licenses
- White House fence jumpers beware: Metal spikes being added
- Grenade-shaped perfume bottle leads to courthouse evacuation
- Internal Veterans Affairs watchdog retires amid criticism
- Smoking ban seems cause of 15-hour Australian prison riot
- Man accused in Boko Haram abduction of Chibok girls arrested
- French soldiers accused of sexual abuse of minors in Africa
- US senator on visit to Venezuela amid diplomatic detente
- Police replace soldiers on security duty in big Rio slum
- Yemen fighting allows 1,200 prisoners to flee
- Israel deports Gaza flotilla activists
- US opening market to Argentina, Brazil beef imports
- Rights group says airstrikes in Yemen killed many civilians
- Jobs program needed for Syrian refugees, UN official says
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!